The reason people distro hop

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The reason people distro hop

Postby Ollie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 23:46

I distro hopped for a while, but it is time consuming, hopefully I will stick with Sabayon for a while, I sure know I am not going to try Solaris again, not on this machine anyhow. Then again, it has only been a couple years of hopping, maybe the time to settle just hasn't happened, I mean humans like to waffle on a lot of things for a while until they find what they truly want.
"[R]omance is dead. It was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." -- Lisa Simpson
Ollie
Baby Hen

Postby xt600 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 17:08

Ollie wrote:I distro hopped for a while, but it is time consuming, hopefully I will stick with Sabayon for a while, I sure know I am not going to try Solaris again, not on this machine anyhow. Then again, it has only been a couple years of hopping, maybe the time to settle just hasn't happened, I mean humans like to waffle on a lot of things for a while until they find what they truly want.

I think Sabayon is the best distro stopper for people who are users and yet like to tinker (mess things up and try to fix them!). It is stable and you can also learn as much as you like about Gentoo, emerge, portage, etc.
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby eshum » Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:49

I quit distro hopping in April when I installed Sabayon 3.2. I had my computer setup with slide trays and used two or more hard drives with different versions of Linux and one with PCBSD 1.3 today I have one hard drive with Sabayon 3.4f on it everything works so I am standing pat for a while. :)

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby darkscot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57

I stopped 'hopping' when I discovered Sabayon (3.2 in my case). Previously I would hop about every three months, for all the reasons stated in the OP. I still like to check out other distros but now only on a Live CD.
For me Sabayon meets my requirements perfectly (almost). Things work out of the box, it comes with tons of software you didn't know you needed, it is configurable as you want it, it looks great. Even the fact that you have to do a complete reinstall when you update is a benefit as it satisfies my need to do reinstall every three months.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby xt600 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:17

darkscot wrote:I stopped 'hopping' when I discovered Sabayon (3.2 in my case). Previously I would hop about every three months, for all the reasons stated in the OP. I still like to check out other distros but now only on a Live CD.
For me Sabayon meets my requirements perfectly (almost). Things work out of the box, it comes with tons of software you didn't know you needed, it is configurable as you want it, it looks great. Even the fact that you have to do a complete reinstall when you update is a benefit as it satisfies my need to do reinstall every three months.

I agree. I am looking forward to 3.5! As for right now I am enjoying trying to learn portage and messing up my system and fixing it. :lol:
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby ashley194 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:51

I moved from XP to SL last Feb & haven't looked back (well, not that often :D ), since then I've tried Ubuntu & Fedora 7 (really didn't like either). Everytime I keep coming back to SL, even when I've trashed my SL installation :oops: . Now I run 3.4f x86_64 as my main system & love every minute of it 8)
ashley194
Technological Hen

Postby GI_James » Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:06

I started out with Mandrake (off and on throughout the years) but never stuck with it. Always got tired of linux and went back to Windows. Also tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, and other smaller distros. But always went back to windows. I went back to Linux after getting tired of my wife getting spyware and viruses. Besides... Pr0n looks better on Sabayon... oh wait... I wiped my computer clean of Windows... I do run a virtual machine w/ XP on it when I need to use my Garmin GPS software.

I tried different distros to see what the difference were and to learn.

Sabayon Rocks... I'm trying to sell my buddy on Linux, but he just ordered a Mac. Better than Vista I guess
James Strickland
Crestview, FL
StrickStuff.com
Computer
Screen
Keyboard
Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
GI_James
Simple Hen

Postby darkscot » Fri Oct 12, 2007 21:02

I have to confess that problems with installing 3.4f caused me to 'hop' at the beginning of the week. I couldn't get it to install so decided to try out the new Mandriva 2008. It looks great as a live distro but i could not get it to install on my PC. Kept getting kernel panic at first boot. So here I am back with Sabayon, but the 3.4 mini this time.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby lucknuts » Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:16

darkscot wrote:I have to confess that problems with installing 3.4f caused me to 'hop' at the beginning of the week. I couldn't get it to install so decided to try out the new Mandriva 2008. It looks great as a live distro but i could not get it to install on my PC. Kept getting kernel panic at first boot. So here I am back with Sabayon, but the 3.4 mini this time.

3.4 mini has pleased me, i have it running alll damn day. I use it for everything, the only thing i can't seem to do is burn my damn *.avi files to dvd. I found many forums and posts telling me how but they all take like 1hr just to setup to do and 30 command lines, my only downfall. otherwise i am set for now. =] woot
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Postby GI_James » Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:53

lucknuts wrote:3.4 mini has pleased me, i have it running alll damn day. I use it for everything, the only thing i can't seem to do is burn my damn *.avi files to dvd. I found many forums and posts telling me how but they all take like 1hr just to setup to do and 30 command lines, my only downfall. otherwise i am set for now. =] woot

try this: media-video/qdvdauthor

-ME
James Strickland
Crestview, FL
StrickStuff.com
Computer
Screen
Keyboard
Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
GI_James
Simple Hen