The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007

Postby wolfden » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:03

Really great article here

The year is winding down and while we have a lot to look forward to next year, what were the greatest Linux innovations of this year? This year at Phoronix, we have published over 325 articles, with most of them being Linux hardware and graphics reviews, and that is in addition to over 700 original news entries. After spending much time in considering what the "best" and most substantial Linux gains over the year have been, we have comprised a list of what we believe are the greatest Linux innovations of 2007 along with our reasoning behind these decisions.

Picks:
Virtualization In The Linux Kernel
Linux Desktop Eye-Candy (3D Desktop)
ATI Linux v2.0
DeviceVM's SplashTop

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =940&num=1

Of what they picked, I think Beryl - Compiz were the biggest draw for people
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 19:47

Thanks for the URL, it is indeed a good article. Glad to see ATI (now owned by AMD) get a mention now that they have woken up to Linux. Skype didn't get a mention, but Skype for Linux has made big strides in 2007 and the company is clearly taking Linux more seriously these days. I reckon 2007 will be seen as the year Linux finally turned the corner. Even if Linux occupies less than 1% of the market, interest is clearly increasing.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34

Yes Skype, I agree. I don't use it myself but a lot of people do.

2007 probably had one of the biggest growths of linux users in a while. Computer manufacturers are even taking linux more seriously and countries around the world have switched to open source. I think those are big steps also.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Off Topic