When Ubuntu Softare Center alike would be in Sabayon?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

mitcoes
Young Hen

When Ubuntu Softare Center alike would be in Sabayon?

Post by mitcoes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21

I've read that Linux distros agreed in develop an installation program, based in Ubuntu Software Center.
I'm a big fan of Sabayon, but I try to show newbies USC as an easy tool to install whatever you need, easier than MS WOS or OSX. It was good news this "Universal adoption" bacause I would be able to recommend Sabayon to newbies, but It was months ago and i have not seen even any beta yet.

Please if I'm wrong and there are a package to install a USC alike program at Sabayon that of course would install sources packages or precompiled ones - not ubuntu debs - make me know.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: When Ubuntu Softare Center alike would be in Sabayon?

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 13:48

I think you must be thinking of the multi-distribution PackageKit (see Who ships PackageKit?). You can try it out with SL -- click on the following link for details: Sabayon – PackageKit, the Other GUI.

Also, have you tried Entropy Store, which is another GUI method of installing packages in SL?

mitcoes
Young Hen

Post by mitcoes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 18:03

Thanks I have tried entropy and is a great tool, better than synaptic, but is not as easy to show as USC, or what you have just purpose me Package kit,

If it is not to ask a lot ...

Do you know if I keep my ubuntu home, and put the same user and password installing sabayon it would keep my config files - I supose so - and an easy way of making a packages list to easily install / uninstall the same programs with console orders or any GUI?.

It would be a great idea an easy way to migrate from one distro to other keeping the same programs and configs you use to have.

If not I would try with what I know, making the list and doing it manually, this Package kit program have convinced me to migrate to Sabayon as main used linux distro for my desktop instead of Ubuntu because it is faster and is rolling release and of course fast to instal precompiled packages with the oportunity to compile them from sources for my system.

And I would like to suggest to put Package kit as a default program at Sabayon distro - of course with Entropy store too - for making it more atractive for newbis.

Thanks in advance.

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:06

mitcoes I understand you, but you can't go with two ways parallel. Or you develop Packagekit or Entropy. Packagekit its developed separately by external ppl. Entropy is developed by ppl from Sabayon world, specific to this distribution.
Yes, I see possibility to use maybe only packagekit, but addict only to external program is risky.
It's natural to develope internal package program.
So I understand, why developers allow you to use packagekit in Sabayon, but I understand too, why main package program is Entropy.
In my opinion better way is to further develope Entropy, make this program simply, elastic and fast. Create sorting by programs categories like Music, Video, Games, etc.
Last edited by raman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:06

I'm moving this thread to the 'Artwork and Development Suggestions' shed (forum) as it's more appropriate there than in the Portage|Emerge Package Managers shed. (The 'Sabayon Linux General Discussion' shed would have been another possible home, but as the OP is making suggestions for changes to the distribution, I'll plump for this shed.)

mitcoes
Young Hen

Post by mitcoes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:08

Sorry if there where a missunderstanding.

What i do suggest is to PUT the two "installers" as ubuntu does with synaptic and USC, and of course package kit developed by others and the excellent Entropy by Sabayon being the main program.

i do like even more to use the console than the GUI, but I like to spread the Linux community between friends and PK is more easy to understand for beginners.

That is why I would like that Package Kit where a default program at every distro with of course for more advanced users its own package manager, and its console ordesrs i do use to install programas normally.

The second question easy migration from distro to distro keeping the program list and configurations.

it is easy to do by hand, but it would be faster if there where any "automatic" way of making the program list and install / uninstall from that program list.

Perhaps as an option installing the distros - changing distro and keeping your favorite packages.

Of course it minds to format /, in my case /boot and /, keep /home - if you have it separated as I do, and copy the list of programs to a packages.list - if it is in a similar package form for example from ubuntu to debian or mint "sources.list" in order to keep PPAs.

I will start tomorrow to make this "backup of program list and PPAs, and format / install my / and my /boot partition keeping home, and the user with the same password. it will take me a time, but not more than 1 hour to put all as i have in Ubuntu now more or less.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 15:49

Anyway, mitcoes, welcome to SL. I'm sure you'll find it interesting. Being based on Gentoo (source package management) yet also having its very own binary package manager (Entropy), SL is a great distribution. The development team is small but very dedicated and super-efficient. I've been using SL since February/March 2007 and have no intention of changing.