Boot wallpaper

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Boot wallpaper

Postby alexrenzi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 13:21

Hi, since I hate the new theme's wallpaper (artwork-12 to be clear), after upgrading I immediately changed all splash screens in order to be uniform with my desktop's background, grub, /etc/splash, lightdm, etc...
But during the boot, immediately after grub and before the loading bar, there is a moment in which the standard wallpaper is displayed and I can't find where to modify it, does someone know how to change it?
alexrenzi
Young Hen

Re: Boot wallpaper

Postby life-on-mars » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:16

How do you usually change it?

Did you have a look at splash_manager?
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby alexrenzi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 13:26

Usually I don't change it :) it's the first time I do such a modification.

As I understand I should do something like this:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... n_Sabayon4

But since this is a dirty trick, as reported at the end of the page, I'm wondering what is the "clean system administration" way to do this.
alexrenzi
Young Hen

Postby svantoviit » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:07

Why don't you just install the 11 artwork from portage and mask it in entropy? Would be the cleanest solution.
Code: Select all
# equo mask -a $(equo q installed -q sabayon-artwork)
# emerge -a --nodeps =x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-{core-11-r4,extra-11,gnome-11-r2,grub-11,kde-11,loo-11,lxde-11-r1}

If you want to mask the complete artwork run:
# equo mask -a $(equo s -q sabayon-artwork)

Tweak the commands according your needs.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby alexrenzi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29

Because I don't want to revert the old theme, I want to make my own one based on my current desktop wallpaper.
alexrenzi
Young Hen

Postby albfneto » Tue Aug 06, 2013 22:33

for make your own... make it ans save in in PNG format, example :

myscreen.png

then copy it to the directory /boot/grub and rename the original to protect it and rename your new screen in an adequate manner to work. The command will clear for you:

cd /
cd dir in wich the file "myscreen.png" is saved
cp myscreen.png /boot/grub/myscreen.png
cd /
cd boot/grub
mv default-splash.png default-splash.png.copy
mv myscreen.png default-splash.png

then reboot the comp.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby alexrenzi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55

As written in the first post I've already changed the grub background, the only missing thing is the initramfs immediately after grub.
If I well understood it is necessary because in the early stage of the boot the disk filesystem is not available so the image has to be packed in /boot/initramfs-genkernel-version-sabayon, one way to do this should be the one reported in the wiki (but it's an old page and I don't know if something changed).
I also found another way using this:
splash_geninitramfs --verbose --res 1024x768 --generate /boot/initramfs-bootsplash sabayon

But since I don't really know what I'm doing, before breaking my system replacing the initramfs file in /boot/, I would like to know if someone already did this and maybe found a better way.

Is it possible to change temporarily the grub configuration in order to make it load the generated initramfs file only during the current boot?
alexrenzi
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 16:59

Yes it is.

When you boot and the grub menu comes up (normally counting down from 3), you can hit an arrow key to manually select a kernel to boot.

Go the kernel line you wish you boot to than hit 'e', which will allow you to edit the line. Then hit enter and hit 'b' to boot it.

I'm using my memory, so I could be off on some of it, but there should be lines in grub near the bottom of your screen that tells you exactly what I did anyway.

Edit: I just looked it up and read that 'ctrl' + 'x' (from edit mode) = boot the selected entry. So after editing a line, hit 'ctrl'+'x' instead of enter then 'b'.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions