Sabayon Linux "Business Edition" Wishlist

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 25, 2007 18:10

I found yakuake pretty efficient. Its just a terminal hidden on the top of the screen, its not like a video game you play with. It keeps the task bar clear of open terminal windows and can be removed from site when needed and brought back when needed with the press of a button. I find it helpful. Considering the fact my taskbar is always cluttered, and those extra terminal windows don't help.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby thecdn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 18:38

putty
x3270
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 25, 2007 18:44

putty was nice, I've only used it in windows though. Is there a version for linux?? Don't think I would need it in linux, but the knowledge is nice.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby ajez » Mon Jun 25, 2007 19:07

on linux most of times ssh does the work perfectly ..
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby thecdn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 22:31

I've never used ssh but I've used putty in both windows and linux. Might be good to have something familiar to windows users on the business edition.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby ryker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 19:13

totedati wrote:for me business edition means "admin remote controled". Here the users must have a very tinny and constrained box to move ... so ... no azureus here, little games, Yakuake is too heavy :oops: , traceroute to a workstation?, dangerous ... lot of stability ant lot of applications useful to work in a "kiosk mode", centralized backups, centralized instalation deployment, centralized and remote configuration tools. So when you think about a business edition keep in mind that is two parts, servers and workstations ... from my point of view, winxp workstations, has no place in any serious business ... period ... :twisted: :twisted: ... ofcourse serverside battle is over ....

I agree. It seems everyone is wanting to add too many applications that belong on a private users machine. I think Enterprise Edition would be a better name for this, and it would apply to both profit and non-profit organizations/businesses. I think this would also help with google search results, because I would guess that most people in education, non-profits, would search for "enterprise linux" rather than "business linux".

Overall, I would think an enterprise/business version should concentrate on productivity apps to help users in an organization accomplish his/her work. This would include things such as openoffice, koffice, various calculators, basic internet apps such as firefox, krdc, an ftp client, gimp, pdf viewer, basic audio/video player such as vlc and/or mplayer, kdesvn, and K3B. Apps such as azureus, mandvd, kmymoney, etc can always be added by the user or (preferably) by the system administrator if needed. I think even wine should be left out, as most standard business desktops (whether profit or non-profit) should not need it. Also, unless Beryl (Compiz-fusion) becomes COMPLETELY stable, I think it should be left out as well. Yes, it's beautiful, but enterprise desktops don't really need it and probably don't have the video card to really handle it anyway. Again, if someone really wants Beryl, it can always be added later.

As always, KISS is the best way to go with something like this. Less apps will make it much easier to maintain and ensure that it is rock stable. Start with a small set of core apps and add more apps later in future releases if needed.

I don't really care for Red Hat much, but it is still the standard among most enterprises using Linux. Take a look at the default apps that are installed on Red Hat and use that as a base. You really can't go wrong starting with that.
ryker
Baby Hen

Postby voxiac » Tue Jun 26, 2007 20:07

Everyone seems to have different opinions of what should be included on Sabayon... (BE version or not)
Ultimately we'll need something like Fedora's 'Revisor' to please all:
http://www.linux.com/feature/114347
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby ryker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 21:05

voxiac wrote:Everyone seems to have different opinions of what should be included on Sabayon... (BE version or not)
Ultimately we'll need something like Fedora's 'Revisor' to please all:
http://www.linux.com/feature/114347

Yeah, that would be great.
ryker
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon Linux "Business Edition" Wishlist

Postby slmeyer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 22:30

Dark_MaGe wrote:Hi all, .....on stable packages and it will ship with only kde and fluxbox, and will include any software that is needed to build a server or a business workstation.

Well I like IceWM - kontact, planner, Qcad, Scribus, Bibus, R, Skencil, inkscape, wim, kate, ted, leafpad, nvu, kivio, opera, xsane, vnc, wine, kqemu, freemind, JAlbum and of course the servers: Sshd, bind, dhcpd, httpd, zope/plone, varnish, hobbit, postfix etc.

It would be extremely nice if there were a minidistro with the ability to boot into lightweight environment with sshd started automatically and things like partimaged etc on it, but unlike System Rescue CD with a full CD with the possibility to install a server from it.

Looking foreward to see what you come up with :wink:
slmeyer
Simple Hen

Postby jsyjr » Sun Jul 01, 2007 22:52

The focus here does not seem to be especially crisp. It feels more like "What would I like my machine at work to include?" rather than an attempt to zero-in on the expectations of clearly identified/targetted groups of users or deployment scenarios. What is the basis for believing that enterprises are writing off gnome? That premise in the original post revealed an enthusiast's (as opposed to an IT manager's) perspective.
jsyjr
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions