Membership Fees to Remove Advertisements

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Membership Fees to Remove Advertisements

Postby kevmille » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52

Hello Everyone:

I decided that I will install Sabayon to return to the Gentoo world. I really enjoy what the community has done here :D I understand the need of advertisements here but I was wondering if there was a possibility to pay for 'no-advertisement' website. Meaning, if I pay a yearly membership fee, then I will be able to access a website and forum without advertisements. Just an idea and a way for me to support this community.
My Blog: SaigonNezumi.com
My Company: Hakata Group
Twitter: saigonnezumi
Sabayon Linux Thinkpad T60

kevmille
Young Hen

Re: Membership Fees to Remove Advertisements

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 22, 2007 14:10

Good Idea!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Wait...What? » Wed Aug 22, 2007 15:10

I'd sign up!
Sabayon 4.1 x86_64 ATI Radeon 2400 (CPU): AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Speed: 2,000.00 MHz Cores: 2 (RAM): 934.6 MB Free memory: 143.3 MB (+ 364.4 MB Caches) HP Pavilion 061 Model: RJ181AA-ABA a1600n (triple boot w/Vista & Win 7)
Wait...What?
Growing Hen

Postby Matthew Wiebelhaus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 16:10

kevmille wrote:Hello Everyone:

I decided that I will install Sabayon to return to the Gentoo world. I really enjoy what the community has done here :D I understand the need of advertisements here but I was wondering if there was a possibility to pay for 'no-advertisement' website. Meaning, if I pay a yearly membership fee, then I will be able to access a website and forum without advertisements. Just an idea and a way for me to support this community.

That would be pointless the whole point of linux is to have it free of charge if you don't want advertisements just donate money.
Matthew Wiebelhaus
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 22, 2007 21:10

Matthew Wiebelhaus wrote:

That would be pointless the whole point of linux is to have it free of charge if you don't want advertisements just donate money.

:?:

oh really? people already dontate, that makes absolutely no sense. He is asking for a way to donate in return for noads, it's a win win situation for both. It's a great incentive. Open source/linux is about choices.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby kevmille » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:36

Matthew Wiebelhaus wrote:That would be pointless the whole point of linux is to have it free of charge if you don't want advertisements just donate money.

Well, yeah, in essence that is what I want to do :D
My Blog: SaigonNezumi.com
My Company: Hakata Group
Twitter: saigonnezumi
Sabayon Linux Thinkpad T60

kevmille
Young Hen

Postby Eden » Thu Aug 23, 2007 15:13

Matthew Wiebelhaus wrote:

Thats not the point of GNU/Linux at all, the fact that you get the software (fore the most part) free of charge is only a side effect of the whole Free Software and open source movement. Free Software was started to give the users the freedom to do what they want with the code and program not so they can get a load of software free of charge.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:42

Another idea similar to the one in the original post is to have something like a "points" system. The more you donate, the more "points" you get to disable ads. For each ad blocked (or something like that) you spend a point. You will eventually run out and will have the option of either putting up with ads again, or making another donation.

I got this idea from another website that already has a similar system in place.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:26

Unfortunately the donations is coming in slowly to SL and there is no easy quick solution. That which I was going to sponsor can not happen as life hit the fan and well it is now dry bread + bitter black coffee for the next few months until I can get back on my feet again.

So until we get a generous sponsour well it is adds to help pay for the website / other costs.
http://www.gentoo-portage.org has received us$3000.00 in 16 days we have received us$1500.00 over 8 weeks ??
I would rather pay again if I could for SL than think of spending money on gentoo-portage page yet they seem to be in the pound seats yet SL gives me lots more every few weeks and I like most people only visited gentoo-portage 5 times probably. Weard inbalance.

So more money / sponsors = less adds. Can you imagine maybe paying upto us$500.00 per month just to host the website ? OUCH.

1 less McDonalds burger per month @ us$5.00 = us$60.00 per year to help SL.

Alternatively I have found a website that host files / iso's and they can for SL host the files + SL can charge say us$10 per download running at about 4700KB/s or more if your inet can handle that speeds , although they / the website keeps 5% of the money received. us$0.50 on us$10.00 is not too bad.
This is a alternative way of getting money in for SL but not sure how many people would pay to have their inet maxed out for the download or download the 4.5gb iso file in 4 min/s or less.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions