Suggestion

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

raman
Advanced Hen

Suggestion

Post by raman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 18:18

Could you plz split this posts and select in proper group base on DE? Like KDE, LXDE, Gnome etc.
It will be easier to find some posts and put posts in proper group.
I've installed XFCE and I courious about posts about this DE, but I must filter it and searching now.

I'm a impressed about XFCE, it's fresh, but very interested DE.

micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Suggestion

Post by micia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 19:16

I doubt that there would be enough posts for E17 or LXDE, so probably it would not be a good idea, I'd rather suggest to have a better search function in order to filter results in a better way. Maybe just having it more user friendly, but I don't know if it would be possible.

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 19:32

I'm forum administrator and I know one, if you sooner and more considered way create topics on forum, then better.
Better to have a little to much topics with only 2 posts, than searching this 2 posts between others :)

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Post by sqlpython » Wed Apr 13, 2011 16:05

I also have acted as Moderator and Team Member on several Distro Forums. So, I speak from practical experience when I say...............
In Theory you are correct.
However the Human Nature of the User will not allow the Theory to work, Without frequent intervention by Team members.
Here is why by example..
Recently, a User posted a query titling it Best Distro Ever ...The query that evolved was about Flash crashing in Full Screen mode and the solution to fix..
Based on Category that should Not by title end up in GENERAL... but really belongs in MultiMedia
So when categorized by the USER another user looks for the Flash Solution to his/her problem in Multimedia and misses it entirely.
Solutions for a Forum without a large Staff.
1.. Intelligent Filtered searches of the the Entire Board... (Best and Easiest 1st Choice)
2.. Moderators Move around posts and inform all involved in the Thread.
3.. Change Title and Inform all involved..
4.. Look through Google and hope something turns up..

While the Theory of fine Grandular Board Categorization is a proper solution in the World of Real Users it is not reasonable unless you have the Moderator help to enforce the improperly placed Posts..
You can see that on this forum and others by checking the Member list that just killing Spam and Bots is a Full time job. The Member list is full of them.

If everyone thought as clearly as you there probably would not be posting issues..but people will be people.
Last edited by sqlpython on Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge

Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Post by Thev00d00 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 18:21

What sqlpython said :D
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 18:49

Yea, without good moderators, any good forum structure don't stay clear to long :)

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Post by sqlpython » Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:17

Yea, without good moderators, any good forum structure don't stay clear to long
That is true BUT.................
My point was precisely to Not Enough Volunteers..
Being that it is difficult to get the number of Moderators needed. Not necessarily a shortage of Good Moderators.
You can visit any number of large Trafficked Linux sites.. Debian, SuSe, Fedora, Ubuntu and continually find posts mis categorized. So, this anomaly is not unique to any particular forum.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:54

Yes I know... I understand you completely. My point is, that creating goos tree categories could help, not resolve the problem it's impossible by human nature, but a little help to organize Desktop Enviroment threads.
Ok, I wrote my opinion, thats enough about above thread :)