Upgrade via Ebuild??

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrade via Ebuild??

Postby Darksurf » Tue May 01, 2007 2:57

Is it possible to upgrade to 3.4 (or the next version) via ebuild?? I'd personally like to be able to just "emerge sys-misc/sabayonlinux-3.4" and it emerge all the programs and upgrades to the current version.

Is this even possible, or are there certain types of integration that only a fresh install can have?? (such as einit, etc.)
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby navman » Tue May 01, 2007 3:17

Thats a great idea. Just update and reconfigure could be faster than downloading and installing, and adjusting to your taste. I'd use it.
navman
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue May 01, 2007 6:34

well that is what world update is all about.

If you noticed in the past from version to version the updates were even too big for xdeltas
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Dark_MaGe » Tue May 01, 2007 8:40

actually the problem is that if we change opts or ldflags, an upgrade would be useless...would mean change the whole hd install...not a single package would be saved...in any case I'll talk with lxnay of the possibility of upgrading through internet...but....imho I think it's the same as downloading the dvd....if you want to keep updated...portage does it on its own when entropy will be ready you'll simply download the latest binaries and your system would be up and running like the latest sabayon
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby Darksurf » Tue May 01, 2007 14:53

OK, I've been pretty curious about that. People who use KDE (like me), probably shouldn't do a world update. KDE is really picky and the last time I tried, KDE didn't work anymore. Afterwards, I also realized we aren't running 3.5.6 exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that KDE is kinda running a patched version of 3.5.6 or a mixture of 3.5.5 and 3.5.6 . After emerging KDE 3.5.6 through a world update, KDE didn't work anymore. I couldn't even login. It just brought me back to the login screen over and over. I've thought about running the CVS of KDE, but I keep wavering between answers. So during my indecisiveness, I had to reinstall... :(

So if we do this maybe a warning in the news should be unveiled to tell the people, "hey, we changed opts or ldflags, so you may just want a fresh install ;) "
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Re: Upgrade via Ebuild??

Postby totedati » Tue May 01, 2007 16:54

Darksurf wrote:I'd personally like to be able to just "emerge sys-misc/sabayonlinux-3.4" and it emerge all the programs and upgrades to the current version

A good proposition. I'm like it. And for entropy way a mere 'emerge --getbinpkgonly sys-misc/sabayonlinux-3.4' is a good alternative. Even for me, using sabayon linux and not a 'pure gentoo' distribution because is not needed to install anything, 'emerge sys-misc/sabayonlinux-3.4' look sexy and can atract me in a gentoo buildfest pathway hell ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue May 01, 2007 23:48

Darksurf wrote:OK, I've been pretty curious about that. People who use KDE (like me), probably shouldn't do a world update. KDE is really picky and the last time I tried, KDE didn't work anymore. Afterwards, I also realized we aren't running 3.5.6 exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that KDE is kinda running a patched version of 3.5.6 or a mixture of 3.5.5 and 3.5.6 . After emerging KDE 3.5.6 through a world update, KDE didn't work anymore. I couldn't even login. It just brought me back to the login screen over and over. I've thought about running the CVS of KDE, but I keep wavering between answers. So during my indecisiveness, I had to reinstall... :(

So if we do this maybe a warning in the news should be unveiled to tell the people, "hey, we changed opts or ldflags, so you may just want a fresh install ;) "

no problems here upgrading KDE - my guess you over wrote an important config file
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Darksurf » Thu May 03, 2007 5:03

you may be right wolfden. After an entire rebuild of the OS and upgrade using emerge world. You begin to get tired and less intentive on what you are doing.... :P I probably could have just copied the config files from the live disc and fixed it..... didn't think of that 'till now... :shock:
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby Majamee » Thu May 03, 2007 11:02

I would love the idea of an upgradeable Sabayon Linux.

Especially if it could be included in the gui of entrophy. In the way that you'll noticed that there is an upgrade available and if you want to do the upgrade process now.
I don't realy like Ubuntu, but this function is a burner. It's the easiest way to keep up to date, if it's included directly IN the system.
This has several advantages:

1.) You only have to do the install process by hand once
2.) You needn't to download and burn the system everytime a new version is released
3.) You needn't to look regulary for an up-to-date version, cause it's done by you Sabayon Linux Update/Upgrade Service for you

By the way, it would be great if Sabayon can get a Update/Upgrade notifier for the taskbar.

Greetings,
Majamee
Majamee
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu May 03, 2007 11:09

world update will keep you current

setup a cron job and do it daily as it is a daily thing - not really that hard to do.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions