here is hoping for 3.4 - wishlist

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby archwndas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:37

The problem is, it's a vast range of people and everyone has different wants. Personally I have no use for scientific software and probably 95% of the people don't either, so why should I get stuck with it? Some people like the demos, gives them a chance to try something different. Everybody is different and not everyone speaks up.

Yes, toss out suggestions, but at the same time don't blow up and continue to just use portage for your software needs. It's impossible to please everyone, but with the power of the package manager we all have the ability to turn our installs into what we want. We all need to be practical about this and can't get upset cause this package wasn't installed. Keep the suggestions coming, it never hurts to suggest and who knows what will be in store

I can understand that you want to satisfy as many people as possible and if they have different needs and interests there is no way to do that. But some priorities may be followed. For instance Demos of Games which are (mostly outdated) will not saisfy anybody. If somebody wants to try them out, then that is what portage is out there for. On the other hand if you have new-recent full edition of games then those may be welcome. Since the default KDE/GNOME Linux games are awful and stupid it would make sense to include Full state of the art Linux Games if they become available. But guys, please NOT DEMOS. Let's put it in another way. From the millions of software out there in the portage, you have chosen to include DEMOS on the official Sabayon Distribution? Even if people like the DEMOS then it is highly unlikely that they will buy the GAME. Nobody wants to buy software. So why should you include it after all if the full version is not easily accesible (not to mention that they are outdated inferior from they competitors in Windows)?

Regarding scientific stuff, at least they are not Demos, and they do not occupy too much space. Check out the packages I suggested and see for yourselves. I will rewrite them here for your convenience:
TeTeX,
LabPlot,
Grace,
AUCTex,
IceWM

just to name a few. Of course I can download them from portage. I can download everything from portage. It would be nice to have them there though instead of having demos. This is scientific software everybody is using.

Regarding games I believe it would be better if Sabayon included software such that Windows guys
could play Windows games in Linux. Such Software could be:

Cedega,
Win4Lin,

I do not know the implications regarding licensing e.t.c. But I would consider it if I was the leading developer of Sabayon.

Cheers,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 18:47

archwndas wrote:Regarding games I believe it would be better if Sabayon included software such that Windows guys
could play Windows games in Linux. Such Software could be:

Cedega,
Win4Lin,

I do not know the implications regarding licensing e.t.c. But I would consider it if I was the leading developer of Sabayon.

I would support this as well, but Cedega and Win4Lin are commercial software. In other words, somebody would have to pay for licensing and distribution with Sabayon. Right now it's not a for-profit distro. They ask for donations to keep their site/servers/devlopement in order.
An alternative would be to include the latest version of WINE to help aid compatability with other software.

Just my $.02 :wink:
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby R3MF » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:44

updated for v2.6.22 of the kernel.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 17:08

If your unhappy with the package selection then use the miniedition or CORE installer and emerge the rest. We should not push towards increased emulation. It's pointless running Linux to play windows games. We need to pressure the companies into making native linux installers and using Cedega (which costs money) is ultimately pointless.
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15

ScottishDuckHunter wrote:If your unhappy with the package selection then use the miniedition or CORE installer and emerge the rest. We should not push towards increased emulation. It's pointless running Linux to play windows games. We need to pressure the companies into making native linux installers and using Cedega (which costs money) is ultimately pointless.

It's not the entire package selection, it's just the game demos we're saying should go. I like many of the programs that come with Sabayon. It's just the (IMO) pointless game demos. Like I said, some full, free games (like Nexuiz) would be a nice alternative. I don't play games as much as I used to anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me.
I suggested Wine not specifically for games, but for many apps that Linux doesn't have (at least not at the moment.) I use Wine mainly for a select few windoze apps (eMule Xtreme and some similar apps.)
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby R3MF » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:18

agreed, just the demo's.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

install consistency checker

Postby realist144 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 16:57

1.I propose an install consistency checker. I have encountered some installation inconsistencies essp. with Gnome.
2.Reboot after first install takes forever and may cause or indicate problems. I have to force it via hardware reboot. (I have Asus M2N SLI NF59 motherboard)
3. Virtualbox-bin is a wrong package on the cd that conflicts with virtualbox-additions making program useless. 'Virtualbox' package must be included in the cd replacing 'virtualbox-bin' and 'virtalbox-additions' must be added.
4. Superadduser should be added to program collection. There are less essential (junk) programs on the cd, but this one missing. I am surprised that something usefull and real small is missing and I have to go through emerge to get it on the system.

Take care,
Greg
:idea:
realist144
Baby Hen

installation tips and tricks

Postby realist144 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 17:59

I also propose to create an "installation tips and tricks" document and place it on the desktop in plain view. That will save search time tremendously and assist newbees migration to linux. Also education is a great selling point. I know you are free & open source, yet you ask for donation$. So you can include a donation link at the end or throughout such educational document. I know you placed Donation link icon on the desktop, but that people may easily erase, but if you incorporate donation links among educational links, that will stay on the desktop for sure, I can even guarantee at least 90% rate. It also will show that you really really care, instead of just "go google it" attitude.

What comes to mind:
0. Greetings. Call it emotional, but here you can express your philosophies and views behind Sabayon project. Display link to latest announcements that people would like to check frequently. State that it's being updated so people will keep it on desktop.
1. General Lunux guides (best links around you know)
2. Sabayon specific such as: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/wiki/index. ... tage_Guide
3. Beryl and Beryl on Twin View guide/links, Nvidia, Ati (from simple tips like "running Acceleration manager first, then twin view, but don't save in Nvidia as it destroys beryl" to more complex tweaks)
4. Other hardware/software hot & specific tips and tricks and links

Make/keep it updated and specific to the point of solving a particular task.

(I have to charge you for all these ideas, but what the heck I donate them)

Take care,
Greg. :D
realist144
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions