Vote on 3.3 Theme

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Please read below, visit the links to check out the possible themes, and vote on which you like!

Option 1 - This is the 3.2 theme. Please continue looking like this!
43%
Option 2 - This is the next possible theme for 3.3. It's different, and pl
33%
Option 3 - I dislike them both to the point that I cannot support either over the other.
24%

Total votes : 49

Postby promark » Mon Feb 05, 2007 20:53

Maybe something like this, although not a great fan of orange but it does go well with black.

Has it got to be orange? One thing I would like is the colour of the Suse kicker menu to be changed or be able to change it, not a great fan of pink (or is it salmon) either

promark
Simple Hen

Postby beli0135 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 0:20

Suggested 3.3 theme is pure visual polution and should not come into consideration.
my 2 cents
beli0135
Simple Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:09

Alright. So, like I said, my theory is that all criticism is worth something, even the "i h8 u" kind that doesn't really say what the positives and negatives are. However, that kind of criticism is worth less than the kind that *does* detail what you like and don't like.

Anyway, here's what I've gathered based in large part on sociological observations and on the phrasing used by those who were at least a little articulate, heh.

You want something more smooth than crisp, more soothing than striking, more classic than groundbreaking, more conservative than abstract, more blended than contrasting, more sophisticated and mature than springy and vibrant, and darker all over.

So yeah. I can work with that. I've got to go eat dinner now, but yeah, after that I guess I'll go back to the drawing board and see if I can appease the old guard. :P

And for the people who made rushed posts, if you *would* make a new post that says what you like and what you don't like in both the old theme and the new theme, I'd appreciate it.
My soul hurts. Please read what happened. It hurts, and nothing will happen. Perhaps they will try to soothe their conscience by removing this from my signature, so read it, and talk about it.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:35

Let me try to explain something :) (again ?)

When it has to be orange, there can be different types of orange,

1. something like :
2 something like :

In 3.20+ the second one is used a lot which don't attract very much till the wallpaper pops up and then it gets the attention.
That's because the colors are getting darker (closer to red) which are more appealing then the other one (closer to yellow).

If the orange like in nr.2 gets replaced by nr.1 for the bootscreen and such, it would be a large improvement, even if the graphics and the rest would remain the same :)

gr again,
Amp
Last edited by AmpLiF1eR on Wed Feb 07, 2007 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby lowboyblue » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50

For what it matters, I choose option #1.
I like to think of Sabayon as a little red Ferrari with flowers!
lowboyblue
Simple Hen

Postby SteelRage » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:38

Well, first of all I would say that it's not really possible to compare the 2 themes, simply because the 2nd is not a theme, but a wallpaper.

To decide if would be cool as a new theme, I suppose there should be icons, panels and applets.

Speaking about wallpapers, then, I would like the current one more than the second, because it features only smooth gradients from red to orange to yellow. This makes easier to choose colors of windows/icons/decorations/trasparences so they're readable and well integrated in the Desktop Environment.
The second wallpaper catches the attention of the user only to the left yellow and orange circles. I don't know how much this would be useful when adding icons and eventual superkaramba applets/themes.
Also, the first thing I thought when seeing it it was: "It's ugly!". Maybe adding gradients, light effects and so on would make it more pleasant to look ;)

Speaking about themes, instead, I can only talk about the first one.
It's very nice to look, but IMHO the choice to use 2 panels "steals" too much room to the desktop; this could be a problem with screen resolutions up to 1024x768 when making massive use of multimedia applications (and a big trouble when using sequencers and HD recording software). For higher resolutions, anyway, it shouldn't be a problem.

My choice would be to use a Mac-like approach: an auto-hidable centered transparent kicker on the bottom with only the K menu and some quicklaunch icons (for example using kooldock, ksmoothdock, kibadock, etc, so you can use parabolic zooming to make desktop cooler ;)) and the applications bar moved to the top, so there wouldn't be the actual wasted/unused space on the top-left.
SteelRage
Baby Hen

Postby teom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:32

In not so many words, I prefer the 3.2 theme, the colors feel smoother to me. The 3.3 proposal colors hurt my eyes. However I like some concepts of the 3.3 theme, it's just that the colors should be (I don't know how to say it better) softer, more crayon-like.
From the 3.2 theme I really don't like the chicken-foot logo, my gf doesn't want to use Sabayon because she doesn't want to see the damned chicken foot every time she turns on the computer.
So I think the way to go is a design with no chicken feet and with colors like 3.3 but smoother and softer.
EDIT: I saw the other files in the 3.3 proposal and now I'm sorry I voted for 3.2, but I still think the colors on the wallpaper and on the logo could be softer and could use some gradients.
teom
Young Hen

Postby 4r5eN » Wed Feb 07, 2007 0:07

I agree.. That sabayon logo is disastrous, but theme is ok. Maybe to be included both of them in 3.3?
Or, if possibe let users decide during the installation witch they prefer...
4r5eN
Young Hen

Postby Darksurf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 20:08

I was wondering when Sabayon would come out with a DARK look! I love the darker look. its easier on the eyes and is my style. It becomes a hassel to try and re-configure everything to have a dark theme, but now I can just install Sabayon and BOOM! there is my Dark beautiful theme! I'm gonna save this theme so I can use it in the next version of Sabayon and So on! :wink:
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby terlmann » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:10

I voted 3. sabayon needs a theme that is REALLLY GLAAASSSYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
glassglassglassglassglass smooth shiny metallic futuristic totally glassed
3d 3d3d3d3d3d3d .
signature banned. User banned by the Sabayon Linux Forum Staff.
terlmann
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions