Add install options to Anaconda-for the devs!! :-)

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

these actually might be usefull!!

yes
94%
no
6%

Total votes : 35

Add install options to Anaconda-for the devs!! :-)

Postby terlmann » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:10

ok,just bear with me.
We know that make.conf IS capable of additional modifications beyond simple architectures(i386,:arrow: i586,etc) all the way to specifying the cpu model.
In addition,cpuinfo usually can give pretty decent info about the model.
If anaconda was to query cpuinfo and attempt to specify some advanced optimizations for portage during the installation based on info gleaned from cpuinfo,this "might" make installations faster and smaller,and give users new to gentoo some headway that normally only experienced users have discovered in portage.
""Technically GCC could run without any CFLAGS, since they are extra options, but the whole premise behind Gentoo is to custom compile packages for your particular system, which almost always gives you somewhat improved speed.""
the gentoo wiki http://gentoo-wiki.com/Cflags#Selecting_the_best_CFLAGS_for_your_system gives a verbose description of good cflags for many cpu models.it could be used as the template to set the options discussed in this thread.

You could also place a dialog on the same page for experts to specify their own make variables to use,with a help file containing info from the gentoo wiki nearby for reference.:P

Of particular importance: You need to make location choices apply to the gentoo sync mirrors,etc i am in the us i should be using the .northamerica. gentoo server to rsync,but by default sabayon sets all systems to sync with the worldwide gentoo server.
Your Humble Chicken Dog,Terlmann.
And please,dont argue with me saying that I could set these myself,I have!
I want to make this easy for others and myself in the future
terlmann
Growing Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13

We need to do this :).
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Yes! I finally did something usefull!!

Postby terlmann » Tue Jan 02, 2007 15:57

well, looks like 5 votes,I need a lot more unless lxnay or Cvill64 gives it a thumbs-up.
signature banned. User banned by the Sabayon Linux Forum Staff.
terlmann
Growing Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:13

it sounds not so useful to me... there's no real immediate advantage
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby terlmann » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:50

lxnay wrote:it sounds not so useful to me... there's no real immediate advantage

immediate advantages are seldom great.
but the real advantage here is the fact we wont need a bin-host!
that's right ,when compiling files against the make.conf currently employed that
simply makes it a I586 program,I often encountered issues where it would either take forever to
compile a program ; or,as in the case of wine ; take 4 hours and not complete due to running out
of memory( i have only a sempteron 1.8 ghz and 256 mb ram).
but when I added to the cflags list the option to make the programs athlon + -fram-fomit-pointer
It did not take anywere near as long to compile ;and I managed to get wine to go throgh ;-)
signature banned. User banned by the Sabayon Linux Forum Staff.
terlmann
Growing Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:55

It isn't that useful for devs, but as a general improvement on the application of Anaconda in installing Gentoo
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby Goatee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:26

Lxnay, would you be happier if someone else hacked it in?
Goatee
Sharecropper

... why does that replace a binhost?

Postby whilo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 15:19

but the real advantage here is the fact we wont need a bin-host!

I don't get that. Why does this mean we don't need a binhost?

Cheers,
whilo
whilo
Simple Hen

Postby Goatee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:14

With the right cflags, stuff builds faster
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby mbello » Thu Jan 04, 2007 18:29

The decision to implement this feature (and many others alike) or not should depends on what kind of users Sabayon is targeting.

I have read somewhere that Sabayon is targeted more at the beginner. Yes, great, but what kind of beginner? Really, I can quickly think of 4 different kinds of beginners:

#1. Non-tech people (forcedly) using Linux as a Windows replacement (probably installed by someone else trying to spread the word);
#1s do not need this feature. Actually binary makes much more sense.

#2. People that do not intent to leave Windows but willing to play with Linux to see what it is all about. They are usually tech-savvy people with little or no computer background that lack the knowledge, time and aspiration to ever become a advanced Linux user. I know many of them and they really like LiveCDs!
#2s already think they are getting this feature right. After all they are running a Gentoo-based distro, aren't they? As long as you don't ask them what CFLAGS they want during installation (they might panic) it is fine! But it doesn't really matter.

#3. Veterans with beginner-like requisites (me): "yeah, I know all that stuff but please don't make me deal with it again just make it work for me... university days are gone, i don't have time to spend managing my PC box anymore". Many of them are actually required to run Windows at work.
#3s are well aware of what Gentoo is and if they choose it, they want the full-blown system. Yes, Gentoo is a lot about CFLAGS so give them the right ones.

#4. Beginners aspiring to become a hacker one day (we were all beginners before).
#4s don't care, they might even like a Gentoo-based system with no CFLAGS set so they can hack it themselves. If you set CFLAGS for them they will hack it anyway.

As I am #3 I voted yes!

Disclaimer: I am very new to Sabayon
mbello
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions