What is the most annoying bug in Sabayon?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Re: What is the most annoying bug in Sabayon?

Post by albfneto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 18:47

Naturally , the annoying bugs changes time to time with the versions....
the LXDE and XFCE bugs, now no more exists;;;;
Acctually, the most annoying bug, for me is the Bug in the KDE 4, that make it reject the audio board and chaged automatically to alsa audio...
is abu of KDE because occur with me in Sabayon, Mandriva and Gentoo, na i see in the Net in Brazilian sites that is also observed in Ubuntu, fedora and OpenSUSE. Therefore, KDE 4.2.3 and 4.2.2 bugged
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Tue Jul 07, 2009 14:16

The most annoying in the most recent versions, is the not correct detection of sound system.
many of the other bugs, were now solved.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Re: Good day!

Post by ReemZ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 18:58

fghi117 wrote:Christian Louboutin
replica watches
replica cartier watches
cheap watches
Breitling Replica
Posting this shit in this particular thread, of all threads, is just...brilliant! :mrgreen:
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: Good day!

Post by dunsurfin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:08

ReemZ wrote: Posting this shit in this particular thread, of all threads, is just...brilliant! :mrgreen:
Absolutely! I actually did laugh out loud. :lol:
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!

Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Post by Thev00d00 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:49

The most annoying bug is definitely cheap replica watches!

User deleted/ip banned :evil:
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me

dkasak
Baby Hen

Post by dkasak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01

Oh wow. That's easy. Incompatibility with portage is by far the most annoying bug for me. In fact I stopped using entropy shortly after installing 3.5, and went back to portage completely. The current advise seems to be ... you can use portage to install occasional bits here and there, but if you do this too much, expect things to break. I can vouch for that advice. There is another note that you have to install packages one at a time with portage, because the 'gentoosync' funtionality of entropy gets confused if you install more than 1 at once.

If you're going to allow people to use portage, and if your distro is in fact built with portage, then I think you have to fully support it. Partial support, with caveats followed by "don't look at me" responses when people report problems, doesn't cut it.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:01

Ofcourse it can NEVER be compatible with portage in a full sense.

Its a binary tree. :?
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 19:10

dkasak wrote:Oh wow. That's easy. Incompatibility with portage is by far the most annoying bug for me. In fact I stopped using entropy shortly after installing 3.5, and went back to portage completely. The current advise seems to be ... you can use portage to install occasional bits here and there, but if you do this too much, expect things to break. I can vouch for that advice. There is another note that you have to install packages one at a time with portage, because the 'gentoosync' funtionality of entropy gets confused if you install more than 1 at once.

If you're going to allow people to use portage, and if your distro is in fact built with portage, then I think you have to fully support it. Partial support, with caveats followed by "don't look at me" responses when people report problems, doesn't cut it.
Entropy is binary, the packages are compiled from source found in Portage, so it might just lag a bit.
Entropy is of course fully supported here, Portage is not Sabayon-specific, it's Gentoo, that's why you might just get referred to the Gentoo handbook/community ;)
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Mon Aug 24, 2009 20:03

i have an personal opinion, but.... I dont consider entropy and portage incompatible in the las two versions of Sabayon. Sabayon not have this kind of "Bug"!
Portage is not partial, but fully supported in Sabayon. I use Gentoo also. The commands etc... are the same, even is possible to use gentoo kernel in sabayon, and even convert sabayon in gentoo, i carried out experiments is this! The Sabayon's Portage is the same, is Gentoo's Portage.
In older Sabayon, mix the installers are difficult, but it the newer versions, not.
Although mix the installers is only for users with some experience with Portage, or gentoo and gentoo like distros,
Is easy to compatibilize both the installers:

1) edit /etc/entropy/client.conf, and in the session pseudo-downgrades, set to enable, as in the example:

Code: Select all

Ignore SPM (Portage) pseudo-downgrades
# USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S THIS OPTION
# !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        SKIP IT       !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# This option permits to skip packages with Entropy revision 9999
# from being treaten as downgrades. This usually happens when
# migrating from Portage to Entropy
# Valid parameters: disable, enable, true, false, disabled, enabled
# Default parameter if unset: disable
ignore-spm-downgrades|enable
2) Then, update Portage tree and Entropy tree, and syncronize both. For this, carry the commands:

Code: Select all

su
emerge --sync
emerge -av portage
layman -d sabayon
layman -a sabayon
layman -S
equo update
equo install equo entropy sulfur magneto
equo database gentoosync
3) And now you can use the two installers. Only use Portage to install Entropy (emerge entropy) in special cases for solve eventual breakage. regularly, update entropy with entropy itself (equo command).
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]

Marius
Simple Hen

Post by Marius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:28

albfneto wrote:The most annoying in the most recent versions, is the not correct detection of sound system.
many of the other bugs, were now solved.
I think you are right.

Two weeks ago I burned both Gnome & KDE Sabayon 5.o Live CDs and tried both on a couple of different architectures, e.g., on a 2-year old Compaq Presario F730US and an HP xw9000 that 4 years ago used to be a flagship of Hewlett-Packard workstations. On all tested machines both versions of the Live CD failed miserably regarding the sound. Not only wrong sound modules were selected, but also alsaconf/alsamixer had to be tweaked to finally get sound. An on the KDE CD I never was able to make xbmc produce any sound --- a total let down, since for some reason xmbc is the only linux player I know which with lossless codecs produces the playback quality comparable to players using native (and thus proprietary) Windows drivers! That's one reason I opted to install Gnome over KDE even though I was inclined more towards KDE this time around.

I consider this blemish to be the most off-putting feature of Sabayon for a not terribly tech-savvy person (which still includes 99.9% of general populace) having their first encounter with Sabayon. And it doesn't square very well with the avowed OOTB policy (to have Sabayon work out of the box).