binary repository

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cvill64 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:05

that would be very hard even for us me thinks, as one of the ways we get the mini is due to recompiling all the packages for less dependencies, etc etc.

Also, you'd be suprised at how much people want and yet are willing to give very little, as we have no sponsers, again, the cost benifits are absolutely nil to us and would be hard to justify our man ours towards that. But yes, binaries are nice, but kinda against the whole source based ideal, which is what gentoo is and we follow

anyways, I'll do some more research into it. If you can, get people that would actually like this feature (which would be hard since they usually migrated towards FC and ubuntu and their derivatives) to post about it, so far, I've seen only you for it (which isn't wrong or anything, just a small percentage of the user base)

but like I said, I'll look into it more....we'll see
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Great!

Postby whilo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 14:47

That is great!

I think many people, who switch back to fedora/... , would keep Sabayon without the necessity of compiling. I will think about it, too.

If anybody has any ideas about this or can support a binhost, PLEASE POST HERE :wink:

I will post some proposals the next days...

Cheers,
whilo
whilo
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 22:12

lol, I know how and could do it, just the time and cost would be emmense, if somebody can front the cost of the bandwidth, I could do it with the help of a few people
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby random guy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 17:38

maybe we can talk to the gentoo corp about this. they will probably be willing to give bandwidth for something that will be benfieting them a lot. just a few people here and a some people from other gentoo based distros/ gentoo itself come together and build some binaries.

by the way just got the idea maybe if it was community based it would take less work and be really up to date. ie. anyone can upload any binary packages they want to the server along with their computer arch. that way people who already did a compile can share their work with others. only downsides of this is 1) harder to give support to people if something doesnt work and 2) some people will be idots and want to put spyware...
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 18:03

well, I would only support something that we made, we've been approached by the gentoo PR peeps about it a bit but nothing from the council so I have no plans as of now to solicit them for bandwidth, but again, I'm still thinking about it some more and it would be awesome to offer them, trying to think about some automation scripts too
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby random guy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 18:59

you never cease to amaze me.
random guy
Advanced Hen

I can mirror and attempt binhost

Postby cu8164kp » Thu Nov 30, 2006 15:58

I've been wanting to see a binhost for quite awhile. I'm not the master at all things portage, but I'd love to see a binhost that keeps with the default make.conf. I want to help mirror Sabayon iso's anyways, and if anybody wants to try and do a binhost I'd love to try that. I think i'd only have enough capacity for a smaller group though, but I'd be happy to max it out for a good cause.

My thought process behind the whole thing is I like to have options. Personally I like to compile PHP, MySQL, Apache, Asterisk, and the other development apps I need. But man I hate to compile KDE, Mozilla stuff, or any of desktop stuff. KDE, and all the other default desktop apps is what I think would be perfect in a binhost. I think it would be hard to do everything, but we could try to keep up with the default set of packages Sabayon uses.
cu8164kp
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 16:42

the whole thing about a binhost is that its made available to the users. They would HAVE to append the -k or -K flag to their emerge to use the binaries and not compile from source.

For a binhost, we'd have to see no less than 10 mbs unmetered bandwidth, which is a bit to ask, and plus I'm still in the planning phase and I need to do some perl work before the mid of dec.
cvill64
Sagely Hen

My blog entry

Postby whilo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:17

I've collected some of my thoughts on my blog. :D
The page is:

http://whiletaker.homeip.net/wordpress/?p=28

Maybe someone can help me with the trackerless BitTorrent idea.:wink:

Cheers,
whilo
whilo
Simple Hen

Postby evm » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:31

Like wolfden said, "don't like compiling, don't use Gentoo, it's that simple."

As soon as you add binary host, then Gentoo becomes like all the other distro's. If you want to use binary then use SuSe or Debian. It's that simple.
evm
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions