Release Loops as Minis???

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Release Loops as Minis???

Postby chsims1 » Mon May 21, 2007 16:16

Well after spending a good 2 days downloading Loop 2 and having played around with it (reduced boot time is very welcome), I decided today that I needed to go back to the much more stable 3.3 version. OK fair enough, it's a dev release & problems are to be expected. However, it does occur to me that releasing interim loops as full-blown versions does seem to be very resource intensive, both in terms of developers' time in producing them & in users downloading them. Surely, it would make more sense to work on them & release them in the mini edition form, saving the whistles & bells of the software packages for the full releases?
chsims1
Growing Hen

Re: Release Loops as Minis???

Postby ajez » Mon May 21, 2007 17:22

chsims1 wrote:Well after spending a good 2 days downloading Loop 2 and having played around with it (reduced boot time is very welcome), I decided today that I needed to go back to the much more stable 3.3 version. OK fair enough, it's a dev release & problems are to be expected. However, it does occur to me that releasing interim loops as full-blown versions does seem to be very resource intensive, both in terms of developers' time in producing them & in users downloading them. Surely, it would make more sense to work on them & release them in the mini edition form, saving the whistles & bells of the software packages for the full releases?

no way, we have to test all the software/features that will be in the dvd version. makes no sense to test the mini and after build and test again the full dvd. is quicker and easier to test first dvd edition and after strip it to create the mini. to test first the mini is a waste of time.

PS: keep in mind that 3.4 should be the last with a mini edition because, if all goes well, on next releases with entropy u will be able to choose the software u want to install on the hdd from the dvd. then mini edition will not be necessary. so, there's no convenience on changing now the development/testing system.
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby chsims1 » Mon May 21, 2007 17:38

Fair enough: I assumed that the majority of development time was spent on essentially what ends up on the mini. If you need to do substantial work on the whole DVD contents, then of course it make sense for that to be distributed.
chsims1
Growing Hen

Postby rYsIn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:20

What about for people without DVD burners maybe it would be possible to divide up some images so they could be burned to multiple cds?
rYsIn
Baby Hen

Postby ajez » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:39

rYsIn wrote:What about for people without DVD burners maybe it would be possible to divide up some images so they could be burned to multiple cds?

we dont have dev's and time enough to do this.. anyway dvd burner prices are very cheap so peolple can buy one for some nuts
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby dc905 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 0:22

if you dont have a dvd burned im sure you could join irc and ask someone to burn and ship it for you ;)
dc905
Baby Hen

Postby mktyap » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:24

dc905 wrote:if you dont have a dvd burned im sure you could join irc and ask someone to burn and ship it for you ;)

I for one have no dvd burner and small BW that takes a long time to dnload DVD iso. What is the technology to do a mount -o loop iso to install to HD (poor man's install) in Sabayon?
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby jmak » Mon Jul 02, 2007 19:48

I dont have dvd writer either. Sad to hear that they want to abandon the one cd version in post 3.4. Fedore and suse seem to go to the other direction, towards the 1 cd versions.
jmak
Simple Hen

Postby mktyap » Thu Jul 05, 2007 0:47

So no MiniCD but also no help from the developers about how to boot from iso copied to harddisk - I posted my effort to do this and have been waiting soo long without any response to my problems there:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8163

I can understand why many are saying goodbye to return to WIndows because Linux can be v difficult to install.
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:10

ummm have some patience for the Final version, which will more than likely have a mini, but the DVD will be released first as always.

I can understand why many are saying goodbye to return to WIndows because Linux can be v difficult to install.

Lack of hardware on your part is the developers fault? I don't think so. A dvd burner/drive is cheap and even MS windows is going to DVD only. Time to get with the times
:roll:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions