Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs

Postby Stupot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:02

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Linux-warranty,news-26323.html

It originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed, though he’s now installed Sabayon/Gentoo.

This man is punished for using superior software. Hardware companies need to start accepting Linux, and soon.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21

wow, a broken hinge can't get repaired cause of the OS

what is the world coming too?

:?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:59

Damn that is as close to racial / Os discrimination as there is as that is a manufacturers defect. Next they are going to arrest him for eating chinese food in Oxford and not bangers and mash.

I can tell you one thing if the UK government gets hold of that acer laptop selling company they are going to fry for plenty years. Damn free publicity.

:twisted:
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:29

Some one in IRC posted a link to an article that the UK was going after MS to disbundle their OS on computers, give the people the choice of an operating system instead of being forced to buy a puter with preinstalled windows.

I think that is a great idea and will stop this branding crap with new puters.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby darkscot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:46

Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54

darkscot wrote:http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/24/globalisation_institute_windows_bundling/

Thanks!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35

Hopefully the poor man with the laptop will get good advice from the CAB as I believe that, under the "sale of goods, implied terms" act in the UK, he will be able to argue that the laptop is not fit for the purpose for which it was purchased. I'm not a lawyer but have found that the only way to deal with DSG (the parent company of several electronics retailers in the UK) is to not quit the fight.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 16:09

Linux Format's David Cartwright tells the story of his phoning BT Support because his ADSL line had died, only to be told that BT does not support people using Linux. So he phoned back and lied that he was using Windows 2000, so BT checked the line and found it was faulty and sent a technician out to repair it. :shock:
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ScottAS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 19:53

All

As far as I am aware, DSG Retail Ltd.'s claims that the removal of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium and the installation of a GNU/Linux has voided the warranty of the Laptop PC is false. Acer Inc. do not penalise their customers because of the fact that the owner may choose to install an Operating System of their choice, nor does Acer Inc. state via their warranty documentation that installing an alternative Operating System nullifies the warranty of the device whatsoever. DSG Retail Ltd.'s claims are false.

DSG Retail Ltd. are basing their claims on false information and the fact that their employees do not know how to use GNU/Linux Operating Systems. According to DSG Retail Ltd's Web site, their employees are Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technicians, however, having visited my local premises on multiple occasions, I can state that none of their employees have worn their claimed Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician badge, nor are documentation or certificates displayed.

I purchased an Apple MacBook 13-inch model circa November 2006 via DSG Retail Ltd. because of the fact that I wished to use the device before purchasing it and because of the fact that there isn't an Apple Store in my location. Within one month the device reared multiple problems. I stated that its Hard Disk, Ion-Lithium Battery and CD/DVD Optical Drive were at fault. The device was sent to an Apple Certified Repair Technician and I was sent a replacement model. I was told via the Apple Certified Repair Technician himself that he had never seen an Apple MacBook with multiple problems before and that I was extremely unfortunate.

My replacement model was also at fault; it once again boasted an Ion-Lithium Battery which resulted in an operational time of 2 hours, as opposed to the stated 6 hours of operational time via Apple Inc.'s Web site. I once again returned the device to the point of sale and was told repeatedly that my claim was false. I sought legal advice via Trading Standards Ltd. and engaged in frequent conversation with DSG Retail Ltd. 4 months onwards. DSG Retail Ltd. denied on multiple occasions that my claim was verifiable, Apple Inc. also claimed that my statement was untrue. I was given a replacement Laptop PC, an Acer Aspire 9303 WSMi, as a result of my legal advice via Trading Standards Ltd. via DSG Retail Ltd. The premises employees were extremely unhelpful, indeed the Store Manager was an extremely obnoxious person whom I made a complaint against.

One week after having received my replacement Laptop PC, Apple Inc. issued a product announcement stating that Ion-Lithium Batteries within Apple MacBook and Apple MacBook Pro models were at fault; Apple Inc. had deceived myself although I wasn't concerned due to having been compensated. As a result of my atrocious treatment, I will not purchase another Apple Inc. product nor service.

8)

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Sabayon Voids Warranties

Postby chickpea » Mon May 12, 2008 23:53

You have to read this to believe it, poor kid.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Linux-war ... 26323.html
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic