Tesco selling Linux PCs!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Tesco selling Linux PCs!

Post by darkscot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 16:07

Incredible but true! :shock:
Tesco are selling basic desktop PCs pre-installed with Linux! It doesn't say what KIND of Linux but I am betting Ubuntu.
http://tinyurl.com/3bugto
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |

Shanghaied
Young Hen

Re: Tesco selling Linux PCs!

Post by Shanghaied » Fri Oct 19, 2007 16:32

Great News,
I also bet on Ubuntu (how much will you bet) because the advert says Ubuntu 6.06.
Now I just have to find that Tesco store is it in UK?

Cheers!
Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2
Intel Pentium M 2.13Ghz, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB, 17" WUXGA, Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG, Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, Hitachi 60Gb 7200 rpm

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 18:29

Shanghaied wrote:Great News,
I also bet on Ubuntu (how much will you bet) because the advert says Ubuntu 6.06.
You are right! Either I never noticed that or they had updated the site!
Now I just have to find that Tesco store is it in UK?
It is a UK company but they have stores abroad as well. But this offer is from their online service, I don't know if they are available in stores yet.

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 19:21

Now I know why I was confused! This one doesn't mention Ubuntu!
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-6129.aspx

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 21:10

Coincidentally, I'm typing this on a PC running Ubuntu 6.06.

I wonder if the Tesco PCs will sell? Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is very solid but looks a bit dated, and some of the applications are earlier, and buggier, versions (e.g. OOo 2.0). I hope Tesco has preconfigured Ubuntu 6.06 with the video and audio codecs, because your average Tesco customer is not going to know how to do it. Still, if the buyer only wants to browse the Web (Firefox 1.5.12), send e-mail (Evolution) and type the odd letter, they could do worse. The Ubuntu automatic updater works very well indeed (only security-related fixes and major bugs are updated for 6.06).

Mind you, Vista is not flying off the shelves, is it?: Vista hits sales at Currys owner

ScottAS
Young Hen

Post by ScottAS » Fri Oct 19, 2007 21:23

All

I think that it's fantastic that it's being sold however I'm disappointed at the fact that the aforementioned Web site doesn't contain important relevant information, details of the included Open Source software, the ability to provide support for common popular devices including that of the Apple iPod, CREATIVE Zen and Cowon iAudio D2 portable media devices. I think that it's also important to provide a description of the relevant software applications which are included within the chosen Linux Operating System which in itself is not stated alongside the eSys AMD 3600 PC Base Unit product.

In fact I may take it upon myself to write a description of the product myself and submit it via their Web site.

The Web site is also incorrect because it states that the Central Processing Unit, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core, boasts an L1 Cache capacity of 1GB. Such a capacity doesn't exist and it should be stated as an L1 Cache capacity of 1MB. If it is not corrected, a customer may be able to submit a complaint because of the fact that the product sold was sold whilst being misrepresented.

The information regarding the eSys AMD 3600 PC Base Unit product's PC Sound Card is also incorrect, stating that it's provided via 6 USB 2.0 Ports. It should be stated as Integrated 6 Channel AC 97 if my assumption is correct. The Web site FAQ states the following regarding misrepresentation of a sold item.
Tesco Stores Ltd. - Tesco.Com - Tesco Direct Help Terms And Conditions

What if the product I have received appears to be different from the description?

We have taken care to display and describe items as accurately as possible. Despite this we regret that slight variations may occur. We will always try to arrange for a replacement product or alternatively a refund will be given.
Scott

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:17

Fitzcarraldo wrote: I hope Tesco has preconfigured Ubuntu 6.06 with the video and audio codecs, because your average Tesco customer is not going to know how to do it.
I think that is a very good point. If these PCs 'just work' and do everything that the average user wants then potentially it is a huge boost for Linux. On the other hand, if users find they cannot play DVDs or watch the 'amusing' MPEGs their Windows using friends email them then it could be a step backwards.

monday90
Simple Hen

Post by monday90 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 13:21

Although I feel that generally its a good thing for Linux PC's to have more of a market presence. The low end Celeron system looks horrible (specs wise). Although it will run Ubuntu 6.06 If anyone tries to put a more up-to-date version on there I think it would struggle, particularly if someone were to try getting Compiz to work. In this case I think it will do more harm than good. Trying to do anything on this system but basic office functions would be a nightmare. The AMD system is slightly better but I would still want more memory and better graphics.