Linux Operating System Mobile Phone Suggestion

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

ScottAS
Young Hen

Linux Operating System Mobile Phone Suggestion

Post by ScottAS » Mon Oct 08, 2007 21:38

All

I own a Motorola L6 model mobile phone and because of increased unreliability and because of the fact that I've become increasingly frustrated with its intermittent operation, I am considering purchasing a replacement model. Because I've become accustomed to the fantastic reliability of the Linux Operating System, I am considering purchasing a mobile phone which utilizes the Operating System although I do not know which devices offer such a feature however I am aware of the fact that the Nokia N73 mobile phone utilizes a Symbian Operating System, although it also utilizes support for DRM, which I am opposed to.

Whilst modern mobile phones include a plethora of enhanced multimedia features, I don't require an integrated camera, nor do I require multimedia features, however I would appreciate being able to transfer and listen to music content encoded via an OGG encoder if at all possible however I would be prepared to encode my music content into an MP3 file format if it is not possible to do so otherwise. My wishes may be difficult to source because of the fact that the majority of modern mobile phone are adorned with the aforementioned multimedia features in order to appeal to a large number of people. The FIC Neo 1973 OpenMoko mobile phone is a mobile phone which I would consider, however it is an experimental product at this time and is not supported within the United Kingdom by service providers. My service provider is O2 Ltd.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4344232 - Nokia Inc. - Nokia N73

http://www.s60.com/ - S60.Com - Symbian Operating System

http://www.openmoko.com/ - OpenMoko.Com - FIC Neo 1973 OpenMoko Mobile Phone

Scott
Last edited by ScottAS on Sun Oct 21, 2007 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Eden
Growing Hen

Re: Linux Operating System Mobile Phone Suggestion

Post by Eden » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:23

ScottAS wrote:The FIC Neo 1973 OpenMoko mobile phone is a mobile phone which I would consider, however it is an experimental product at this time and is not supported within the United Kingdom by service providers. My service provider is O2 Ltd.
It works with any GSM provider http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_c ... ed_Kingdom
Sabayon Wiki Admin

Sabayon Wiki Editors needed.

ScottAS
Young Hen

Post by ScottAS » Tue Oct 09, 2007 15:27

Eden wrote:
ScottAS wrote:The FIC Neo 1973 OpenMoko mobile phone is a mobile phone which I would consider, however it is an experimental product at this time and is not supported within the United Kingdom by service providers. My service provider is O2 Ltd.
It works with any GSM provider http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_c ... ed_Kingdom
Eden

As far as I was aware, the above mobile phone wasn't compatible with my mobile phone service provider at the time of its announcement July 2007, however it has obviously changed since its announcement. I would consider purchasing it, given that it's absolutely perfect for my use. Because of the fact that it's a device which is in continued development, I'd be cautious as to the quality of the Operating System at this time. Unfortunately the cost of the device will increase dramatically once the device is available to the general public, however I may be able to purchase it if it's possible to have my payment converted into the appropriate currency.

Scott

kevmille
Young Hen

Post by kevmille » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:23

If available, you should try the Motorola e6 Rokr, a Linux phone running Montavista Linux. I haved used it here in Vietnam for over 6 months now. I used it's predecessor, the Motorola e680i, for 2 years before that. Great phone.

I hope to replace my iPhone with the openMoko information the future :D
My Blog: SaigonNezumi.com
My Company: Hakata Group
Twitter: saigonnezumi
Sabayon Linux Thinkpad T60

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 22:19

I read recently that the Motorola Razr2 is Linux-based too.

ScottAS
Young Hen

Post by ScottAS » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:40

Fitzcarraldo, Eden, KevMille

I would like to thank you each for your advice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate an FIC Neo 1973 mobile phone within the United Kingdom due to the fact that the device is available only within Asia at this current time, however I hope that I'll be able to purchase it in due course should it become available although it being an in-development device, I would certainly be wary of potential problem, especially if it's required to be used in an emergency situation as correct operation is critical. I've researched each of the suggested mobile phone models and have become very interested in using the Motorola Rokr 2 mobile phone and am going to conduct further research.

:)

Scott

kevmille
Young Hen

Post by kevmille » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:13

You meant the Motorola Rokr e6 right? Great phone. No wifi though but it will suffice until a newer model comes out.

By the way, you can flash into any Motorola phone. Just visit this link:

http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/index.php
My Blog: SaigonNezumi.com
My Company: Hakata Group
Twitter: saigonnezumi
Sabayon Linux Thinkpad T60