The reason people distro hop

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

The reason people distro hop

Postby xt600 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:28

many people like myself have tried out many flavors of Linux distros! Why do we do that?

1. We find out the distro does not have support for a particular hardware like digital camera, printer, video card, etc.

2. We get bored with the distro doing everything for us and giving us few choices.

3. We want to see something new, eye candy, wobbly windows etc. (curiosity)

4. The particular distro crashes after an automatic update or something no longer works. After I updated once in Ubuntu I could no longer access my digital camera! There was a fix posted on their forum.

5. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

***Sabayon Linux satisfies most if not all of these for me.

1. It supports all of my hardware

2. I get to decide what and how and can leave it alone or mess it up as many times as I want. Very configurable with make.conf, etc.

3. There is always something new to see if you want to compile it! Gnome 2.20 & KDE 4 is coming out soon.

4. So far my system has been rock solid except for the times I did something really stupid. :(

5. The grass is sometimes browner on the other side! :lol:

What are or were your reasons for distro hopping?
xt600
Simple Hen

Re: The reason people distro hop

Postby gh0s7r4v3n » Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:14

I'm currently torn between Ubuntu and Sabayon mini. :(

My reasons for

Sabayon
1. I get much better better performance in Sabayon, since the programs are compiled specifically for my config. (This is the BIGGEST reason I'm eyeing Sabayon)
2. Native Amarok support.
3. Native Compiz-Fusion support.
4. Better hardware support for my laptop. (Latitude D600)

Ubuntu
1. I personally prefer Gnome over KDE.
2. I know Debian better than Gentoo.
3. I know what the names of the packages I need to install for certain support. (E.G. Codecs, DVD Playback, Citrix) (My BIGGEST reason I still prefer Ubuntu)
4. Much quicker boot time.
5. Much less setup over head. (I can completely setup Ubuntu from scratch inside 2 hours. All, so far incomplete, Sabayon setup attempts have take at least 6 hours.)
6. More documentation, and therefore easier troubleshooting when I do hit a snag.

All
gh0s7r4v3n
Baby Hen

Postby xt600 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:28

gh0s7r4v3n wrote:I'm currently torn between Ubuntu and Sabayon mini. :(

My reasons for

Sabayon
1. I get much better better performance in Sabayon, since the programs are compiled specifically for my config. (This is the BIGGEST reason I'm eyeing Sabayon)

Ubuntu
3. I know what the names of the packages I need to install for certain support. (E.G. Codecs, DVD Playback, Citrix) (My BIGGEST reason I still prefer Ubuntu)
5. Much less setup over head. (I can completely setup Ubuntu from scratch inside 2 hours. All, so far incomplete, Sabayon setup attempts have take at least 6 hours.)
6. More documentation, and therefore easier troubleshooting when I do hit a snag.

All

Have you tried the DVD 3.4f? It also has Gnome and all the codecs + & you can recompile your programs if you like
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby gh0s7r4v3n » Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:40

I have installed with the 3.4f DVD and there was just too much installed for my tastes. I don't need both Ktorrent AND Azureus. I prefer to know what's on my system. As for installing Gnome from the DVD, the menus were horribly organized and I'd have to rearrange all of the programs. I could sit down and just --unmerge everything I don't want, or I can be finicky about it and learn the distro and syntaxes the hard way. :P It's more fun that way any way.

But until I can figure everything out, I'm still going to have to recommend Ubuntu if someone asks. :?

xt600 wrote:
gh0s7r4v3n wrote:I'm currently torn between Ubuntu and Sabayon mini. :(

My reasons for

Sabayon

Ubuntu

All

Have you tried the DVD 3.4f? It also has Gnome and all the codecs + & you can recompile your programs if you like
gh0s7r4v3n
Baby Hen

Postby xt600 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 21:54

gh0s7r4v3n wrote:I have installed with the 3.4f DVD and there was just too much installed for my tastes. I don't need both Ktorrent AND Azureus. I prefer to know what's on my system. As for installing Gnome from the DVD, the menus were horribly organized and I'd have to rearrange all of the programs. I could sit down and just --unmerge everything I don't want, or I can be finicky about it and learn the distro and syntaxes the hard way. :P It's more fun that way any way.

But until I can figure everything out, I'm still going to have to recommend Ubuntu if someone asks. :?

To each his own! :D That is the beauty of Linux. Freedom of choice

Still Sabayon 3.4f gives a lot more out of the box. Try to play a movie with Ubuntu. First you have to find the unofficial Feisty guide to find out how to get codecs, picasa, google earth, etc. and how to set up the repositories for special software. To get your system set up with all these binaries can take you literally hours and hours.

With 3.4f DVD under an hour and it even sets up your video acceleration for you. Did for me on my radeon 9600 pro agp. Ubuntu has never been able to do that! Still I do agree Ubuntu is easier in some ways. I used Ubuntu for about two years along with some other distros. I hate Suse and Mandriva. they remind me of ms windows. Too bloated and controlling.

Just my thoughts! Give Sabayon Linux more time and it might grow on you :mrgreen:
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby monday90 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 14:45

I have tried many distros in my time. The ones I spent the most time with have been SuSE and Sabayon. My reasons are that I want to install something and have it just work. Experimenting with Debian and Slackware, I found these to be good solid distros but it would take me a couple of weeks of tinkering to get *most* of my hardware working and my desktop to behave the way I wanted. Prior to using Sabayon I used SuSE as its hardware detection is very good. I could pretty much do a default install and everything was configured. I stopped using SuSE after SLED 10 and the Microsoft Novel deal as I did not agree with it and wanted to withdraw my support for that distro. In the interim I used Ubuntu but did not like the way it worked. I tried Sabayon some months later and found it to be very good. My only problem is getting my moblie phone (Sony Ericsson W850i) to work as a modem, but that's a minor problem. I imagine that in time Sabayon will progress to a point where it becomes too much for my laptop ( AMD Athlon64 3400+ 754 with ATI 9700 mobility radeon graphics). Then I will either look at another distro or consider getting a new laptop. I am currently holding out for AMD to re-write the ATI graphics drivers, as they recently said the would, because Compiz fusion is a little unstable on my system.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:31

I usually stick to one main distro, Sabayon in this case, with an honorable mention for DesktopBSD, but I like to try other distros to see what is done elsewhere and just for the fun of it. :)
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby lucknuts » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:53

I personally have tried, uBuntu, redhat, suse, sabayon, knoppix and a couple others.

Although I can never seem to get everything working how I would like it...and even that find enough help..

I know i'm a newbie to all of this, but for the most part people don't take the time to help everyone in need.

=] Decent community but help the newbs to make your community stronger.

I'd love to learn.
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Postby joost » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:25

I stopped hopping a while ago.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby eshum » Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:15

"So far my system has been rock solid except for the times I did something really stupid. :(" Pilot error continues to be the number one cause of all crashes! Just be glad your system never reaches twenty-thousand feet before the crash!
I try to avoid updates ( finally learned the meaning of if it ain't broken don' fix it).
ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic