Apple cuts price of iPhone!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Apple cuts price of iPhone!

Postby darkscot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32

Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Re: Apple cuts price of iPhone!

Postby ScottAS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 22:01

DarkScot

Although I'm pleased that the price of the Apple iPhone has been reduced, I have concerns about Apple Inc.'s latest announcements, more-so the effect the announcements have on the Apple iPhone itself. I don't like the Apple iPod Touch whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned, and in my opinion, it is a poor product and a result of a lack thereof of inspiration. It doesn't meld into the current Apple iPod product range nor does it have an aesthetic appeal; to myself at least. Each time I look at the device, I mistake it for an Apple iPhone.

What is apparent however is the fact that it's certainly not a signature product many have come to expect, it doesn't feature a revolutionary GUI; as soon as I saw the device, I became disappointed; it's become an immediate anti-climax. The Apple iPod Touch could have become amazing product. I think the Apple iPod Classic is going to become the best-selling portable media product of 2007; although it's almost as expensive as the Apple iPod Touch, I certainly don't require a touch-senstive interface; the Apple iPod click wheel is as intuitive and as natural as I've come to expect from Apple Inc.

Another major factor I'm concerned about is the lack thereof of a large capacity. The Apple iPhone is a mobile phone and an Apple iPod, integrated into one-another. It's perfect. It performs a dual function and will appeal to those who wish to replace both devices. The release and announcement of the Apple iPod Touch, in my opinion, is going to cause a problem for Apple Inc. because of the fact that their Apple iPhone has become the best-selling mobile phone and mobile device as of recent; the Apple iPod Touch wasn't required. It's a product with no use because the Apple iPhone can cater for every function the Apple iPod Touch has and supercede it; even more-so given that the Apple iPhone has become extremely affordable to many people.

:)

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby maumike » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:49

ScottAS wrote:Another major factor I'm concerned about is the lack thereof of a large capacity. The Apple iPhone is a mobile phone and an Apple iPod, integrated into one-another. It's perfect. It performs a dual function and will appeal to those who wish to replace both devices. The release and announcement of the Apple iPod Touch, in my opinion, is going to cause a problem for Apple Inc. because of the fact that their Apple iPhone has become the best-selling mobile phone and mobile device as of recent; the Apple iPod Touch wasn't required. It's a product with no use because the Apple iPhone can cater for every function the Apple iPod Touch has and supercede it; even more-so given that the Apple iPhone has become extremely affordable to many people.

That's not entirely true. The iPhone is GSM, so anyone not using a GSM network can't use it. Furthermore, to use it with any GSM network other than AT&T's (which in the U.S. I think is limited to T-Mobile), you have to go through the trouble of unlocking the phone. So unless you've got AT&T, it's not such a no-brainer to chose the iPhone over the iPod touch.

That being said, I agree that the iPod classic is a better choice. With my current iPod, I can control it without looking and even through thin cloth (like the sleeve case that came with it or my pocket) and I don't see that being possible or at least quite so easy with the iPod touch.
maumike
Simple Hen

Postby darkscot » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:09

With the Ipod, Apple set the standard for 'mp3' players. At least in terms of style and functionality. With the IPhone they are basically going where others have gone before. I have a T-Mobile MDA (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article479.html) which looks very like an iPhone and does most things that an iPhone does. It may not be as stylish or have such a snazzy user interface but then it only cost me £30 ($60) with contract. Also it is only one of a growing number of serious competitors.
http://www.mobilewhack.com/top-ten-list ... mpetitors/
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby maumike » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:56

darkscot wrote:With the IPhone they are basically going where others have gone before.

So true. There's nothing that I've seen about the iPhone that's really compelling enough to make me want to spend the extra money on it instead of buying one of the many cheaper alternatives. That and the fact the iPhone won't even work with my current cell phone company, even if I were to unlock it. :wink:
maumike
Simple Hen

Postby ScottAS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 16:24

DarkScot, MauMike

Am I the only person contemplating as to why Apple Inc. are apologizing to their customers because they've reduced the price of the Apple iPhone?

I assumed that a price reduction would be greeted with applause because of the fact that the device has become affordable for many people, alas Apple iPhone Users can't comprehend the fact that the price en masse of EEPROM Memory reduces each day as the product becomes less expensive to produce therefore it is natural for a product to be reduced in price because it is simple to gain a profit because of the reduced price. Unfortunately, because of the fact that many Apple Mac Users believe that Apple Inc. should be made accountable for their actions, and because it is believed that Apple Inc. should compensate their purchase because of the fact that such an expense was paid at the time of purchase, many are feeling insulted.

Apple Inc. should not be made to compensate for a product that the Corporation controls. If I may be excused, I'm going to pen a letter to every component manufacturer whose products I have in my Desktop PC and claim that I paid an unfair price at the time of purchase and as such wish to be compensated.

:roll: :P

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby Eden » Fri Sep 07, 2007 16:38

darkscot wrote:With the Ipod, Apple set the standard for 'mp3' players. At least in terms of style and functionality.

Erm, no they haven't. Apart from there design the ipod has always been behind the competition, and it will likely continue that way. Touch screen isnt new the Cowon iaudio D2 (which i have) has been out for a while with this functionality but not only that the D2 is better in every way compared to any of the apple ipod range, and you can look it up if you don't believe me, it has a better colour screen, better media format support, more features, GNU/Linux compatible, better battery life and with the exception of the hdd ipods it has a higher capacity (though not for long with the new high capacity SD cards coming out).

And this is similar with numerous other DAP's out there.

Theres a reason for it though, Apple dont and probably never will release a fully featured product, it isnt in there nature. With the ipod they will continue to release the same ipod with a single new feature, slightly improved battery life and a little more capacity, and the funny thing is people will buy them, i wouldn't be surprised if there are numerous people with every ipod released because they wanted the 'latest' new feature.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby ScottAS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 17:22

Eden

Wow. Cowon Systems Inc.'s products are amazing! Wow! I own an Apple iPod Shuffle and although I can use Amarok 1.4 Fast Forward to listen to my audio content, I can't write content to the device nor can I use Open Source file formats to listen to my content. I like listening to my content using an OGG file format; to myself the audio quality is superior to alternative file formats I've used and the file size is minimal; I gather that that Cowon D2 is able to cope with such file formats? I'm considering purchasing it. Does it also allow the use of the device as a Hard Disk? The fact that I can't use Apple iTunes has forced me to re-consider my current device and replace it with a superior model.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/prod ... eature.php - Cowon Systems Inc. - Cowon iAudio D2

:)

Scott
Last edited by ScottAS on Sat Sep 22, 2007 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby Eden » Fri Sep 07, 2007 19:25

ScotAS the D2 supports both .ogg and .flac and it acts like any normal flash drive when you plug it in.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby ScottAS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:16

[quote="Eden"]ScotAS the D2 supports both .ogg and .flac and it acts like any normal flash drive when you plug it in.[/quote]

Eden

Excellent. To be honest, I hadn't read the product's Web page entirely when I asked you those questions, only to find that the answers were on the Web page itself. The device itself looked rather large at first glance but having watched a number of videos of it via YouTube.Com, I'm extremely surprised as to how slim the device is!

The majority of Apple Mac Users don't investigate alternative products; nor in fact do they admit that Apple Inc. hasn't innovated every feature within Apple Mac OS X; in fact Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's Stack feature is extremely similar to Sun Microsystems Project Looking Glass feature, alongside the fact that Sun Microsystems Project Look Glass featured a 3D Dock feature one year before it was revealed by Apple Inc. It's a pity that a majority of people don't investigate alternative products; some of which are superior to others in every conceivable feature however I've become extremely irritated by the fact that I cannot use Apple iTunes via my Linux Operating System and the fact that Apple Inc. utilize DRM; of which I'm opposed to entirely.

Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's Quick Look feature is a feature I've used within GNU/Linux for almost two years.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/fea ... sktop.html - Apple Inc. - Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - Desktop

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/fea ... klook.html - Apple Inc. - Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - Quick Look

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Return to Off Topic