here is hoping for 3.4 - wishlist

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby archwndas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 16:41

guys I apologize for entering this thread so late, but I would like to say a few things.

a) Please, no demo games in Sabayon. Who would like to play a demo? And who would like to waste
space in his DVD just to store there demos? Demos are demos. Nothing serious. You could just have
them in the portage and the ones who are interested could just emerge them.

b) No stupid Games in Sabayon PLEASE. Games in Windows have evelved significantly and users
are used to extraordinary games with crazy graphics and capabilities. If such a thing exists in Linux
and it is not a demo then allright; include it. If not however how many people do you think will be
interested? How likely is a Windows user to install Linux just to play those stupid Linux games? They
cannot be compared with Windows games.

c) So just restrict games (FPS) to those which are not demos and that subset of them which are really
attractive alternatives to Windows games. We are talking about a quality at least higher than that of
Counter-Strike Condition Zero.

d) Please test extensively GNOME (power - manager, logout when Beryl is on, vlc, e.t.c.).

e) I would like to see IceWM replacing or just one more alternative to heavy window managers.
f) Including twm wouldn't be bad (with a black background).

that's for now.
Best,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby R3MF » Wed Jul 04, 2007 17:02

i thought the demo were a waste of time too.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby archwndas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 17:17

It is nice I find somebody who agrees with me. You see, there is nobody who will seriously consider playing demos. Who likes demos anyway. Not to mention that those demos present games which cannot compete Windows games. So they cannot even be used for promoting purposes. And just think how much space they occupy in the Sabayon DVD iso image. I would be very happy if that spaced was occupied by more important and useful things.

What about the latest intel C/C++/Fortran compilers?

What about Win4Lin?

What about Cedega?

Best,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby csendesmark » Wed Jul 04, 2007 22:11

archwndas wrote:

It is nice I find somebody who agrees with me. You see, there is nobody who will seriously consider playing demos. Who likes demos anyway. Not to mention that those demos present games which cannot compete Windows games. So they cannot even be used for promoting purposes. And just think how much space they occupy in the Sabayon DVD iso image. I would be very happy if that spaced was occupied by more important and useful things.

What about the latest intel C/C++/Fortran compilers?

What about Win4Lin?

What about Cedega?

Best,
Archwn.

I agree too &
I would like to see a good 3D feature testprogram like this:

Link -> rthdribl v.1.2 (DirectX9)

Okay, I know this is for windows, but something like this will be usefull (for hardware stability test)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby archwndas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:36

Moreover I think things that are missing are:

TeTeX,
LabPlot,
IceWM,
Grace,
emacs with auctex,

other nice Window Managers
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 15:36

archwndas wrote:TeTeX,
LabPlot,
IceWM,
Grace,
emacs with auctex

These are all in Portage and can be emerged.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby archwndas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 16:27

These are all in Portage and can be emerged.

While the other are not? The issue here is to suggest packages which we would love to see in the Sabayon DVD. All the packages available in Sabayon DVD can be emerged. Even the (fps) demos can be emerged. The point is what we need most? (FPS) demos that nobody is wants to play since they are just demos or important programs with which we work all day long?

Cheers,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 05, 2007 23:01

The problem is, it's a vast range of people and everyone has different wants. Personally I have no use for scientific software and probably 95% of the people don't either, so why should I get stuck with it? Some people like the demos, gives them a chance to try something different. Everybody is different and not everyone speaks up.

Yes, toss out suggestions, but at the same time don't blow up and continue to just use portage for your software needs. It's impossible to please everyone, but with the power of the package manager we all have the ability to turn our installs into what we want. We all need to be practical about this and can't get upset cause this package wasn't installed. Keep the suggestions coming, it never hurts to suggest and who knows what will be in store. :)
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby zouzou85 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 0:39

I agree with the fact that game demos are a waste of space. but i also agree that the distro will reflect what the users want and that portage is a great tool to turn your OS to what you want. i believe that most sabayon users use NO MORE than 25% of the packages preinstalled in the dvd. some people want something useful and some want something for fun. how do you satisfy both groups? (bigger ISO image or two DVD's and a refined package selector with realtime search tool maybe)
This distro is not EVERYTHING FOR EVERYBODY, neither should it try to be (this will bring it own destruction).
i do agree with archwndas on the especially tweaked kernel for performance, but WM's can be installed. might take a few hours, but i am sure it is worth the time.

but hey, the demos are wasteful.
Ignorance is not shameful. Arrogantly ignoring and denying your ignorance is.
All men are capable of learning, except two: The Arrogant and The Shy.
zouzou85
Growing Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:42

I also agree that the demos are wasteful of valuable space. I'd rather see some open-source and/or full games (Nexuiz comes to mind) instead of demos of outdated games. Most games I play only work on Windoze (but I do have a few Linux-compatable ones like Doom 3, Quake 4, UT2K4, and Postal 2). This is one reason I support the idea I posted in my "Ultimate Edition" thread (read my latest post in there) - have someone make a game DVD separate, and of course have it strictly optional.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions