sabayon binary repositories available to everyone (solved)

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

sabayon binary repositories available to everyone (solved)

Postby opensas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:21

hi everyone

I've been using gentoo for a couple of months, and I really like the way things work with this distro.

But sometimes, I just want to emerge an app right away, and then, when I've got time, compile it.

So I think that sabayon might provide binary repositories, not only for sabayon user but also to all gentoo users.

There are lots of people complaining about having to wait for hours (maybe even days) to intall openoffice, to put an example.

If we could give them an alternative it would be great.

I know that maintaining such a repository would be a terrible burden, but I'm sure it would be worth the effort, and it would be a good way to attract lots of people that "just can't wait" to give a try to sabayon.

Saludos

Sas

PS: I've just noticed you climbed up to the 9nth on distrowatch... My congratulations!!!

PS2: If you know of any binary repository I could use with gentoo, please let me know :wink:
Last edited by opensas on Mon Mar 05, 2007 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
opensas
Baby Hen

Postby onlyoneskwalla » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:39

I know the livedvd offers Klik which seems to be a download and run type solution. From what I've read it's klikable packages are based off debian package. OOo as far as I know comes with Sabayon DVD, so I don't understand why you would recompile except if your running the minicd. Anyways you should be able to use Klik to accomplish most of your goals, I don't know exactly how bleeding edge the Klik packages are.
onlyoneskwalla
Advanced Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53

please be patient, it's a long term goal but we'll get there
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby wolfden » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:27

Compiling has always been the thing for Gentoo, one should learn about a distro before using it so they understand how the package manager works.

Portage is what sets Gentoo a side from the other distros.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby GregK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:16

I agree with opensas! Of course I understand how great portage can be, and that it's the main characteristic feature of Gentoo, but if SL wants to compete with other distros e.g. Debian-based, it really needs to have the repository = possibility to to install software faster than in a few hours. We must remember that when a complete noob or just an average user hears that he has to compile in Sabayon, he might be completely discouraged, even though everything else works for him with SL just perfect... :?

P.S. I'm really happy that lxnay shares this point of view - can't wait for new SL, and for repo, of course! :D
GregK
Simple Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:22

wait for entrophy :) (which lxnay is developing and provides just that)
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby GregK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16

Appleman1234 wrote:wait for entrophy :) (which lxnay is developing and provides just that)

Hmmm... Does Appleman know something we do not (apart from this very modest info from lxnay on the SL homepage)??? :twisted:
GregK
Simple Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48

See the entrophy post in this forum or see the source code on sabayon's svn.

Use your eyes and you will see, use your ears and you will hear, use your senses and you will be aware and learn.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby GregK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:34

Appleman1234 wrote:See the entrophy post in this forum or see the source code on sabayon's svn.

Use your eyes and you will see, use your ears and you will hear, use your senses and you will be aware and learn.

OK, OK... I got it! And thanks for reminding me about the rule: search before asking! :D
GregK
Simple Hen

Postby opensas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 13:26

lxnay wrote:please be patient, it's a long term goal but we'll get there

hooray!!!

just can't wait to put my dirty hands on it
opensas
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions