Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Postby joost » Sun Nov 18, 2007 21:36

@acfreema

yeah i know how you feel. I asked the devs to have a little more attention for the default gnome layout.

:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:07

KDE 4.0?? if its stable yet :roll:
I've heard it seems to be faster than 3.5 and some other stuff...(haven't checked it out really, just heard :wink: )

--EDIT--
Btw since SL3.25 there is a little bug in /etc/X11/xorg.conf that is still there...
the problem is that my mouse is double implemented so when I scroll "at a standard installation" the input will be recognized twice so I switch from desktop 1 to 3 to 1 etc.. I editted /etc/X11/xorg.conf and commented the second inputdevice "mouse2"
Code: Select all
Section "ServerLayout"
# The Identifier line must be present

Identifier   "Main Layout"
    Screen 0    "Screen 1"
    InputDevice   "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   [b]#[/b]InputDevice   "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "Synaptics1" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom1" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom2" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom3" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

so there will be no second mouse imported...I could have deleted the whole Mouse2 earlier in xorg.conf, but I didn't want to ruin my xorg.conf to much :wink: ...

grtzz
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:46

I've always wondered why my mouse wheel did that.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby highlandernone » Tue Nov 20, 2007 23:59

pleaseeeee .... let's have some control over installations ;-)))
highlandernone
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:47

highlandernone wrote:pleaseeeee .... let's have some control over installations ;-)))

:? you do
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59

Not sure how many users can use or wants to use the server install , this below links can help and or make live easier for them via webpage admin same as with a router webpage admin. Could work for headless servers as well and might get more persons to use the server part of SL install or using similar software to do it with.

http://www.webmin.com/index.html
What is Webmin?

Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely. See the standard modules page for a list of all the functions built into Webmin, or check out the demo ( http://www.webmin.com/demo.html ) and screenshots.

For virtual hosts admin:
What is Virtualmin?

It is a Webmin module for managing multiple virtual hosts through a single interface, like Plesk or Cpanel. It supports the creation and management of Apache virtual hosts, BIND DNS domains, MySQL databases, and mailboxes and aliases with Sendmail or Postfix. It makes use of the existing Webmin modules for these servers, and so should work with any existing system configuration, rather than needing it's own mail server, web server and so on.

Virtualmin can also create a Webmin user for each virtual server, who is restricted to managing just his domain and its files. Webmin's existing module access control features are used, and are set up automatically to limit the user appropriately. These server administrators can also manage the mailboxes and mail aliases in their domain, via a web interface that is part of the module.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Ashtefere » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:16

Hey guys.
Last sabayon I used was 3.4f. It had a bunch of problems (use flags, etc) and I spent days trying to get a mates pc running wow on wine properly, to no avail... he could only get 18fps MAX with a 3ghz core 2 duo and 8800gtx. On ubuntu (we tried to eliminate problems) we got over 80fps consistently...
Anyway, I have been waiting for 3.5 to go back to sabayon. Currently I'm (most unfortunately) using windoze. Do you know what its like to loath looking at your computer every day because its stuck in 2d land?
Anyway I digress.
I would LOVE to see one of the logon sessions as KDE4, or use KDE4 as default in itself. It is really getting mature now and useable as it is. By the time you guys start wrapping up sab 3.5, KDE4 should be done.
Also, could you guys enable compiz for xfce? would love to see that.
ANNNNDDDD heres a big one...
In the desktop acceleration menu, could we PLEASE have the nvidia opengl driver aswell.
What I mean is currently we have this in the list:

No Desktop Acceleration
XGL Desktop Acceleration
AIGLX Desktkop Acceleration

Better would be:

No Desktop Acceleration
XGL Desktop Acceleration
AIGLX Desktop Acceleration
NVIDIA Desktop Acceleration <---- uses the native nvidia compiz/opengl drivers. (i believe its better for games/wine with compiz running).

Thats all I can think about now. I would really like it if you guys would consider this stuff.
-Ash
Ashtefere
Baby Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 20:42

@Ashtefere
AIGLX IS the NVIDIA desktop acceleration (for now...)
Compiz & games just don't fit well together unless you really have a Monster-PC :P

Btw... Why would you play WoW in the first place??
Games via wine and even wine itself is not something the Sabayon Crew have to care about, if you need support for wine you must go to the Wine site and ask for support there. In the AppDB you can find all programs that are tried on wine with possible solutions to let them run yourself... maybe you could have a look there, or already did :wink:
It also could be you had an older version of wine where WoW was not yet supported as far as it is now.
to update wine you can simply do "emerge wine" in a terminal, but don't forget to update portage first!

Sadly yes SL 3.4f seems a little buggy, but yet there is a thread opened with some help on how to fix the ugliest bugs in there.

I hope for you, you can get it working. Just keep trying and reporting if you find something not right.
I think everyone has to get rid of M$ so everyone can get the control back over their systems!!

Grtz Dre
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 21:09

wolfden wrote:
highlandernone wrote:pleaseeeee .... let's have some control over installations ;-)))

:? you do

Well, yes we do, but not that much that we could select a package specifically.
I also would love to see a graphical installation like it is now, but with an Expert option or something that you can select what package would be merged or wouldn't.

example: Now you can select which GUI you want, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox but it doesn't matter which one you select because the other GUI's are also installed and can be selected later at the kdm/gdm.
I would love to have an option to lets say a fluxbox install without installing kde-base and/or gnome-base, only the libraries for both would be needed because fluxbox can use their libraries and run kde or gnome based programs. (or you make it a complete mini edition like this)

At this point in SL, it can be done, and I did ones with a friend of mine: We installed the Core-edition from the MiniCD and then manually emerged xorg-server, kdelibs and libgnome to have kde and gnome libraries and then installed fluxbox with kde and gnome useflags enabled. Even Knetworkmanager did work on fluxbox :D the only problem we first had was that when we clicked on the icon it opened and closed at the same time, so it wasn't really usable. Until I checked the Xorg.conf and remembered the double mouse implementation :mrgreen: :eye:

But I think the way I explained above is a bit painfull when you know you could install a complete system in a couple of hours less.

I hope you understand what I tried to say XD...

Grtzz Dre
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03

It can be done but then you end up back to gentoo default install with the whole thing compiling from scratch or bin packages and this will take hours like in gentoo. Not sure how many persons would do it this way time wise.

It would make sense to do this as it ends up with a controled 100% customized i686 to your make.conf / hardware and can work nicely with Equo / entropy + a few scripts to do the hardware detect and automate it / finetune for best performance etc and execute it. This will save hours later on and cut down the bugs we have to 30% of current. Even a web page type yes / no / add text to make.conf control panel thingy to do this that then writes a custom install script from the default one with already correct options DROOOLLLLLLLLLL . Likely only with the DVD install for the bin packages. ?
Might then be able to make a default script for hardware X and upload it to a server / mirror and others with the same hardware can during the install auto download and use / tweak it or make a default new one as they like.
:mrgreen:
Man if only there was more time and hands to help do this.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions