I share my thoughts about improving Sabayon's web presence every now and then: plenty of them, so we need to filter for certain criteria.
Since I consider as less as possible dependencies as desirable I've looked for integrated services.
- We have Bugzilla, which is written in Perl.
- We use Transifex, which is written in Python.
- Our Git-Repository is written in C.
- Our main page uses Drupal.
What features should be implented?
Well, I would like to see some of those:
- Sophisticated permission management system
- Content separated from layout, so the user can apply their own stylesheets
- Same programming language like used for writing the forum (at the moment, PHP)
- Defining tags (-> use CSS generated content for styling them)
- Full text search with filters for e.g. the language (sorry, but I don't understand Polish, or Romanian or …
- RESTful, so proper APIs can be defined
- Statistics (to analyse traffic, user activity etc.
- Spam prevention. At the moment we use manually activated user profiles and a RegEx filter for badwords
- The ability to define another header then the URL. E.g. URL with En:Topic and the header with Topic (so language shorthand as part of the URL (RESTful!) and the header in the mother tongue).
- Human readable ("speaking") URLs. This is meant in the sense of SEO. Just have a look at the forum's URLs and you know, what I mean
@TheV00d00: Where can I contribute patches? Would it be possible to create a playground for the development, too?
We could use http://www.sabayon.org/wiki for staging the results, once they're presentable enough If everything is fine a redirection can be used.
My fingers itch. Gimme something to work on
I know, it's a huge project, but every way starts with a first step