Slashdot: Gentoo in Crisis, Robbins Offers Solution

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Slashdot: Gentoo in Crisis, Robbins Offers Solution

Postby DontPanic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 21:05

Slashdot has a recent item on problems at Gentoo:

Gentoo in Crisis, Robbins Offers Solution

I didn't find that much new there, but it's often interesting to see the diverse opinions that come out of a Slashdot discussion.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Re: Slashdot: Gentoo in Crisis, Robbins Offers Solution

Postby wolfden » Sun Jan 13, 2008 23:15

The only ones against it are the Devs and Admins. The community wants Gentoo to take the offer and I hope they do. Gentoo has needed a house cleaning for sometime now.

Also see for more info:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-644321.html
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-645077.html
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby freeallbadgers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 16:27

“I just finished compiling glibc and now it says there is a new update available? Arrgh! It never ends!!”
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jan 14, 2008 19:01

nice nice - the community has spoken
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby eshum » Mon Jan 14, 2008 20:44

"nice nice - the community has spoken" The community is speaking the question however is anybody listening. Also how would a Gentoo collapse effect Sabayon? Would not want to see Sabayon caught in the whirlpool of a sinking ship.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby DontPanic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 21:13

Gentoo isn't going to implode overnight.

But I think the status of Gentoo is one reason you see lxnay working so hard on Equo/Entropy.

Equo/Entropy should provide the foundation for facilitating the switch to another distro's package base.

The core development team for SabayonLinux is very small compared to just about any other distro with a comparable popularity. One way they accomplish this is by hitching a ride on the package management system of another distribution (currently Gentoo). SabayonLinux has a smaller subset of packages that they customize to differentiate SabayonLinux, and they let Gentoo take care of the other 90-95% of the packages.

It's an arrangement that should be beneficial to both Gentoo and SabayonLinux. Gentoo gets the benefit of Sabayon's experience in working better with laptops, wifi, video graphics, etc.

I'll miss Gentoo if SabayonLinux has to move on. I really love the fine-grained control I can get with Gentoo, and I love the way SabayonLinux shows me how to make all that fine-grained control actually work.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jan 14, 2008 21:15

Gentoo will survive no doubt about it
wolfden
Sharecropper

No Gentoo = No Sabayon?

Postby koalasprint » Mon Jan 14, 2008 23:30

Hi People.

I am not a Sabayon user as yet, but I like what i see with this project. I am waiting for the arrival of 3.5 final before installing it on my pc.
My only concern in doing this is that I have noticed mention of recent 'problems' in the Gentoo development community. One such mention is at Distrowatch.com in their most recent newsletter http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080114. According to that, things are obviously not looking great for Gentoo at this stage.

So my question is this.......
Since Sabayon is Gentoo based, how will Sabayon be affected if things go awry with the Gentoo developers and they close the doors?

Thanks for your time

koalasprint.
koalasprint
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jan 14, 2008 23:43

Merged Topics

No Fear, Gentoo will Survive. Portage is very active, Plans are to go from a GWN to a GWM, which is perfectly fine. The trustees are different/seperate thing. There will be change tho if Daniel comes back and it will be for the good I think. Gentoo has needed a house cleaning for sometime now. They are running the good devs off cause of some certain arrogant devs. Gentoo flourished under Daniel and it will again.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby koalasprint » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:39

Thanks for the redirection and information.

Things don't look too grim after all. :D

Apologies for doubling up on the topic. I did a forum search for 'Gentoo' to find something similar but apparently the word was too common to search for.

Regards

koalasprint
koalasprint
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic