When the PS3 dreams, it dreams of Sabayon!

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

When the PS3 dreams, it dreams of Sabayon!

Postby Stevo20 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:52

I'm not sure if the development team has considered creating a version of Sabayon Linux for the PS3, but after all I've experienced, I truly believe Sabayon and the PS3 were meant to be together.

My first experience with Sabayon was a few weeks ago and it marks the beginning of a new era for me...all the linux'es I've used for the past 10 years, and now Sabayon. You guys are in a class all by yourself...and by the way, thanks for being such classy guys :)

My first experience with Sony PS3 was also a few weeks ago...what a splendid machine, a true work of art. It can do so many things, and it is designed by Sony, out of the box, to allow Linux to be setup as a second operating system. Wow!
Currently there are about 4 Linux distributions with versions specifically for PS3: Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Gentoo ;) , and YellowDog. Now that last one, YellowDog, has been specially designed to work on the PS3 as the "official" distribution...with a$$istance from Sony.

Here's the problem, I read up about each of the distribution's installation woes before I did on anything, then I decided to go with the Sony "Officially $ponsored" YelowDog Distribution...I mean if Sony is $upporting your project it's got to be good right? ...WRONG!

OK, to date I have released 0 distributions myself, but how hard can it be to to setup a distribution to work on a system that is guaranteed that each and every installation will have identical hardware...sounds like a dream to me. Well somehow a big company like Terrasoft(YellowDog) has not figured it out, as a matter of fact, after the installation is complete, all you have is a "bootable" ditribution(if your video mode works). I was left with a system that had a mismatched video mode, no functioning networking(wired or wireless), no functioning Bluetooth, and a variety of other minor configurations that needed setting up...I didnt even bother to try the built in BluRay player. Considering that all PS3's are created equal and have IDENTICAL* hardware, this was unexceptable as an "Official" release. I spent 3 days scanning the internet to find how-to's to complete the configuration. Terrasoft has some guides to assist with setting up things that should have already been done: http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... _guide.pdf , http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... s/ydl_5.0/
but even these guides fall short of expectations and you are forced to find more solutions. I did finally find some 3rd party web pages that listed the "tricks" to configure Linux correctly on the PS3, but I really didn't feel I should have had to look so hard nor spend so much time just to complete the "BASIC" setup.

* everything is identical except that the high end version has a larger hard drive and wifi capability.

...so this is when I had an Epiphany. :idea: the PS3 is a unique powerful shiny beautiful black box and Sabayon linux is a one-of-a-kind beautiful shiny black ultimate distribution, HOLY S#iT! they were made for eachother!! ...and I had already experienced the Completeness and totality of Sabayon, so I had no doubt that your development team was sure up to the task.

Right now a distribution does not exist that after the installation process you have a completely "usable" PS3 system. If your team could accomplish this, you would be the only one, period...and I can tell you, after my experience, EVERYBODY with a PS3 would use Sabayon...and then you could add yet another distinction to Sabayon ;)

...and now for the "possibly" good part :arrow: It's my guess that if you built on the existing Gentoo PS3 installation, since you have experience with Gentoo ;) and created a distribution that actually prompted the user to complete the setup information during the installation process (what a keen idea huh, lol) THEN...I believe that if you made an official presentation to Sony of the Marriage of the 2 beautiful shiny black pieces of art, that they would be very very impre$$ed and probably offer $ome level of $upport...and with any luck $abayon could become an officially $ponsored Linux distribution for $ony PS3.

You're already my favorite distribution, and if you were on almost every PS3 you would sure get a LOT of additional exposure ...and when they found out that beautiful distribution could also be put on any PC, well, good bye Microsoft, hehehe...ok, maybe that's a little bit exaggerated.

PS: If you decided to go forward with this distribution I would sure be the 1st in line to help with beta testing =)))

Postby R3MF » Tue Jul 17, 2007 13:41

sadly, until sony release some Linux PPC RSX drivers from nVidia, all the shiny bling that makes sabayon rock will crawl on the PS3 because we currently have no access to the GPU hardware, or its memory.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby Stevo20 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 21:15

Yeah, it's sad about the (temporary?) RSX dilemma, but the good news is Linux is running on 6 of the 8 available cells, and even in FB mode the video is by no means dragging. I couldn't test the Beryl desktop yet, because I still can't get the network to function in wired or wireless mode, grr...

BTW, Yellow Dog has the latest Enlightenment E17 desktop with a lot of glitter and animation...and it ran very smooth.

Postby Gil » Fri Jul 20, 2007 13:56

It would be great but then again a problem would be that PS3 is not x86. Its architecture is different which would require a fork of Sabayon to be raised. Though considering its Gentoo root, it would be plausible for it to happen, but we would have to wait for the RSX Drivers to be fully released to allow 3d Acceleration and then enjoy the bling that comes with Sabayon. One can hope though...it would certainly be interesting
Gil
Baby Hen

Postby Stevo20 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 22:17

hmmm...I was kinda hopin' a dev would chime in here :wink:

Postby totedati » Mon Jul 23, 2007 23:19

no way ... all dev is busy working ... sabayon v3.4 is around the corner, and entropy will suck all attention here ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

big times ... happy times ... for all of us ..
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions