[Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 13:56

albfneto wrote:i again suggest mercury, for the entropy tree.
Mercury is a beautiful and good IM client, Java dependent.
also for entropy, i suggest the inclusion of some modified firefoxes, as swiftweasel and swiftfox.
These packages, exists in general for other distros, and may be "compiled" in Sabayon, but adapted, since the code is for Debian and RPM distros... but works.... versions for entropy, gentoo compatible may be useful...
Mercury, the Slackware version works in Sabayon, but versions special for Sabayon, in entropy or in the Overlay are interesting, also because are gentoo compatible..

Bug report is needed: New Entropy Package Request
for the Sabayon five, i suggest add by default: Both CD-DVD burners, K3B and Brasero, respective in KDE and GNOME editions. is important

Already Done
Amarok was mistaken in some Sabayon versions, is also important

It wasnt stable enough, will be included in 5 im sure.
Also i suggest default installation of ALL the mainly IM clients...Pidgin, Kopete, aMSN and the new Emesene-Crazy
for the entropy tree, the new Cairo-Dock2 and the new Kmess2, that in this new versions support webcam use

Pidgin.... Check
Kopete... Check
aMSN... Check (sucks though)
Emesene-Crazy....No longer exists its been merged into mainline,
http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=overlay.gi ... ld;hb=HEAD
... Check
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby genfool » Fri Jul 31, 2009 22:50

Seems songbird is not included on 5 was told to open a package request for it.....thought I would add it here first.
I have been using songbird for awhile and have no issue with it.
Only asking that it gets added to entropy.
genfool
Technological Hen

Install and forget!

Postby cloo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 14:23

I know this is way too ambitios for Sabayon 5, But I`m sure that it is absolutely necessary.

Because reinstalling is time wasting. Reinstalling for parents and girlfriends is pain. Taking care of system numbers is boring and unnecessary.

Sabayon should update itself seemlessly.

Maybe download the new version or it`s parts (like warrawarra suggested) when connection is idle and after it`s ready, only ask if the user wants to update and benefit listed features.

Maybe then install itself to a new partition, copy all the doc`s, software and settings, make the next boot from there and remove the old system. Just improvising - I`m not a pro here.

I think this is the feature where linux in general can (must) overtake commercial systems, but somehow it doesn`t. And this is where linux can be left behind by web os`es.
cloo
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Wed Aug 12, 2009 16:27

genfool wrote:Seems songbird is not included on 5 was told to open a package request for it.....thought I would add it here first.
I have been using songbird for awhile and have no issue with it.
Only asking that it gets added to entropy.

Songbird packs its own version of xulrunner and gstreamer and thats against the Gentoo way of doing things.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/139019
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Kollin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:28

WarraWarra wrote:... "mc" please add midnight commander as it is not really needed but nice on working system but with 4.1 / problems, mc is worth it's weight in gold.

++++++++ give us mc back please :roll:
Kollin
Baby Hen

Postby thenthenio » Sun Sep 13, 2009 22:56

I wouls like cairo-dock included in Entropy.
Far far more beautiful than any other dock!
I'm now using 2.0.8 emerged from Portage and it's running quite well!

Lova Sabayon!
Many thanks!
Mauro
thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Postby DanySK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:58

It would be pretty to have also VMWare (at least the player). Also the auto-configured UXA acceleration for Intel video cards (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GM ... .6_and_UXA): setting it up manually every time is pretty boring.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby Underlost » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:34

i was bored last weekend and i updated sabayon to branch 5 (for testing purposes)

is AWESOME. you are doing a great job with branch 5 !!

i tested Kernel mode setting (i915.modeset=1 on boot) and it is great, my laptop its even faster (and STABLE !!! ) now

but there's a little problem

it seems that splashutils(fbsplash) is incompatible with KMS

when i boot up everything is fine, but when i'm on kdm and change to any VT i get no decoration, or a corrupted one ( decoration with no text in it)

even worse, when i try to suspend to ram, it doesn't.

if i check var/log/messages, it says:
Code: Select all
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402158] R     pm-suspend 15370    608929.736836       126   120    608929.736836     20057.504046      2485.125644
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402166]                                                                                                           
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402187]  fbsplashd.stati (4717) failed to freeze.                                                                 
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402239]                                                                                                           
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402241] Restarting all filesystems ...                                                                           
Sep 25 23:09:39 sabayon [ 8338.402244] Restarting tasks ... Restarting tasks ... done.

when i boot up without i915.modeset=1, there is no problems with splashutils and i can suspend to ram normally.

i did some research on google but i didn't find anything.

Anyway, Sabayon 5 it's gonna be GREAT.

The artwork is beautiful as always.

Ciao!
Underlost
Baby Hen

Postby bashFish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 21:49

Something like (Fedora) yum's presto plugin for equo (reducing needed transfer-size due to sending delta-difference-packages) would be great achievement!
see more: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePresto

I also like gui's to select packages i want to be installed (running livecd-installation process)
bashFish
Baby Hen

Postby DanySK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 22:01

It would be very cool... I'm thinking of reporting it as an Entropy improvement in bugzilla :mrgreen:
DanySK
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions