Sabayon Linux "Business Edition" Wishlist

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby R3MF » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:43

agreed.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby leeng » Sun Jun 10, 2007 13:33

also it would be nice to have a virtual machine manager with gui for xen and many server apps like sql ssh php apache nfs samba, ftp server squid antivirus etc. moreover if all server apps have a web interface for using them from distance i thinks it is a good add. finally p2p apps with web interface it would be nice like torrentfux gift with httpgift mldonkey with web interface phpdc(direct connect) so it could be used also as server for downloading. finally i think vnc sever and maybe out of the box many virtual machines like one for firewall and sharing internet connection one web sever etc one for samba (openfiler) one for downloading thinks one for useing as desktop ( the default sabayon) etc. to choose from for more security. aface.nd using all theese via web interface. also it should use lvm or evm and luks for encryption. this i thinks will be th best server distro
leeng
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 16:42

I'm finishing x86_64 chroot today, and then I'll add some of the packages you've listed, so in a couple of days it will be ready for the beta-core team and then ready for everybody.
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby R3MF » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:32

is the business edition being based on Sab 3.4?

i have always argued that taskjuggler should be part of the mainstream Sab distro.

and a truecrypt GUI would be useful too.
Last edited by R3MF on Tue Jun 19, 2007 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 19:25

ooooo I found a nice app! It reminds me of picozip. I like it!!!

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.ph ... tent=52805

I want this!!
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:13

sabayon BE will be based on stable packets so no ~ branch means kde 3.5.5 and whatever we think should suit it perfectly even with ~ like for example mono, or openoffice....anyway I'm already uploading it for the beta core it should be ready for everybody after our 3.4 loop 3
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby R3MF » Tue Jun 19, 2007 14:21

cheers.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Tue Jun 19, 2007 19:23

Darksurf wrote:To tell you the truth, I'd probably rather run Sabayon BE if is was KDE based, no gnome, and had the following apps

Wine
Wine-Doors
Open Office
Firestarter
Task Juggler
K3b w/laCie (lightscribe support)
Azureus
ALL KDE packages
working network drivers (wireless & NIC including PCMCIA)
WPA_supplicant (this should be a given....)
SCSI emluated (no more IDE crap) (also a given)
Firefox w/plugins
Thunderbird
Sunbird
Working Alarm program that is flexable (preferable Kcron, working as a user please!)
smb4k
GIMP or GIMPshop
mplayer w/smplayer
VNC viewer
Wireshark
SUSE style Kicker
beryl&XGL&Emerald
SANE w/XSANE
Live Help (of course!)
NMap w/FE
Google Earth
SuperKaramba w/AeroG style theme monitor CPU, RAM, DISK, TIME, CALENDER
Dark Theme (bright colors are hard on the eyes)
Elisa Media Center
SoundKonverter
ManDVD
VLC
evince
blender
gwenview
Hugin Panorama stitcher
Abiword (use it much more than Open Office Writer, I like it better)
Kmymoney
Yakuake (comes in handy)
syslog & etc.
Virus Scanner w/GUI
good videocard support (like we have now w/autodetection)
maybe some good video editing software
Working Texas Instruments Card Reader!! (loop2b has the module running but rules and crap needs to be added for it to work, that sux!)
and some pretty Server admin apps
shorewall
bridge-utils
bind
dhcp
iftop
traceroute
nxserver
virtualbox
quanta
There is going to be a x86_64 version right??!?!

for me business edition means "admin remote controled". Here the users must have a very tinny and constrained box to move ... so ... no azureus here, little games, Yakuake is too heavy :oops: , traceroute to a workstation?, dangerous ... lot of stability ant lot of applications useful to work in a "kiosk mode", centralized backups, centralized instalation deployment, centralized and remote configuration tools. So when you think about a bussiness edition keep in mind that is two parts, servers and workstations ... from my point of view, winxp workstations, has no place in any serios bussines ... period ... :twisted: :twisted: ... ofcourse serverside battle is over ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Darksurf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:36

Whoa now. Not all businesses use Admin Remote Controlled. I'm not a against it, but BE needs some workstation apps by all means. My dad used to own part of a small business. Small business don't always have nice educated people able to remote anything. I would know, I had been to my dad's work quite a lot before he got out of it. His partner was doing some illegal things behind my fathers back that my father wanted no part in, so he got out. But again, besides that... simplicity, availability, and ways to do things and a low educational level using graphical tools and short cut keys. Hey, just because its simple doesn't mean its self explainitory. For people who are pretty computer and linux savvy what we find simple and self explainitory aren't for the simpleton small business owner.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby totedati » Wed Jun 20, 2007 19:37

Darksurf wrote:Not all businesses use Admin Remote Controlled.

indeed i'm not thinking about small business but business with dozens and hundreds of desktops, and more that one servers ... a place vere you simply not have the time to play yakuake when you are at work ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions