Garish colors imposed arbitrarily

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Garish colors imposed arbitrarily

Postby bobmc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:42

I have been using Sabayon for at least 2 years and it has been good. But now I am dismayed by the hot pink login screen that looks like the art work of a child with his candy goop. I ignored it hoping it would be normalized after a few updates but it lingers.

Please bring back the simple, cool background which was good enough. I use Xfce with a dark desktop .. no images or patterns. I prefer for the login screen to be uninteresting as well.
Sabayon 14.07+ (XFCE), Zotac ION330, Zotac ION220, HVR-1950, 950Q
bobmc
Young Hen

Re: Garish colors imposed arbitrarily

Postby wolfden » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:05

Artwork will always be some like, some not. You can easily change themes and backgrounds yourself.

http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30404
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Garish colors imposed arbitrarily

Postby thecata » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:00

I would like to take this opportunity to reinforce my idea: could we have two sets of artwork? One bright, one dark for those of us who would like dark, "uninteresting" screens. (Of course, I don't have anything against multiple, user contributed themes, but the mechanism still needs to be implemented)

The simplest implementation would be with eselect I think (something like "eselect theme dark")... just a matter of updating a couple of symlinks/bash constants (it works fine for setting python, ruby, java, vi, opengl and so many others... the mechanisms are already there, it's just a matter of using them for this as well).

PS: I don't think that masking the package to force a 'downgrade' to the previous artwork version (to which apparently there were fewer complaints) is a viable long-term solution... I am usually a big fan of Ian's work, so I would like to keep being up-to-date, but I guess that the latest change was a bit too drastic.
Catalin Pol
Linux user since 2004; Sabayon user since 2006
thecata
Simple Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions