Missing Opera Browser in Sabayon 3.4 Loop 3a

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Missing Opera Browser in Sabayon 3.4 Loop 3a

Postby redd » Tue Jun 26, 2007 23:32

I just tested the new 3.4 Loop 3a Live CD. And i missed my Opera Browser. Why is it not included? (sry for bad English)
redd
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 26, 2007 23:37

cause they have eliminated the multiple packages of things. You will no longer see 5 email clients, 5 browsers etc. etc. etc.

you can emerge opera

emerge --sync && layman -S
emerge opera
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Missing Opera Browser in Sabayon 3.4 Loop 3a

Postby mobilehunter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:51

redd wrote:I just tested the new 3.4 Loop 3a Live CD. And i missed my Opera Browser. Why is it not included? (sry for bad English)

I also missed the Opera.
I can emerge it later anyway.
May be it's will be included again :P :P
mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Postby redd » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:01

I know that I can emerge opera. But isn't there enough space on the DVD? I primarily use Sabayon as LiveCD because so much things work out of the box. I like much more the older Sabayon releases. With the Quake Demo, Flash Plugin and Opera Browser. It seems like Sabayon becomes a "Knoppix" and prefers free software instead of using the best available Software. There is Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.. They can be free of proprietary software. But please not Sabayon.
redd
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35

redd you're quite wrong...we're putting whatever we can and we need space to put more packages, if we need space and we have 10 browsers the solution is to remove some...firefox works perfectly so opera goes
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby thecdn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 14:59

Dark_MaGe wrote:redd you're quite wrong...we're putting whatever we can and we need space to put more packages, if we need space and we have 10 browsers the solution is to remove some...firefox works perfectly so opera goes

You don't have 10 browsers and firefox works but it's not perfect. There are many of us swear by opera so not including it in a dvd sized distro is the wrong way to go.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby ylon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 19:52

I second the suggestion: bring back opera. it's smallest than ff and is also wide tools support (email, torrent, gesture, irc). it will help people that need the use of feature only once without install/run extra stuff.
ylon
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:02

To get it back:
Code: Select all
emerge opera
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby edgevision » Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:20

ylon wrote:I second the suggestion: bring back opera. it's smallest than ff and is also wide tools support (email, torrent, gesture, irc). it will help people that need the use of feature only once without install/run extra stuff.

I fail to understand the major issue here? How many people actually use Sabayon as a LiveDVD on a daily basis? If you're using it so much, why not just install it? The fact that the LiveDVD runs is proof that it can and will work on your system.

If you can't install Sabayon on your machine, and you need torrent/IRC functionality, you have bigger problems than absolutely requiring a different browser on a temporary disc-based session. The devs are trying to make a functional LiveDVD and they have done just that.

If you want things that aren't included by default, and plan to do anything with your machine at all in terms of customization, install the operating system. It's not that difficult and you can emerge/unmerge as many packages as you like.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby gazal » Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:31

I also use Opera almost all the time when in windows.
But in SL 3.3 it won't open youtube videos and had other minor bugs.
However i like the "save mht" feature which the last FF can't do.
Commenti liberi/form facoltativo -- IE incompatibile !
gazal
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions