The reason people distro hop

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The reason people distro hop

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18

ashley194 wrote:Hi BlueJayofEvil, I've been reading a lot about FreeBSD 7.0 & looks very interesting. The install routine sounds bit of a nightmare though, may wait for the 64 bit DVD to become available before giving this a serious look. On second-thoughts, my SL does all I want, extremely well. As the old saying goes 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' :lol: After a year of using SL 99%, with the occasional weekend off, it may be time to see if the grass is greener on the other-side :D

Please forgive the lateness of my reply. FreeBSD takes quite a bit of learning (more than Gentoo, IMO). It was quite a nice learning experience. I managed to get my sound and video drivers working as well as KDE. But FreeBSD is still a long way from being what GNU/Linux distro's are today. I can see why FreeBSD and its cousins are mainly viewed as server-oriented operating systems. But they do have some great features.
It was nice seeing and trying the inspiration to Portage, the *BSD Ports Collection. I did not test the experimental ZFS support (they say not to use ZFS on anything less than a 64-bit system). A few shortcomings of FreeBSD are the lack of Flash 9 and many "ports" are not up-to-date.

I'm back using Sabayon now, and I'll continue to use it for awhile until some new distro's to test come out. I'm looking forward to seeing what Fedora 9 will offer. But Sabayon will always be my favorite. :D
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby Ookami » Sat Apr 12, 2008 20:17

The first Linux distribution I tried was SUSE, a long time ago. I tried Ubuntu over a year ago, which led me to using Sabayon. I then stopped using that and switched to Mint, which is basically Ubuntu but it looks better.

I will switch back to Sabayon as soon as the final 3.5 version comes out, and who knows I may switch to yet another distro after that :lol:
Ookami
Baby Hen

Postby ashley194 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 23:10

Yesterday (Saturday), I downloaded Mandriva 2008.1 Free DVD, burnt to DVD & installed on Sunday morning. After a pretty painless installation, I found that my now ext3 backup HDD wasn't even recognised (should've left it as NTFS last month). So re-installed SL 3.5 x64 Loop 2 & most is running fine, except when I hit the end key it brings-up the darn main menu (I know how to fix it thanks :) ). All-in-all I wish I hadn't bothered with Mandriva at all :twisted: I know I always come back home to SL, but sometimes I get the urge to try out new things & what-not :lol:
ashley194
Technological Hen

Postby itsgregman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:49

I dont know about anyone else but Im always looking to try everything available. Up until Sabayon Id only found two other distros I thought were really good. But in the short time Ive been using Sabayon Ive been really impressed. Its got a nice learning curve and thats the main thing thats missing in so many other distros. Ive had it installed for around four days and have already messed it up beyond repair and reinstalled it. It was completely my own fault and Ive learned a lot from it Ive got to say Im having a great time and learning alot. Sabayon looks like it might become my primary operating system.
itsgregman
Baby Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Mon Apr 21, 2008 23:45

I'm currently on the new Mandriva One 2008.1 Spring edition. I'm really liking it. I also can't wait for Fedora 9 to come out in a few weeks and to a lesser extent, Ubuntu 8.04. It's amazing how much can change in a distro in just a few months. I love trying out new distro's and seeing how far they've come. Plus you get experience working with different programs, interfaces, commands and such.
On a similar note, the "Indiana" OpenSolaris project looks quite promising. I'll have to give that a shot when it comes out.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby TimmyTurner » Sat Jun 07, 2008 23:11

my hopping has been for the tinkering factor.
and i hate the overgeeked aspects that make some simple things so over complicated.
i have tried gentoo 4 times....it never installs and works.
sabayon 2 times--both times it installed and worked very nicely.
my current interests are Ubuntu--easy and it just works
all the live cd's.....
what i'd like to try and make? something like puppy with 3d game support.total minimalist distro....i only want to be able to browse web,e mail,and UT2004/other 3d type games.
and btw...this comp i am on,worked ok with UT2004 with windows xp.i took some of my DDR memory from this one to another comp and this with sabayon works
better than win XP with 256 more memory did!
i am still learning the Gentoo/Sabayon way.
great forums as well !!
and thanks wolfden! i tried the new e mail and it "just worked"

scott/Timmy
TimmyTurner
Baby Hen

Postby Gneiss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55

Sabayon is the first dostro i would like to try to install but i dare not to and told my self it to cool to run sabayon on my laptop , i kept thinking that sabayon need high requierement such as good graphic card and etc. with disapointed feeling i start my new linux journey with knoppix start to love linux.then i start to hop to ubuntu, fedora, suse, open solaris and then i find day one find day i look back to sabayon try to give a shot i installed on my laptop and i realise how fool am i that i didnt try to use for the fist time.its just work well everything . its just like u have found the perfect person in your live lol and i am telling my self sabayon it gonna be my last place to reside and i love it. dare to love and you will be loved
damn this distro is the best distrro that i ever try and the only distro that impress me :D
Sabayon linux the campione :D
Gneiss
Baby Hen

Postby Gneiss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55

Sabayon is the first dostro i would like to try to install but i dare not to and told my self it to cool to run sabayon on my laptop , i kept thinking that sabayon need high requierement such as good graphic card and etc. with disapointed feeling i start my new linux journey with knoppix start to love linux.then i start to hop to ubuntu, fedora, suse, open solaris and then i find day one find day i look back to sabayon try to give a shot i installed on my laptop and i realise how fool am i that i didnt try to use for the fist time.its just work well everything . its just like u have found the perfect person in your live lol and i am telling my self sabayon it gonna be my last place to reside and i love it. dare to love and you will be loved
damn this distro is the best distrro that i ever try and the only distro that impress me :D
Sabayon linux the campione :D
Gneiss
Baby Hen

Postby BASH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 20:34

I've tried many distros from way back to mandrake 8.2 and can't remember before that, but I know I tried others. It was before liveCD's. I've tried OpenSuse,Mandrake,Gentoo,FreeBSD,PClinux,Fedora,Ubuntu and of course Sabayon. I've stuck with Sabayon the last couple of years and it's the longest I've stayed with a distro and I plan on keeping with Sabayon! It is the best I think it has the best of other distros and it has the option for source! I'm here to stay with Sabayon now...I think people have a hard time finding one thats everything they want, and that's why they hop. When they first start looking at linux people don't really know what they want yet...
BASH
Young Hen

Postby Ookami » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:22

I've just reinstalled Sabayon, and I'm almost saddened to say that I think it's improved a huge amount since last time. I switched from Sabayon to other distros because I had minor issues here that I didn't have elsewhere, and by the time I got to Linux Mint I thought I found my perfect distro.

Which was funny, because I'm not fond of Ubuntu at all. :|

Anyway, I decided to try out the final version of 3.5 and, as I said, was surprised. It works just as good as Linux Mint, but not only that, it actually uses a style I adore without having to modify. I've ordered a laptop for college recently, and as soon as it comes, I think I might just install Sabayon over it. If it doesn't work, I'll be rather saddened. :(
Ookami
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic