"Ultimate Edition"?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

"Ultimate Edition"?

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sun Jul 01, 2007 0:13

I was looking over at ubuntu and someone there made an edition called "Ubuntu Ultimate Edition" (link can be found >here<) and it got me thinking about Sabayon. Would it be possible to make something like a Sabayon "Ultimate Edition" or something like that? It could be put on 2 DVD's (or more if needed) or maybe put on a dual-layer DVD (or for the really rich people out there, a blu-ray disc :lol:)
The contents would include stuff that didn't have room on the standard DVD (like Opera) and maybe some game demos. And also some other things that would be deemed "optional".

Don't get me wrong, I'm just curious about if this is a viable possibility and what others think of it.
Perhaps someone (not on the team) could do this as a side-project? I'd do so if I knew how (I have lots of free time nowadays). I say "not on the team" because we know how busy you guys are, and we support ya for it :wink:
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:45

To have a Sabayon Ultimate Edition would be redundant.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Eden » Mon Jul 02, 2007 15:19

Do we really need to copy windows OS named?
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby flick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 15:59

Sabayon's DVD edition is already huge. Multiple programs in all categories ( graphics, multimedia, office, etc. ), lots of proprietary drivers included, lots of proprietary codec/format support, etc.

Game demos? They're already on the liveDVDs. Opera? As nice a product as it is, when Firefox, Konqueror and Seahorse are already on the DVD, is another web browser really necessary?

I just don't see where anything else needs to be crammed onto the DVD. I myself use the minieditions, because I can't stand how much disk space the DVD install takes up.
flick
Growing Hen

Postby foucault » Mon Jul 02, 2007 17:35

the point of ubuntu ultimate edition, and its popularity, is becasue ubuntu dosn't come with proprietry software, any decent software really, (its a 700mb image afterall) and as a live cd its a POS, so ubuntu ultimate is good to show your friends linux, berryl etc. or to install a fully functional os right off without the need to install of configure... like linux mint... Well, Sabayon allready does all that stuff... and better i might add :) so yes redundant. tho I did pass around the Ubuntu ultimate dvd a while back to some friends so that they could see the light.
foucault
Simple Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Mon Jul 02, 2007 20:02

Yeah I see your point. I was just throwing this idea into the open to see if any ideas sprung from it.
Maybe someone could make a "Sabayon Gamer's Collection" DVD. It would be strictly optional, but it would include more games (and maybe some popular mods) just for fun.

I'm not demanding anything, just saying maybe some of us Sabayon users could group together and make a bonus content DVD if we wanted.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby zouzou85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 22:34

i think sabayon is already huge in itself. and portage is great package manager. let alone the overlays.
Ultimate edition is great for ubuntu like mentioned previously, but not sabayon.
but hey, keep up the good ideas BlueJayofEvil
zouzou85
Growing Hen

Postby davbeck » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:32

You know I just installed Sabayon on my new computer the other day and I realized something.

It took me about 30 minutes of actually doing stuff and 2 hours waiting for everything to install, and when I finally got everything installed I started to go through and install all the programs that I needed. There was only one, BlueFish.

Sabayon is Ultimate. any other operating system needs a couple of days to get everything installed and the way you want, not SL.
davbeck
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 13:16

^Looking at the list on the Web page about Ubuntu Ultimate Edition that BlueJayofEvil referred to, you're right: the SL live/installation DVD comes packed with applications. Basically it is an 'ultimate edition'.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: "Ultimate Edition"?

Postby csendesmark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:19

The "standard" Sabayon distro is already big (almost full DVD5)
If they make an Ultimate version, it's sould be bigger than 4.7GB so it mean: You have to download more stuff.

I think we don't need an Ultimate version, but the developers may make an Ultimate ADDON for slow internet connection users ;)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3000MHz | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | 2x1GB DDR2-1066 Kingmax | Point of View 8800GTS-640
CM Realpower 550W SLI | SP2504C 250GB | WD4000KS 400GB | WD5000KS 500GB | Dell E228WFP 22" Wide
*Latest Sabayon* :)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions