The most annoying distro!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

xt600
Simple Hen

The most annoying distro!

Post by xt600 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:39

What is the most annoying or frustrating distro you ever tried?

For me it has been Suse 10.3 and Gentoo 2007. Suse messed up my distro that was on another partition so that it would not boot. (It does not give enough freedom in it's partition manager) and I have never been able to even run Gentoo's LiveCD. I read that they do not even have the drivers for my video card on the cd. Sabayon installs with no problem after adding res & refresh settings.

Injerto
Baby Hen

Re: The most annoying distro!

Post by Injerto » Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:31

Fedora 7 has been the most annoying distro for me: I burned the ISO and then booted from it, and the installer says that it can't find any installation file.. even when the Fedora 6 version installed without any inconvenient..

Anyway, i'm on my way to try the Sabayon 3.4 tomorrow, but I still keep the 3.0 as the best distro I've ever tryed since Conectiva

kwagster
Baby Hen

Post by kwagster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 21:01

Fedora gave me a tough time burning... the checksum wasnt right.

anyways the worst was prob freespire.
my mouse kept on scrolling towards the top left even when i left it alone.
that ticked me off a lot

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:33

CentOS - only distro I have ever tried that would not detect my mouse using a KVM switch.

ScottAS
Young Hen

Post by ScottAS » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00

All

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't been irritated by an Linux Operating System I've used although having using Xandros Desktop Linux 4.0, I certainly didn't enjoy using it and my opinion of it is that it is extremely basic in comparison to other Linux Operating Systems available. I think that the Ubuntu Linux Operating System is somewhat irritating, although my opinion is that I think that it's irritating because of the fact that it isn't as flexible as other Operating Systems I've used. I think that the non-inclusion of proprietary device drivers is also irritating and is an example of the fact that politics within Linux Operating System organizations can have a deterimental effect and can ignore what is best for the majority of End Users.

XT600

Which problems have you encountered with openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.3? I use openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.2 x86-64 install via a second Hard Disk alongside Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Feisty Fawn x86 and I think that it's a fantastic Operating System. I certainly enjoy the simple software application management, and the fact that it is simple to install software applications that I'd like to use without concerning myself about additional software applications required in order to use it because of the fact that the majority of my favourite software applications include such dependant modules.

Scott
Last edited by ScottAS on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:34, edited 1 time in total.

xt600
Simple Hen

Post by xt600 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 16:58

ScottAS wrote:All

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't been irritated by an Linux Operating System I've used although having using Xandros Desktop Linux 4.0, I certainly didn't enjoy using it and my opinion of it is that it is extremely basic in comparison to other Linux Operating Systems available. I think that the Ubuntu Linux Operating System is somewhat irritating, although my opinion is that I think that it's irritating because of the fact that it isn't as flexible as other Operating Systems I've used.

I think that the non-inclusion of proprietary device drivers is also irritating and is an example of the fact that politics within Linux Operating System organizations can have a deterimental effect and can ignore what is best for the majority of End Users.

XT600

Which problems have you encountered with openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.3? I have openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.2 x86-64 installed on a second Hard Disk alongside Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Feisty Fawn x86 and I think that it's a fantastic Operating System.

Scott

Two things about Suse 10.3

1. It messed up my partition access somehow to Ubuntu 7.10 which was on the same hard drive (twice). I have installed Linux distros for years and never had that problem. I like to manually partition my drive and I think if I remember correctly Suse would not let me do that and decided to use my Ubuntu /home directory and that is what caused the problem.

2. It is slower than Ubuntu or Sabayon Linux. The repositories also seem slower to me for some reason.

However if it works for you then that is good! :)

Sabayon Linux is the best for me. To each his own!

#1 Sabayon Linux
#2 Ubuntu
#3 Mint, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, etc

Gigadelic IIDX
Simple Hen

Post by Gigadelic IIDX » Sat Oct 13, 2007 22:19

il say

Gentoo
Ubuntu 5.10

couldnt never get Gentoo to install right and Ubuntu's update shit killed the OS making me reinstall

ScottAS
Young Hen

Post by ScottAS » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:00

XT600

As far as I'm aware, the Linux Kernel included within openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.3 had become obsolete during the week previous to its announcement because of the fact that an upgrade had become available although it has caused multiple problems for many people including the inability to boot their Operating System once the Linux Kernel had been installed and loss of access to directories via Microsoft Windows shared directories. I am downloading the Operating System at this current time and am intending to install the Operating System onto my Laptop PC in order to conclude as to whether or not I'll encounter problems via my Desktop PC.

As far as I'm concerned, and aside from the fact that I'm not using openSUSE GNU/Linux because I fear Microsoft Corp.'s claims of Intellectual Property infringement, I do not think that the Operating System has become too large in comparison to its required resources, the Operating System is extremely scalable, as is the Linux Kernel itself therefore it's not as though it isn't capable of managing its required resources in an efficient manner. An example of the efficiency of the Linux Kernel is the fact that a 32-bit Linux Kernel can address in excess of 4GB RAM regardless of the fact that a traditional 32-bit Operating System Kernel cannot if traditional mathematics of binary are to be obeyed.

The Linux Kernel is the only Operating System Kernel to my knowledge that is able to defy the aforementioned traditional concept; as far as I'm aware, the Apple Mac OS X 32-bit Mach Kernel, nor the Microsoft Windows XP NT 5.1 32-bit Kernel, nor the Microsoft Windows Vista NT 6.0 32-bit Kernel are able to perform this task however I do not know as to the state of the Sun Microsystems Solaris 10 Operating System Kernel.

:)

Scott

Shanghaied
Young Hen

Post by Shanghaied » Wed Oct 17, 2007 16:39

Sabayon definitly.

I leave to work compiling some stuff AI (Chinese for Maid) comes and shuts down the computer while cleaning ( I thought it would be finished by the time she arrives but No No NO that's the dilemma of compiling you really never know how long it will take).
I still stick o Sabayon though i think I'm a Masochist!
I recompiled the Kernel at least 3 times successfully the last quarter. The updating (blocked packs etc is the problem) and yes I study the flags but it's a bit overwhelming sometimes (sabayoun has at least 50 cryptic flags in make.conf).
I think a wiki describing the different flags would be useful however probably nobody knows these flags anyway.
All the Docs I find is in Gentoo and it's very far from Sabayon that has so many packages by default ( look at the use flags in Gentoo it 's maybe a tenth of the default flags used in Sabayon).

It's interesting to see the comments that Ubuntu or Suse is annoying. These distros are rock solid and you really have to be a Moron to fuck one of these distro's up.
Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2
Intel Pentium M 2.13Ghz, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB, 17" WUXGA, Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG, Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, Hitachi 60Gb 7200 rpm

breise
Baby Hen

Post by breise » Wed Oct 17, 2007 16:49

Shanghaied wrote:Sabayon definitly.
It's interesting to see the comments that Ubuntu or Suse is annoying. These distros are rock solid and you really have to be a Moron to fuck one of these distro's up.
:D True that!