The Nordic shed

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

The Nordic shed

Postby Lasse » Tue Apr 10, 2007 19:41

Everyday I see the different sheds for the different countries. How about creating a shed for the Nordic users aswell? This has been done on the Gentoo forums also. There are approximately 9 000 000 people living in Sweden, 5 400 000 people living in Denmark, 4 600 000 people living in Norway, 300 000 people living in Iceland, 5 300 000 people living in Finland, 57 000 people living in Greenland and 3 000 people living in Svalbard. All are capable of communicating with each others in some way. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are languages that heritages from the same languagefamily, and the years in union with each others, has made the languages pretty like each others.

From what I know, I do belive that the people in Finland also have Swedish at school.

I do not know how many Nordic Sabayon users there is here, but it is clearly a potential for a Nordic forum also!

If possible, I would also like to request a Nordic subsection of the wiki-pages, maybe under an own section called international/locale. I am writing alot of hints, howto's etc in my Norwegian blog, but it would be easier for the other Nordic users if it also was to be found here, maybe in a Nordic subsection of the wiki-page?

Regards
Lasse (Norwegian, living in exile in Sweden.. :))
Lasse
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Apr 10, 2007 22:41

The problem we are running into with the sheds is not enough helpers helping out
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby turquoise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:05

If I may add my two cents on the subject of the sheds, I'd say it's not so much about the need for a very advanced user to moderate or help, but more about finding someone who has lots of free time, knows english well enough to find the answers -- whether it is elsewhere on the forum or elsewhere -- and be able to relay them in the appropriate language, and who is willing to deal with all this.

It's true that it's a bit difficult at first because there are very few users in the language-specific sheds who are able to do that, but it does get better with time. There are times I wish I knew more about this and that so I could help more users, but in the end, I feel that the most important thing is that a majority of users can get an answer to their question in a language they understand. I don't really have a need for the French shed since English isn't a problem for me. However, no matter how good my english is, I'm still, and always will be, more comfortable using my own native language.
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby Lasse » Thu Apr 12, 2007 0:09

turquoise, I could not agree more..

Even though people learn English from the second grade over here, their native tongue will always be something else...

I find it odd that this should be the main argument for not creating different sheds, when it already exists for some users (German, Italian etc). From some of my Norwegian forums, I have seen that a lot of younger people are giving SL a try, and ends up with asking questions in those places, since they can post in their native language, without having to think about correct grammar, and how to explain their problems in a foreign language. Would it not be nice to help them in the distro-specific forum?

From other forums, I will say that most people gets answers to their questions, in their own language. Look at the Nordic Gentoo forum, the country specifics Ubuntu forums and all those others forums out there. Distro specific problems will always be solved in some way, by people that would like to help out the community. If one are presented with a nice distro (like I belive that SL is), it is amazing how far some people would go, to «pay back» to the developers.

For a relatively young distro like SL, I would say that it is important to take care of these kinds of aspects, before the distro really hits the top. If one have the basic functions in place, it would be easier to grow in the way that the developers would like to see the distro grow. Just look at the activity in the forum before the release of 3.3 and after, one can not expect 100 helpers from day one in the different sheds, but it will slowly grow (or explode ;)). A baby crawls, before he learns to walk.

And I do hope that even though I only managed to get responses from the American continent, there are other Nordic users out there ... :P

Best regards from Norway/Sweden! (And thumbs up for your work here!!)
Lasse
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:20

The different sheds are a great idea, but the sheds need to find themselves people dedicated to making their shed work. That is the main issue.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby turquoise » Thu Apr 12, 2007 19:02

I have to agree with you on this, this is an important issue. No need for me to go very far to see a good example of this since my fellow mod in the French Shed is pretty much missing in action, and also what has happened in the Spanish Shed recently...

On the other hand, I see that most of the other sheds seem to be working quite well, and I have been able to manage well enough in the French Shed after the other mod went MIA. Other than my feeling that it's important to be able to communicate in my own language, one of the main reasons that makes me stick around is that I think Sabayon is a great distro and I want to contribute to its success but since I don't have any programming knowledge, this is the best way for me to participate.

So the big question is: are there enough people speaking Nordic languages here that are willing to deal with this, and most importantly, willing to stick around?
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby cybermanxp » Fri Apr 13, 2007 18:17

Hello.
It is my first post in this forum. Sabayon should be very proud to see so many have adopt theirs work.
Most of the succes are to go out to all people and language.
Like me, a old man who has not a good english. I will prefer to speak nordic, but dont know how many we are from the arctic country.
For me I will use the nordic.
cybermanxp
Baby Hen

Postby Lasse » Sun Apr 15, 2007 14:09

Velkommen til forumet og SL! ;)

Well, I surely hope that we will see a Nordic subsection to the forums on this page, if not, I do believe that we some day will see another webpage that offers this kind of support/help. For the benefit of SL, I just hope that it is presented on this page first, so that the expertise here is ready to answers questions from the new users when they discover SL, and that they do not need to search the web for a supportforum using their language.

I have no idea what has happened to the French and Spanish sheds, as I do not speak those languages. But what you really need, is not 20 admins and gods, you ned users that are willing to help others out. Maybe also users that are willing to help other users who have problems communicating in English, so that they can solve and find answers to issues and problems that they discover. To my opinion, this is a crucial thing, to ensure the future growth of SL.

cybermanxp; If you do have questions regarding SL, I do recommend you to use the linux1.no forum, as you there are able to post your questions in Norwegian, and read the answers in Norwegian. (Only as a temporary solution, I hope..) The linux1.no forum is an distro independent forum.

Just my 2 cents...
Lasse
Simple Hen

Postby cybermanxp » Sat Apr 21, 2007 0:32

Tenker at SL en dag, hvis det har livets rett har en norsk(nordisk) "shed".

Thank you for the response. I hope one day at we can get an nordic shed.

I will follow up.
cybermanxp
Baby Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions