Portato Default GUI package manager

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Portato Default GUI package manager

Postby chickpea » Fri Jun 01, 2007 17:48

Enough is enough. Let's leave the Kuroo headaches behind. Ditch Kuroo in favor of Portato as default GUI package manager. Any takers?

P.S. I realize how easy peasy it is to simply add the sunrise overlay and emerge portato, but for folks who are doing a drive-by testing of our distro it is probably better if we have a better less buggy prettier, faster, cooler, package manager (ala synaptic) so that we don't scare off n00bs and folks who would otherwise use us except for having to install via command line. So right OOTB we have Portato which in my mind really will add a level of usability that we don't have right now for the rank n00b.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Jun 01, 2007 18:51

I also think that Portato is a good idea, especially so new users can see that clicking a button doesn't magically do stuff, but that they see lines of code flashing by.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Fri Jun 01, 2007 21:11

Hi

Even though kuroo has these problems, I don't agree that portato is a suitable replacement. Ok, it might be more stable but IMO I think it looks plain and not that intuitive for noobs. I think the best package manager by far is the synaptic package manager, used by both deb and rpm based distros. Pity it can't be adapted for portage. I'd be all up for that :)

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri Jun 01, 2007 21:15

Hey Dave:

Not sure I agree with you there Dave. Kuroo (for my little brain at least) is far less intuitive than Portato. Maybe that's because I got so used to portage from the CLI before I started using Portato. In that case, maybe my viewpoint is a little skewed. :cyclopsani:
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby voxiac » Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:04

For the time being portato can be included alongside kuroo to let users try both... Then we can make a poll...
I personally do sympathise portato as necoro had shown interest in adding paludis support once python bindings are finished. The biggest issue with kuroo is that upstream appears to be dead unlike the situation with portato.

P.S. I've never used kuroo or portato
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby Raqua » Thu Jun 21, 2007 22:05

I preffer Kuroo over Portato an when I came as a complete beginner to linux I had no problem using it.
On the other side, I admit that problems like this:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7963
are serious drawback for Kuroo. Its development seems to be in stagnation oposite Necoro who already made some modification in Portato when I asked for them and it was really prompt.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:19

Portato > Kuroo

emerge -C kuroo

:D

besides Necoro is a great guy and knows what he is doing, should be part of the SL Devs.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Necoro » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:23

wolfden wrote:should be part of the SL Devs.

Veto =)
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:20

:lol:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions