Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: [Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Postby hatalar205 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 16:12

Not mentioned, probably impossible.
Most of the Linux users have more than one distro in their machines. So, there may be a way to change the distro you use without rebooting. I mean an Upper Linux Computer Adminisrator System.
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 16, 2009 18:51

Will have to think of compensating for upstream problems / bad drivers for the basics like networking ie: add ndiswrapper openresolv etc or alternative to get networking up even if good / bad drivers are there, once someone can get online they can fix most things / up / down grade problem software, "mc" please add midnight commander as it is not really needed but nice on working system but with 4.1 / problems, mc is worth it's weight in gold.

For the dvd version this is not a big deal to add upto 30mb but could cause issues for space limited 700mb cd version.

Can even include both old working tested 3.5pod drivers for networking + new beta possibly unstable drivers / software like what is in 4.1, then the user can choose / test and get more feedback / easy fix to get back online if there is a problem.

PS> playground, give me a shout on that as I will be able to get serious from this weekend on / methods etc, many hand = easier job.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby R3MF » Fri Jun 19, 2009 15:52

i'd like to stress the KDE3-free nature of Sabayon 5.0 as a plus point.

by which i mean that all major apps and KDE system tools should be KDE4, with KDE3 limited to libs and any essential apps that don't have a KDE4 equivalent yet.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 20:46

R3MF wrote:i'd like to stress the KDE3-free nature of Sabayon 5.0 as a plus point.

by which i mean that all major apps and KDE system tools should be KDE4, with KDE3 limited to libs and any essential apps that don't have a KDE4 equivalent yet.

The 5.0 is being rebuilt from scratch with no qt3 at all. zilch, Qt4 only.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby peterbf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 16:54

Hello/Ciao all! :)

I wish that when Sabayon installs it would by default format a separate /home partition and automatically import (copy) all personal files and their folders into it. Also, it would be great if the installer could offer people the convenient option to somehow preserve Firefox bookmarks and Thunderbird's email addresses and inbox/sent/draft-folder contents (or the same for or any other commonly used Linux mail and browser programs).

With such helpful installation-procedures, Sabayon would - I believe - rapidly gain an even better reputation.

I believe that every new version of Ubuntu already preserve the /home directory of the existing Ubuntu installation. And I believe other Linux do the same thing.

I might be wrong but I doubt it would be too difficult for the Linux-programing geniuses behind Sabayon to find a way to make these suggestions a practical/user-friendly reality.
peterbf
Baby Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:27

A seperate home partition is doable i guess. We are still defaulting to lvm however, which i want to see changed too. Its more hassel than its worth 90% of the time
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby phyll1s » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33

Thev00d00 wrote:A seperate home partition is doable ... which i want to see changed too. Its more hassel than its worth 90% of the time

AGREED. An LVM is nice, but it seems unneeded. A separate partition seems more organized and just /feels/ better...

I might be wrong on this, but it seems like it would be MUCH easier with a separate home partition to reformat or install other versions/distros.
phyll1s
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Jul 08, 2009 22:20

equo world --replay

Might want to add a method to create packages from "hd installed packages" so that you do not have to download 1355 packages you already have when using --replay after gcc or kernel or python updates.
No need to re-download the packages that is the livedvd you already have installed and just need to rebuild.

Something like this below just moded that can then check the new files md5 versus online repository md5 = less bandwidth used / 1gb saved in downloads.

"quickpkg installed world" for world rebuild.

cd /var/db/pkg/; for i in */*; do echo $i; done | while read package; do quickpkg --include-config=y =$package; done
or
cd /var/db/pkg/; for i in */*; do quickpkg --include-config=y =$i; done

Also a method to auto add highest installed package to equo database / usable list to prevent downgrading from say gcc-4.4.0 back to 4.3.3.-r2.

What is installed = add to list then downgrade only on request / use highest installed as default.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 15:16

WarraWarra wrote:equo world --replay

Might want to add a method to create packages from "hd installed packages" so that you do not have to download 1355 packages you already have when using --replay after gcc or kernel or python updates.
No need to re-download the packages that is the livedvd you already have installed and just need to rebuild.

Something like this below just moded that can then check the new files md5 versus online repository md5 = less bandwidth used / 1gb saved in downloads.

"quickpkg installed world" for world rebuild.

cd /var/db/pkg/; for i in */*; do echo $i; done | while read package; do quickpkg --include-config=y =$package; done
or
cd /var/db/pkg/; for i in */*; do quickpkg --include-config=y =$i; done

Also a method to auto add highest installed package to equo database / usable list to prevent downgrading from say gcc-4.4.0 back to 4.3.3.-r2.

What is installed = add to list then downgrade only on request / use highest installed as default.

You can already do this, its called a private community repo
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions