Include Codec (Decoder) for mp3pro?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Include Codec (Decoder) for mp3pro?

Postby Ron.W » Tue Jun 12, 2007 17:41

Some Internetradio stations and mp3-distributors still use the mp3-pro codec. You can play these streems/files using the standard mp3-codec, but it sounds gruesome, since bandwidth is daramatically cut off without using the "pro"-decoder.

Sabayon serves most needs in multimedia-sector, so this codec being preinstalled would be a nice completion. There is at least available an XMMS plugin: http://www.all4mp3.com/tools/sw_ct_demo.html

Ron.
Ron.W
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Sat Jun 16, 2007 16:26

i think that is little interest in mp3pro support in linux world. Think about the problem ... ONLY a xmms plugin!? Is a binary blob like all proprietary things ... If they want to push a wide audience in linux world the they should make a least a plugin for amarok or gstreamer or at least xmms2, and not to wait other developers to jump and suport they BINARY mp3pro plugin. If can be at least some source to see, like is for ape plugins, then can be a little hope. But not how is now ... They can wait another hundreds of years ... will not happen ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Ron.W » Tue Jun 19, 2007 17:40

This goes for the realplayer as well, I think. The "real"-format is also proprietary shit, and it is in sabayon, anyway.

Thompson as the owner of this "pro"-codec doesn't care for some linux-people won't be able to listen to some contents produced with their codec in reasonable quality. The only one who has a drawback is the linux user: in case of files you'll need a windows machine in order to convert to a more convenient format, and in case of life stream you'll have to close your ears simply :D

So what is the point of it? Sabayon is not Debian, and it has tons of proprietary code built in allready. So what? It's just another piece of it.

Ron
Ron.W
Simple Hen

Postby voxiac » Tue Jun 19, 2007 18:09

Ron.W wrote:This goes for the realplayer as well, I think. The "real"-format is also proprietary shit, and it is in sabayon, anyway.

Thompson as the owner of this "pro"-codec doesn't care for some linux-people won't be able to listen to some contents produced with their codec in reasonable quality. The only one who has a drawback is the linux user: in case of files you'll need a windows machine in order to convert to a more convenient format, and in case of life stream you'll have to close your ears simply :D

So what is the point of it? Sabayon is not Debian, and it has tons of proprietary code built in allready. So what? It's just another piece of it.

Ron

Yeah... but real player is stand alone and is maintained more or less, while this thing is xmms only, in time when xmms was nuked from main portage tree long ago. I've no idea if it works with audacious at least which claimed to be xmms compatible. Moreover that plugin is only in rpm...
If you want it, then try installing audacious and copying that usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmp3PRO.so file from the rpm to the apropriate location on your system(/usr/lib/audacious/Input ?) and see what happens.
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Tue Jun 19, 2007 18:53

Ron.W wrote:Thompson as the owner of this "pro"-codec doesn't care for some linux-people

this is the real problem not the codec 'per se'. how you support a binary blob!? even xmms plugin do not have any source code to use it as a source of inspiration ... and you expect that some linux hardcore programmers to reverse enginner that binary blob to make a plugin for a format that almost nobody use ... slim chances ...
real plugin for example has some form of support, plugins exist and is updated to latest mainstream linux distribution support ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Ron.W » Wed Jun 20, 2007 16:31

...and you expect that some linux hardcore programmers to reverse enginner that binary blob to make a plugin

Certainly not. I am not too familiar with the procedures how to integrate something into sabayonlinux, so I didn't realize that it would be that laborious. I am not a programmer...

for a format that almost nobody use

Then I really hope this format will simply die, for they give that poor support. But as long as there are people using this for shipping their content, you'll come across it, if you like it or not. Most time you wouldn't even notice the reason for poor sound quality listening to a stream. And there are sufficient numbers of people around with their windows-machines so we are not in a position to tell them which codec better they shouldn't use for we can't listen to it in full quality...

If you want it, then try installing audacious and copying that usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmp3PRO.so file from the rpm to the apropriate location on your system(/usr/lib/audacious/Input ?) and see what happens.

Thanks for the hint, I'll try this, and if it works, we have a provisional solution. Audacious was preinstalled in my sabayon. But how do I extract this "so-file" from that rpm? Will probably take me hours of reading the manpages again until I figure this out. As far as I've understood from sabayon it doesn't support rpm.

Ron.
Ron.W
Simple Hen

Postby voxiac » Wed Jun 20, 2007 17:10

Ron.W wrote:Thanks for the hint, I'll try this, and if it works, we have a provisional solution. Audacious was preinstalled in my sabayon. But how do I extract this "so-file" from that rpm? Will probably take me hours of reading the manpages again until I figure this out. As far as I've understood from sabayon it doesn't support rpm.

Hm... do you have x86 or x86_64? I've just tested in on my x86_64 system and audacious don't see the plugin installed with the method below.

Code: Select all
emerge rpm2targz

go the the directory with that rpm and
rpm2targz libmp3PRO-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm

And you'll get libmp3PRO-1.0.1-1.i386.tar.gz So do:
tar -xvf libmp3PRO-1.0.1-1.i386.tar.gz

You'll get ./usr directory. Then as root:
cp ./usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmp3PRO.so /usr/lib/audacious/Input

(I've copied it both in /usr/lib/audacious/Input and /usr/lib64/audacious/Input on my system and audacious still didn't see it)

You have a good chance of running this stuff under WINE though (with winamp and mp3pro plugin for it).
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Wed Jun 20, 2007 19:21

Ron.W wrote:But how do I extract this "so-file" from that rpm?

if you use mc command you can see that for it an *.rpm archive is like a *.tar.bz2 or *.tar.gz archive, no need to use other utilities ...

esearch -F app-misc/mc
[ Results for search key : app-misc/mc ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  app-misc/mc
      Latest version available: 4.6.1-r3
      Latest version installed: 4.6.1-r3
      Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/
      Description: GNU Midnight Commander cli-based file manager
      License:     GPL-2

*  app-misc/mc-mp [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 4.1.40_pre9
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://mc.linuxinside.com/cgi-bin/dir.cgi
      Description: GNU Midnight Commander cli-based file manager. 4.1.x branch
      License:     GPL-2

should be already installed in sabayon linux ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions