Next version suggestions & a request..

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Next version suggestions & a request..

Postby FrozenFox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:58

(Note: I'm using 3.4a, so please correct me if something on here is already done ;p)

First off, since it's clearly quite a gaming distro now, I think it would be great to get the pidgin xfire plugin on there by default. Many windows users willing to come to linux are staying back for xfire, as plenty still don't know there's a working plugin at all. Several users already here have issues installing it specifically because they use an old version instead of one from the snapshot page by mistake. Oops.

Secondly, also related to games, perhaps you could add the xlaunch http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-483004.html script, and make mention of it for the aid of ATI users who have trouble playing 3d games in particular, but also for the use of alt+tab functionality absent from many non-wine/cedega run games such as ut2004. It's still useful for nvidia users like myself.

Third, a personal request: pleaaaaaaaase fix the mouse side buttons for Intellimouse Explorer 3A by default. Out of 30 or so distros I've tried, including all of the top ones on distrowatch, PCLinuxOS is the -only- one who got it right without me messing with anything. It doesn't seem to have fixed it the way I did on Sabayon, but whatever works, right? If you would be kind enough to do this, I made a specific sabayon howto for myself with exactly what to put and where that does the trick that I could send/post, if it would help..

Many thanks for a wonderful distro. :)
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Postby FrozenFox » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:56

Oops, sorry for originally posting in teh wrong forums, mods. I'm teh blind!
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Re: Next version suggestions & a request..

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Aug 21, 2007 20:54

While this thread is on the topic of requests for the next version, I'll add a few of my own.

1. WavPack codec installed by default. I use WavPack sine the latest FLAC is causing many problems. Also please DO NOT update FLAC to anything above 1.1.2! FLAC 1.1.3 and higher is causing many problems due to a re-designed API or something and like I mentioned is causing problems.

2. Update Firefox to 2.0.0.6 (or whatever the latest is when the next version is released.)

3. Add a volume control app (e.g. KMix) to the autostart list. I know it's easy to add it to the ~/.kde/Autostart folder, but a volume control icon in the system tray by default would be nice.

4. Change the Amarok icon to the standard Wolf one. The current one looks like a blue KMix icon. (I know this is trivial, but it is slightly annoying.)

5. If at all possible, fix the Java-related problem(s) like Azureus not working out-of-the-box (it's easy to re-install Java, but it'd be nice to have Azureus work OOTB.)

6. This is just my opinion, but Beagle is pretty useless. I know it's not on by default, but can't we just emerge it? Konqueror has a decent "find file" feature of its own, and Beagle just hogs up resources. Again, just my opinion.

I'll add more as they come to mind.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Aug 21, 2007 23:22

Kmix is a good idea just have to make sure it is at 50% or lower volume as it rapes my laptop speakers everytime unless I remember to plug the earphones in and use it's volume down button.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Haber_Nir » Fri Aug 24, 2007 17:29

if you can it would be great if you update to kde 4.0 and to gnome 2.20 when it release
Haber_Nir
Simple Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 16:40

Here's some more requests:

1. Update libipoddevice and ipod-sharp to the latest.

2. Include numlockx in both regular and Business Editions and have it in the startup scripts/whatever (it's a 74 kb program, so it shouldn't take up too much space). Or for those using KDE by default, include NumLock=On in the proper config file.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby R3MF » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:58

Since i guess we are talking about the minor revision to be known as 3.4f, i would like to add:

Digikam 9.2
Kdenlive 0.5
LMMS 3.0
Blender 2.45
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions