suggestion: USE flags

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

suggestion: USE flags

Postby wolfger » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:56

I think it'd be a great idea to alphabetize the USE flags, and clean them up. I just got done alphabetizing mine manually, and not only are there duplicates, there are conflicts. I found one flag that was on twice and off once (or was that the other way around?). Very confusing for more advanced users who want/need to tweak their systems!

Also (and this is probably more of a Gentoo issue), it would be awesome if similar flags could be condensed. Like "ogg" "vorbis" and "theora"? We could condense those 3 down to 2 or even 1 I think. Today I found "stream" and "streams". I'm not sure, but those sound identical to me...
wolfger
Baby Hen

Re: suggestion: USE flags

Postby voxiac » Thu Aug 09, 2007 16:12

wolfger wrote:I just got done alphabetizing mine manually

Try app-portage/ufed: I remember it alphabetizing USE flags when it writes them down...
wolfger wrote:Also (and this is probably more of a Gentoo issue), it would be awesome if similar flags could be condensed. Like "ogg" "vorbis" and "theora"? We could condense those 3 down to 2 or even 1 I think. Today I found "stream" and "streams". I'm not sure, but those sound identical to me...

'ogg' is a container format
'vorbis' is an audio codec
'theora' is a video codec
They are not at all similiar.

But 'stream' and 'streams' sounds weird... Which packages do they belong to?
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfger » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:10

voxiac wrote:'ogg' is a container format
'vorbis' is an audio codec
'theora' is a video codec
They are not at all similiar.

But 'stream' and 'streams' sounds weird... Which packages do they belong to?

I know there's a difference between "vorbis" and "theora", though I'm not sure how many people would want one and not the other... I still don't understand what "ogg" is. What do you mean by "container format"?

As for "stream" and "streams"... they were in my USE flags from the install (3.4a). I just grep'd my world for them, and came up with no matches at all, so I can't tell you what they're used in, other than "Sabayon 3.4a" :)
wolfger
Baby Hen

Postby voxiac » Sat Aug 11, 2007 14:38

wolfger wrote:I know there's a difference between "vorbis" and "theora", though I'm not sure how many people would want one and not the other... I still don't understand what "ogg" is. What do you mean by "container format"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_ ... digital%29
(You see ogg is in the list)
Generally you can think of stuff encoded by vorbis and/or theora to be placed in an ogg file (contained in it if you like).
wolfger wrote:As for "stream" and "streams"... they were in my USE flags from the install (3.4a). I just grep'd my world for them, and came up with no matches at all, so I can't tell you what they're used in, other than "Sabayon 3.4a" :)

Hm... I could only find 'stream' USE flag and only in media-video/vlc (Thanks to http://gentoo-portage.com/USE). So I'd guess that 'streams' must be either in Sabayon Overlay or not existent at all.
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions