The way Beryl is loaded should be changed to the v3.20 way..

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby FuzZy2006 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46

to make beryl load during the login splash (the one with that circle and loading items) you have to do this:
nano -w /etc/env.d/99kde-env
and write in it: KDEWM=beryl
then save it and do : env-update; source /etc/profile
i took this from the beryl xeffects site http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Beryl. worked for me, hope it works for you.
FuzZy2006
Young Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Thu Feb 08, 2007 13:03

FuzZy2006 wrote:to make beryl load during the login splash (the one with that circle and loading items) you have to do this:
nano -w /etc/env.d/99kde-env
and write in it: KDEWM=beryl
then save it and do : env-update; source /etc/profile
i took this from the beryl xeffects site http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Beryl. worked for me, hope it works for you.

it works, thanks.
But I have to say that this issue was a problem on v0.1.4, on the latest Beryl, it doesn't happen that much anymore.

It seems that Beryl is waiting till everything is loaded and then loads at last, causing it to load perfectly (same effect as loading it in front of everything, the key is that it should not load at the same time with something else).
Only in a few occasions (which not happen often anymore), things like liquidweather (karamba) doesn't load nicely , causing it to interfere with the loading of Beryl with a crash as result.
But thanks again, this always works well for me :)

gr.
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Majamee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:45

I agree with AmpLiF1eR. It woulb be much nicer if Beryl loads before the Desktop is shown. That should also fix the problem that emerald doesn't work right. I mean sometimes the emerald theme isn't activated because of beryl wasn't ready with loading before I opened a window. This couldn't be the right way, that I have to wait a guessed time so that beryl is really ready with loading.

Greetz,
Majamee

ps: I hope this is understandable, 'cause I'm not a native english speaking person ;)
Majamee
Baby Hen

Postby R3MF » Wed Mar 21, 2007 18:45

makes sense. :)
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby schivmeister » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10

i've been on 3.2 and beryl-9999 and then finally 0.2 no problems no crashes 100% stable :) So that would buffer the claim that loading up beryl before is a better choice. Hope this gets implemented in 3.3 mini :)
schivmeister
Simple Hen

Beryl in twin view doesn't work, or to be exact...

Postby realist144 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:26

Beryl in twin view doesn't work on Sabayon 3.4 3, or to be exact it works once if I enable twin view in user first and then switch to root, strange thing it doesn't work in user account, but it runs only for one session in root after the first switch users. Then after pc reboot Beryl stops working even in root and even after user switch session. I did save xorg.conf file while Beryl was active in twin view. I did save it in diff places under diff names, not only in Nvidia ServerSettings. Later comparison showed no change in xorg.conf is taking place, it's rather other factors stopping Beryl. I just want to contribute some feedback as I am interested to eventually having it on Twin view as I am into multitasking and this is a cool way to do it. I am switching from windows to linux with windows running in Virtual box(still need some M$ programs). I understand that linux is the future and this is a pivotal year and right time to switch, So I am going through lots of Linux learning. I am planning to expand to quad monitor setup, hope you support SLI. My hardware: board Asus M2N nf59 wireless, AMD 4600+ 2X, Corsair 4 gig 4-4-4-12, video Gigabyte Geforce8600, Audio CreativeLabs 24 bit, HD Western Digital Sata2, but currently running on IDE Seagate Barracuda as test install. I can probably betatest certain things for you, but those that I am interested to have which are Beryl on twin view and windows emulators. By the way Virtual Box that is preinstalled in Sabayon 3.4 3 virtualbox-bin is unusable as it conflicts with virtualbox-additions. So I had to uninstall that and install Virtualbox, virtualbox-modules, then virtualbox-additions, then I could adjust resolution on windows guest. Another obvious thing missing is Superadduser and some sort of introduction for newbees migrating to linux: simple useful stuff like how install a program, add user, give permission to run a program from root to user. I am a savvy user, not exactly a geek, don't like to compile, but like to tweak things a lot the way I want them to be. I am naturally observant , methodical and articulate. I do some math, yet very intuitive and prefer visual (geometric) approach, so I use tons of charts and graphs and heavy files (200mb) I like GUIs of all kinds and 'Excel to C# converters', more interactive, the better.
Hope you are going to fix Beryl on TwinView in upcoming release, include right virtualbox file and there is a problem with reboot after first install, it freezes and forces to manual pc reboot that sometimes crashes Gnome making inconsistent installs. I went through perhaps a dozen reinstalls in few days learning your system. I found your Linux distro the best that I can work with on my hardware performing my sort of tasks. Overall I find you the best group around who understands and implements Desktop concept of end user interactivity. Other Linux developers still don't get it and actually say fullish things like "this isn't for dummies or you have to read a lot", rather exposing thier attachments to a Server concept that assumes those haker skills and years of admin experience. Desktop concept it radically different and I find lots of Unix folks just waste time playing smart asses and never getting to the point of creating True desktop environment of high user interactivity. They always come with the Server style excuses "Oh see how smart and stable we are". God damn it, just make the Desktop job done, forget your Server philosophies. Desktop is a different idea, just drop your snob server style take it would fail. Desktop is all about user interactivity, you like it or not this is conceptual difference and I am spelling for those stubborn yet wanna be server intellectuals. You may like your Unix terminal to death, but it doesn't fit well in the Desktop concept. It's not about your "likes" versus "likes" of others, it's about differences in design and thinking and accomplishing more in less time with less effort, having more fun.
Take care,
Greg. :wink:
realist144
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:57

:shock:

beryl and twin view work just fine - I use it all the time. Search around for a bit and you can probably find a solution as many have had that bump.

future versions of sabayon will be compiz-fusion
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby realist144 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:00

Dear Sharecropper Wolfden, thank you for your prompt reply. It rather indicates that proper Beryl function under twin view may not be an option available for everybody, not as a result of public version of Sabayon install , so additional tweaking may be needed. So you admit that Sabayon is user friendly only till certain point after which additional work and search outside of the installation package or perhaps even outside this very site is required. Yes, Sabayon distro may be user friendlier then other highly philosophical distros of other linuxes around the globe, yet not friendly enough, just enough to collect consultant fees?. And you boldly send me to google around the entire net on unverified statement of yours that this thing is actually working??? How friendly is that?..and Saying that you are willing to admit actually having the answer. Oh yeh, may be you even have a secret in house version of Sabayon that doe$ the job right...Please keep talking..

Whether your alleged working setup is a result of secret Sabayon install or additional tweaking/hacking xorg.conf or other files I would like to see some evidence of you not bluffing. Could you simply post content of xorg.conf from your system. I promise not to be dumb enough to just copy/paste it directly, but use it as another reference. Also content of other files you may consider responsible for proper Beryl function.
Realistically yours,
Greg
:?
realist144
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:24

You may want to start here
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730

Some great resources.

You have to also keep in mind that beryl is and never was a stable piece of software. I do not have a secretely encoded sabayon linux. I have the same software as you. People have posted a lot of issues with beryl and fixes have also been posted, that is why I said search around a little you can find em.

I could post all my youtube videos as proof but xvid cap only captures one screen, it can't do both.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-i_oWuUKI4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r9oHZQVGrF8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=svv9zHcuivo

Beryl be default has that Launch Fall Back Window checked and that is a big reason why many reboot and can't get beryl to work, needs to be unchecked under the red gem. This been address on the forum and in the irc chat many times.

My xorg is a mess cause I am constantly testing things but have a free look - I have no reason to lie or mislead anyone when I say something works when it actually works. Don't you think the forums would be over flowing with the same posts if something didn't work?? Why you post in an old thread is another mystery instead of making a new one. This thread has nothing to do with your issues.

Hardware is definitely going to be another issue also. Some things to try if something isn't working properly, uninstall it and reinstall it, including the config files so it can have a fresh start. Sabayon Linux is great for those that want to boot up and have a working operating system, but if they want to go deeper than they will have to do some learning and there is a learning curve to gentoo based operating systems. Newbs use this operating system every day and catch on, it just takes a bit of learning and doing effective searching here on this site and on the gentoo.org site.

Keep in mind tho, Beryl is not and never was stable and now is phased out to Compiz-Fusion, which is even more unstable. Sabayon Linux has nothing to do with their development. Gentoo Xeffects is maintainer for these packages. Sabayon Linux is adding the packages to their own overlay. You can follow compiz-fusion progress thru their site http://forums.opencompositing.org/ and also http://forums.gentoo-xeffects.org/

Code: Select all
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
   Load      "extmod"

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section "Files"

#    FontPath   "unix/:-1"

#    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/freefont"
#    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/sharefonts"
#   FontPath    "/usr/local/share/fonts"

FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/local"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/local/share/fonts"
EndSection

# Server flags section.

Section "ServerFlags"

Option "Xinerama" "off"
 Option "AIGLX" "true"

EndSection

# Input devices

# Core keyboard's InputDevice section

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"   "us"

EndSection

# Core Pointer's InputDevice section

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier   "Mouse1"
  # Driver   "mouse"
  # Option   "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
  # Option   "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
  # Option   "Device"    "/dev/psaux"
 Driver       "mouse"
 Option "CorePointer"
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
 Option "Resolution" "800" #optional
 Option "Buttons" "10"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
 EndSection
# **##3.05##################
#    Identifier   "Mouse1"
#    Driver   "mouse"

#    Option   "Device"   "/dev/psaux"
#    Option   "Protocol"   "ImPS/2"
#    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

# EndSection

# Section "InputDevice"
#    Identifier   "Mouse2"
#    Driver   "mouse"
#    Option   "Protocol"   "ImPS/2"
#    Option   "Device"   "/dev/input/mice"
#    Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# EndSection
# **##3.05 END ##################

# ****************
# Tablet Section
# ****************

# Section "InputDevice"
#  Driver        "wacom"
#  Identifier    "stylus"
#  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"   # USB ONLY
#  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
#  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
#  Option   "Mode"      "Absolute"
#  Option   "PressCurve"   "0,5,95,100"
#  Option   "Button2"   "3"
#  Option   "Button3"   "2"
# EndSection

# Section "InputDevice"
#  Driver        "wacom"
#  Identifier    "eraser"
#  Option        "Type"          "eraser"
#  Option   "Mode"      "Absolute"
#  Option   "PressCurve"   "0,5,95,100"
#  Option   "Button2"   "3"
#  Option   "Button3"   "2"
# EndSection

# Section "InputDevice"
#  Driver        "wacom"
#  Identifier    "cursor"
#  Option        "Type"          "cursor"
# EndSection

# This section is for Intuos3, Cintiq 21UX, or Graphire4 only
# Section "InputDevice"
#  Driver        "wacom"
#  Identifier    "pad"
#  Option        "Type"          "pad"
#  Option   "ButtonsOnly" "on"
#  Option   "Button9" "2"
#  Option   "Button13" "3"
# EndSection

# Monitor section

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "My Monitor"
    VertRefresh 43 - 60
    HorizSync   28 - 80
#    Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

# Graphics device section

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Dispositivo1"
    Driver      "nvidia"
   # BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen      0   
    #Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
    #Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "NoLogo" "On"
    Option "TwinView" "true"
   # Option "MetaModes"                "1440x900,1440x900"
    Option "MetaModes"                "1440x900,1280x1024; 1280x1024,1280x1024"
    Option "HorizSync"                "CRT-0: 31.5-105; CRT-1: 31.5-105"
    Option "VertRefresh"              "CRT-0: 60-75; CRT-1: 60-75"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor"         "CRT-0,CRT-1"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices"     "TV-0"
   #  Option "TwinViewOrientation"      "RightOf"
      #   Option     "MetaModes"  "1024x768"
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "43 - 60"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "28 - 80"
EndSection

# Screen sections

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen1"
    Device      "Dispositivo1"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
       # Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
       # Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
      #  Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier     "Normal"
 Screen         "Screen1"
 InputDevice    "Mouse1"         "CorePointer"
 InputDevice    "Keyboard1"      "CoreKeyboard"
 Option    "Xinerama"       "off"
 Option         "Clone"          "off"
  Option         "AIGLX"          "true"
#  InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
#  InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
#  InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"    # For non-LCD tablets only
#  InputDevice    "pad"   "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Enable"
#       Option "RENDER" "Enable"
#       Option "DAMAGE" "true"

EndSection
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby realist144 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 15:19

Thanks again for prompt reply and related links. Those are good and definitely save search time wondering around. I sponge all ongoing IT gossip and possible tweaks at accelerated rate, Yet I would like to focus on the possible solution even further and come strait to the answer this time. I am thinking NvidiaSettings may save twin desktop settings only, not Beryl's and that actually explains why Twin desktop run and Beryl doesn't at the next session. So all the setting must be saved, not just Nvidia's. So here is my direct and most important question:

How to save working session settings to xorg.conf file within KDE? I mean all the settings of entire session, not just single device.

I did google around this one and searched within this forum, didn't find a definitive answer. Please answer the question between dotted lines. The solution may be that simple and right around the corner. I just have to figure this one and not tweak anything else, just click somewhere on "Save session settings". I am too new and don't know what does that to xorg.conf. Apreciate a tip on this one.
Thanks again,
Greg. :oops:
realist144
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions