How about a more configurable installer?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

How about a more configurable installer?

Postby monday90 » Thu May 17, 2007 23:01

Keep the installer as it is but add an "advanced install" option or similar. Allow someone to install via broad package groups e.g. multimedia, laptop, server. And also a detailed package selection (Individual programs). A default install on my laptop gives me so much stuff I'm never going to use. Yet on my tower (sort of home server) I need things like Apache NFS etc...
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu May 17, 2007 23:43

Well if you had looked around you would see this is a highly requested feature and has been address over and over and over and over - they are working on it.

How long will it take? Nobody knows

The future is bright tho!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Give us a simplified installer that works!

Postby mdmarmer » Fri May 18, 2007 3:36

I don't agree -- if anything the installer needs fewer choices. Currently it fails often, especially on upgrade. If there were fewer choices it would hopefully be easier to debug.

The installer seldom saves the error message, even though the installer has that option as well.

Of course I could save the error message with kwrite in another part of the desktop ...

Mike

PS this is not a flame -- there are many things that are great about Sabayon -- and probably the SL installer works better than the Gentoo installer we are not supposed to use to install Gentoo ;-)
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri May 18, 2007 3:43

I've never had the installer fail here, but than I usually always have everything setup for the installer so all it has to do is copy.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Eden » Fri May 18, 2007 19:39

mdmarmer you bring up a good point, there needs to be a balance between stability and features. Although I agree with monday90 I think the installer needs a lot of improvement in the way of customizing which set of packages you want installed for the moment I think working on stability and slowly adding features is the best method, im sure some of you have seen the Gentoo installer, its just terrible, but the Ubuntu installer although stable imo is equally as terrible, it has no options at all.

For the time being, anyone with a little knowledge can easily unmerge the crap load of useless packages installed by the installer.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby voxiac » Fri May 18, 2007 20:41

Eden wrote:For the time being, anyone with a little knowledge can easily unmerge the crap load of useless packages installed by the installer.

Do you think? IMHO it's where the dependency hell begins... That's why I use mini - there's only a 'mini' dependency hell :)
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby monday90 » Tue May 22, 2007 22:38

Perhaps I'm going at this from the wrong angle. Maybe I should use the mini version and emerge the extra packages I need. One of the few things I liked about SuSE was during the install I could choose exactly what applications I wanted.
Looking forward to seeing this updated installer. Is it likely to make 3.4??
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue May 22, 2007 23:39

Not that I am aware of.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Element » Wed May 23, 2007 2:08

I will support this decision. I remember using Fedora Core 4 and it had the most savvy package installer. It allowed me to select what packages I wanted and it had a detailed description of each package. Fabio and devs, if you can get this to work, I will be so happy. Thanks.
On Sabayon @ Freenode: <ColdFlo> im not asking for support <ColdFlo> im asking for help
Element
Growing Hen

Postby ajez » Wed May 23, 2007 8:54

Element wrote:I will support this decision. I remember using Fedora Core 4 and it had the most savvy package installer. It allowed me to select what packages I wanted and it had a detailed description of each package. Fabio and devs, if you can get this to work, I will be so happy. Thanks.

sabayon uses anaconda as installer, the same of redhat/fedora .. but without package selection because with the gentoo portage is impossible ATM.. devs are working on it with entropy.. STOP ASKING PLEASE!
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions