Powered by... (laptop label / case badge) [Solved]

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Powered by...

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:51

The stickers only come if you subscribe. Unfortunately if you buy it at the newsstand/newsagent you don't get them. Still, if you want a LiveDVD of the 3.5 Pod Edition you get that (plus another six distros on the DVD, including Gentoo 2008.0). The review in the magazine gives SL Pod LiveCD a 7/10 score, which is not bad, but the Ubuntu Hardy Heron LiveDVD gets an 8/10 as it worked better for the reviewer.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxpusher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:20

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this conversation and just wanted to add my thoughts :)

I run linuxpusher.dk (which is actually now is also .com etc. :) and if you guys come up with a design of a portable sticker you like - I'll gladly get it produced. I get "my own" stickers at a fair price - if I "only" buy 300pcs. :)

if you would link to the stickers as well (meaning that I'd actually get a chance to unhand my 300 stickers - that would be dandy :)
linuxpusher
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 16:28

linuxpusher, that's a great offer and I'd certainly be interested. Trouble is, my graphics skills are limited. I've cooked up a to-scale laptop sticker using Visio under Windows (Linux's Dia and Kivio are good, but still not as good as Visio) which I think looks nice but the hen's foot font does not show correctly when I save it as a jpeg or gif file. When I get the chance I'll have another go using a Linux application.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:34

OK, here's the laptop label design I produced. I've used a font size that should be clearly readable when the image is scaled down to 2.5 cm high x 1.8 cm wide if the image is a vector graphic image. However the jpeg below is a raster graphic image and presumably will not scale down well for printing, so we need someone who is good at graphic design and who can use a vector graphic application (Inkscape?) to produce a scalable vector graphic version that looks sharp at 2.5 cm high x 1.8 cm wide. Any takers? Jayrome? Anyone else?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Darksurf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:31

That is pretty Freaking Cool! I'd have to say though, instead of the light blue, put chrome there instead, like the rest of the stickers that go on your box. That way it wouldn't look like it was added later, or look fake.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:08

Thanks, glad you like it. But I think chrome would not be possible on the usual laptop vinyl label, or would make it more expensive and more complicated to source. On my laptop the chrome-coloured label is much thicker than the other labels, I suppose because it is actually brushed aluminium, not vinyl. The Intel label on my laptop is white vinyl and looks good. I have an Ubuntu label on my other laptop and that is white vinyl too, and still looks good. The vinyl labels that come with a subscription to Linux Format magazine are also on a white background and look quite good. PC case badges for desktops and towers are available on brushed aluminium, but those badges tend to be 1" x 1" or bigger and are thicker (too big and thick for most laptops). Also, the blue is part of the official SL colour scheme, which -- for the time being (who knows what Fabio will change it to next!) -- is white, red, yellow and blue.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxpusher » Tue Oct 06, 2009 22:00

I appearently forgot to ask the forum to mail me of replies :(

I'll make sure to get some powered by stickers produced as soon as possible (it's not my day job - so it will take a couple of weeks :)
linuxpusher
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 0:14

Awesome, If we can try to use the newest logo and use the latest colors. The darker colors will look better. and instead of the "chrome" idea can we use a silver color that will just make the vinyl look kinda shiny like the stickers on laptops now a days.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29

Needs to have the new logo:

SVG: http://v00d00.net/files/img/sabayon/4/p ... n4foot.svg
PNG: http://v00d00.net/files/img/sabayon/4/p ... n4foot.png

and dark colour scheme: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/images/8/84/Kdevt7.png

And linuxpusher, I'll be in the queue to buy a few of these stickers!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 18:02

I have tried to make a mock-up of a new version of the laptop sticker, this time using the above-mentioned JPG logo currently available on the Press Information page of the Sabayon Linux site. I'm not conversant with Linux graphic tools so I've done it in Visio for Windows. For some reason the text in the image below is smaller than in the JPG image I uploaded to PhotoBucket :? . As I mentioned previously, we need an expert in a vector drawing tool to come up with a decent image. Anyone able to help?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions