Clear Link for Daily ISO Request

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Clear Link for Daily ISO Request

Postby Butch Cassidy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03

Your English and English comprehension are fine, Provia. You understood exactly what is being said and the point of view expressed. There's a difference between reading and writing any language and fully understanding it. English is one of the worst (or best, depending on pov) for being subtly nuanced and 'getting it'.

Anyway, that's my suggestion for the new surroundings "Artwork and Development Suggestions"
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Provia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02

Filed a report on Sabayon Bugzilla

http://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4034
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08

I was going to get round to re-navigating "bugzilla" (navigating that place is bad enough as it is for reporting real bugs) this weekend but looks like you saved me a job. So thanks.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 17:30

Hm, maybe "Bugs" could simply replaced with "Give feedback" or so.
Or a forum plugin for this feature.
Just some ideas.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 19:33

Yep. Good idea. There's no reason you couldn't just extend this forum section description to something like: Discuss all artwork, development and website related - Suggestions needed and then people can discuss any useful ideas.

It's not like there will be a large volume of website related ideas brought up. It would be easy enough for relevant website admin to keep an eye on and implement an idea without anyone submitting anything to bugzilla.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:09

This section already includes website related suggestions, Sabayon doesn't consider the website as a separate project, Sabayon is both the project and its official web infrastructure. Thus bugzilla is both for bugs in the OS and in the website (as well as feature enhancements for both the OS and the website), just like this forum section is intended both for the OS and the website.

A bugzilla has features to track bugs, receive notifications and a lot of other facilities that make it ideal for a developer, whereas a forum has not such features. The user must use the bugzilla whenever a feature is requested and the developers work to achieve it. The forum might be used to discuss the feature with the community (and eventually with developers if they happen to see the topic), to collect ideas and feedback before submitting the actual bug report.

We may discuss on how to make the life easier for a user to find links and the right places to ask for a feature to be added, on improving descriptions, website readability and navigation, but avoiding bugzilla is just wrong, it would duplicate places and work, making everything more confused for both developers and users.
I think avoiding redundancy should be a priority.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:28

I get the logic of that, micia. But don't forget to tell people about it. If I look down the forum index list and look for descriptions and see: Discuss all artwork, development - Suggestions needed - all that means to most people is literally 'artwork' (self explanatory) and 'development' which to most people means 'OS programming' and "heavy stuff" , whereas if you add further descriptions (like "website related stuff") you are telling people exactly what goes where. And plus that way, people have no grounds to moan about knowing where to put stuff.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:51

That, of course, can be done, and that's why this topic exists. :)
Documenting how feature requests and issues should be reported, while improving the website navigation wherever needed, would be the best solution in my opinion.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:20

micia wrote:We may discuss on how to make the life easier for a user to find links and the right places to ask for a feature to be added, on improving descriptions, website readability and navigation, but avoiding bugzilla is just wrong, it would duplicate places and work, making everything more confused for both developers and users.
I think avoiding redundancy should be a priority.

I did not asked for getting rid of bugzilla, but renaming the link texts. (See the headlines on the framework above).
Is there a specific git repostitory for contributing to the forum's development? Git is unclear at this point. A shot in the dark would be the drupal tree.
I can imagine, that git is more for developers, but the descriptions are too confusing to me …
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby micia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:49

Ryuno-Ki, my reply wasn't directed to you, but rather to Butch Cassidy's comment:
Butch Cassidy wrote:It's not like there will be a large volume of website related ideas brought up. It would be easy enough for relevant website admin to keep an eye on and implement an idea without anyone submitting anything to bugzilla.
micia
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions