how to deal with portage

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby voxiac » Sat Mar 24, 2007 0:54

john_doe wrote:
lxnay wrote:Also, another issue on Gentoo is that PORTAGE dependencies management just SUCKS A LOT.

Hi,
did you thought about alternatives,i.e Paludis?I'm using only Paludis since quite a time beeing impressed and satisfied.
Sure,he is stricter than Portage,but is that not the business of a package manager?

I'm sure he did, especially after me submitting some paludis related bugs on bugzilla. :D Did you mean using paludis for preparation of the release only or as the main package manager in sabayon?
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby nikaya » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:09

voxiac wrote: Did you mean using paludis for preparation of the release only or as the main package manager in sabayon?

Both,of course. :wink:
former john_doe
nikaya
Growing Hen

Postby voxiac » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:52

voxiac wrote:Did you mean using paludis for preparation of the release only or as the main package manager in sabayon?

I just thought that the latter will introduce more problems than it'll solve (most users will become completely confused), while the former depends on whether lxnay is willing to fight with paludis to gain a better dependency handling.
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby nikaya » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:47

voxiac wrote:I just thought that the latter will introduce more problems than it'll solve (most users will become completely confused), while the former depends on whether lxnay is willing to fight with paludis to gain a better dependency handling.

Maybe you are right.Portage is the official package manager of Gentoo with tons of documentation.
But building a pre-configured sabayon with Paludis and afterwards using Portage by $USER is imho not a very good idea.Both are handling some things different and I think this can result in problems.
former john_doe
nikaya
Growing Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions