Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Postby CatalanUser » Wed Nov 14, 2007 17:02

- The installer should recognise other Linux systems installed in other partitions and put their entries in the GRUB. Some other distros do that do that job for us, so it shouldn't be dificult to implement.
CatalanUser
Growing Hen

Postby eshum » Wed Nov 14, 2007 17:24

Include Kmymoney would be my only request. :)

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 21:04

joost wrote:
Make sure you are connected to the Internet

Its good to better inform people to first update installer (this actually fixes some installer bugs that may have been fixed after the build) but you cannot force people to have a working internet connection to install sabayon.

Though i think the Live desktop should at least have a readme with release notes, version and install help.

Point taken, but from what I understand if one does not run Update Installer then SL may not work fully after installation. For example see a current thread where one of the devs Dark_MaGe tells a user that if he had run Update Installer before installing PE 1.1 then his sound card would have worked:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11474

So I think that, at the very least, when one double-clicks "Install to Disk" a warning message should be displayed: "WARNING: Have you connected to the Internet and updated the Installer using the shortcut on the LiveDVD/CD desktop? If you have not then some functions may not work after installation. Continue with the installation (y/n)?" and, if you type "n", the installer would exit with the message "To update the installer make sure you are connected to the Internet and then double-click on the Update Installer icon on the desktop. Then re-run Install to Disk."
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 21:11

If i understood correctly this will be integrated in the installer itself.

But ofcourse you are right, it should be clear that this update-installer program should be run first before starting installer.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby juancarlospaco » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:28

First, sorry for my inglish.

ok, Portato stay.

-i ask, other distros have in the Wine menu a symlink "Uninstall Wine applications" in the Wine item in Kickoff,
can include that?, please.

To the people say "Juancarlospaco use the PE edition",
please understand i have been installed and configure many computers in Argentina/Buenos Aires,
like tech support, i explain to Windoze users the great benefits of Linux
(No virus, no disk Defrag, no Spyware, its free, etc etc), and users (common people) not too much convenced,
but finally i talk about the Advanced 3D Dektop of Linux, simply showing this two videos:

" Look..., you can have this 3D desktop on your PC, compare them with the Vista´s Desktop "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2U0V0RvCLM
Clients before watch the videos, say " I want this!!!, Install this on my PC!, erase Vista Basic!!! "

but, need all productivity tools too, if its comes with a beautifull desktop better.
and if the tools comes in a DVD much better for me!!! (and for all, no time to download one by one)
Listen, the Windoze tech support´s have a Windows Unnatended Edition (windows UE, AllinOneDVD, Angelical, etc ),
this distro is the Linux version of this, much better obviously,
because exist another distros like " Knnopix ", comes with a lot of apps but its not beauty like Sabayon, and users dont like.
to pass a lot of people to Linux it have to be beautifull and fully functional.

Sabayon "Out of the box" is better than XP, Vista, Linux Mint, Knnopix and Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

Argentina´s like Sabayon.
juancarlospaco
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:07

If you read the blog carefully, note that you can create standalone installable/portable packages using equo(tm).
So perhaps you should just use the 3.4F disc to start and create the installable packages and put those on a USB-stick.

So when you are done installing on any PC, plug in your USB-stick and install your custom build programs rapidly.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby juancarlospaco » Thu Nov 15, 2007 18:58

yes, everything is posible, but, is not the best.
in Argentina we says " instalar y salir andando " is the best feature.
I can make "Linux from Scracht " too :lol:
I have made Packages for Linux with Windows installers (.exe) and install it (runs with Wine)

But today we have to give all posibilities as you can to the Users with EASY.

In example a Windows unatended can autoinstall itself with all the apps, all menus have a Timeout, if no selection is changed it continues with the default option selection until the next menu selection (with a timeout too), it autoinstall itself alone.

Ubuntu ultimate Edition have post instalation a tiny, simply pop-up GUI comes up with saying:
"This Distro doesn´t come with blahblah, blahblah, blahblah and blahblah etc , do you like to automatic download and install the last version of them? Acept Cancel " (it would be a frontend to sudo apt-get install blahblah, we can make te same).

Sabayon 3.5 have to be a revolutionary Distro, a 4,699Gb Distro or the people continues passing to Ubuntu Ultimate.
juancarlospaco
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:31

Just thought of another thing that would be very nice to have (back).

In 3.26 and 3.3 it was possible to do the following:

K Menu > Control Centre > Peripherals > Display

and select a screen size (resolution) from a pull-down menu, just like I can do in Windows XP.

Since 3.4 it has not been possible to do this, only to select the monitor frequency. The pull-down menu for screen size consists of one entry: the maximum resolution of the laptop's built-in monitor as detected automatically via DDC (Display Data Channel).

If I plug in an external monitor with a lower resolution than the laptop's built in monitor then I see a virtual desktop on the external monitor that is bigger than the monitor's screen, and I have to edit xorg.conf (or have multiple versions of it to copy over) to get the correct screen size for the external monitor.

This is inconvenient for us laptop uses, as every time we plug our laptops into an external monitor with a different resolution to the laptop's built-in monitor we have to edit xorg.conf (or have a different version of xorg.conf which we copy over the existing one) and then restart SL.

I have created a set of three bash scripts and three Desktop Config Files (shortcuts): one for 1680 x 1050 resolution (my laptop's monitor), one for 1440 x 900 resolution (my external monitor) and one for 1024 x 768 resolution (PC projector for presentations). I have to double-click on one of these and then restart the laptop, because SL always sets the resolution to the laptop's resolution unless I alter xorg.conf. Today I wanted to connect to yet another size of monitor at the office and would have had to create yet another version of xorg.conf -- in the end I gave up. I wish the 'Peripherals > Display' method could be returned. Don't get me wrong, automatic detection of screen size is good, but one should still be able to select other screen sizes via Control Centre.

For people with desktop/tower PCs who never change monitor this is not an issue, but for us laptop users who move around a lot and switch monitors frequently it's a nuisance. It would be great if we could have the old facility back. I promise to make another modest financial contribution to the cause if the devs manage to put this into 3.5. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby acfreema » Sun Nov 18, 2007 15:53

after using ubuntu since the release of 6.1, i've really gotten into the swing of gnome desktop... after using the live 3.4f dvd, the layout of gnome is... uncomfortable, awkward.
i think it would be great if gnome were layed out more like ubuntu's gnome, or, more like kda. first, please read my suggestion before deciding it is bunk.
perhaps, more people would be attracted to sabayon ifthe gui behaved more like ubuntu? largely, i despise the bug, windows-like panel menu; i prefer a simple list of what's available. actually, when i first booted into gnome, i thought: is this suse? wha...?
i think there are many people that are like me that want to be able to optimize their machine (gentoo-style) who also want something that is easily configured upon install (not gentoo). i've been a happy ubuntu user since i abandoned windows on my laptop at college last year (i still use xp on my "desktop", for games), but sabayon really interests me by offering more customizability and optimization (nocona, anyone?).

on another note, how much longer will it be before we start seeing em64t optimized linux distros?
still a different point, hopefully sabayon is just the kick that the gentoo project needs to stay around longer.
acfreema
Young Hen

Postby highlandernone » Sun Nov 18, 2007 16:28

hi , I've trying to make sabayon change the resolution for the past day :x without success ....
why not add a way to tell the installation what max resolution to handle , before , the gui starts ? :)
highlandernone
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions