Use paludis as default package manager

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Use paludis as default package manager

Postby FuzZy2006 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 13:41

I'd like to have paludis as the default package manager in sabayon, instead portage. It solves many of the dependency problems from portage and is much faster than portage. You can find more information here: paludis.org . Documentation is pretty good and you can find a lot of infos about migration. Now, just tell me about it.
FuzZy2006
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Apr 20, 2007 13:58

I don't agree

if you want to go paludis than the person can simply convert
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby FuzZy2006 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 14:57

i see. what do you think that is bad about paludis? Or why shouldn't we make the switch? I don't see any reasons. In my opinion, it is the better alternative.
FuzZy2006
Young Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 0:43

Reasons for sticking with portage until Gentoo switches.
1. Familiarity with portage
2. Dynamics between paludis developers and Gentoo developers, and Sabayon developers
3. Entrophy would have to be rewritten to use paludis (biggest reason)
4. It would slow down Sabayon pacakge list stabilisation process
5. Many more....
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby voxiac » Sat Apr 21, 2007 14:03

Appleman1234 wrote:4. It would slow down Sabayon pacakge list stabilisation process

How?

Could you tell me more about that exciting process, since I still don't get how all those packages end up in the world file.

Although I like the fact that emerge, glsa-check, layman, modules-rebuild, etc. functionality is in one single app, I couldn't find the way to apply wolfdens excellent world update guide to paludis. I guess one might need to write a script to process that resume command paludis spits out to act like --resume --skipfirst of emerge. It's doable, I just don't have enough experience to write a hook :cry:.

EDIT: Oh... and since generation of binary packages isn't fully supported in paludis yet, it would be tricky to use it as a backend for entropy...
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby random guy » Thu May 17, 2007 7:11

it isnt ready for mainstream so probably shouldnt be there instead, nice suggestion though. not everyone is bold enough to fight the crowd.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby FuzZy2006 » Wed May 23, 2007 17:48

The differences between paludis and portage are pretty appealing. Checking dependencies is really fast, doesn't last more than a couple of seconds, syncing is way much faster, in terms of compilation i didn't have any problems related to it.
FuzZy2006
Young Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri May 25, 2007 18:53

The problem isn't the program itself, but the ripples it causes in how the distro is structured. The package manager (arguably) is the most important program in a meta-distro (like gentoo/SL). Changing the very foundation of the distro would take a lot of work. Work that could be better spent getting some of the other rougher edges out of the distro. I think Appleman has it, the BIG idea that is entropy would need to be completely reprogrammed to use paludis. That means starting almost from scratch on a set of programs that the devs have been working on now for months. Just not feasible. Let them get a working binary installation system working. Maybe in a year or two we can take a look at what the benefits of changing to paludis (as a default item) would be. Remember, everyone is free to use paludis if they so choose.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri May 25, 2007 23:45

I avoid it cause ciaranm is a prick, unless he no longer has anything to do with it than I might at least try it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby voxiac » Sat May 26, 2007 0:54

wolfden wrote:I avoid it cause ciaranm is a prick, unless he no longer has anything to do with it than I might at least try it.

Oh c'mon why so many Gentoo veterans say that? Does his... "prickness" also spread over the software he writes (like spit out random sarcastic comments instead of say package list ;))? Or devmanual for that sake? I'd just refer to a post on Gentoo Forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-39 ... ml#3964978

On a slightly different note have you tried pkgcore? There seem to be a lot less hype/discussions/flames around that one...
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions