Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 20:12

How about a warning message when you click on "Install to Disk": WARNING: Have you updated the Installer using the shortcut on the LiveDVD/CD desktop (y/n)?" and, if you type "no" then the installer exits with the message "You must update the installer in order to install Sabayon Linux to your hard disk. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and then double-click on the Update Installer icon on the desktop before running Install to Disk."
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby juancarlospaco » Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:33

Fitzcarraldo wrote: would be a feature-for-feature comparison of Kuroo and Portato. What features does Portato have that Kuroo doesn't, and vice versa?

yesss...
Portato´s need more features, like History, progressbars, etc, etc, most users like them.
Personally i use CLI (sudo emerge --verbose xyz )

-Replace Nexuiz with Open Arena http://openarena.ws/? , if are you looking for screenshots http://www.moddb.com/games/5727/openarena/images
juancarlospaco
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Tue Nov 13, 2007 22:15

Make sure you are connected to the Internet

Its good to better inform people to first update installer (this actually fixes some installer bugs that may have been fixed after the build) but you cannot force people to have a working internet connection to install sabayon.

Though i think the Live desktop should at least have a readme with release notes, version and install help.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Tue Nov 13, 2007 22:22

@juancarlospaco

You might be more interested in Sabayon PE.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby juancarlospaco » Tue Nov 13, 2007 22:46

joost wrote:@juancarlospaco

You might be more interested in Sabayon PE.

No,
but why ...?
juancarlospaco
Baby Hen

Postby Necoro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 23:03

juancarlospaco wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote: would be a feature-for-feature comparison of Kuroo and Portato. What features does Portato have that Kuroo doesn't, and vice versa?

yesss...
Portato´s need more features, like History, progressbars, etc, etc, most users like them.

Sorry - but my crystal ball broke a few weeks ago. So currently I'm not able to read thoughts... Perhaps you want to share them either in the portato thread, in a new thread here or in Portato's Forums. 8)
  • History :arrow: that means?
  • progressbar :arrow: progressbars for emerge are quite useless ... how do you want to know the time in advance? - but nevertheless there is a project moomerge/moonitor, which does exactly this. So I won't do anything in this direction (except someone implements it for me) but wait for this project to be available.
  • etc, etc :arrow: as stated above - please share your thoughts :)
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby joost » Tue Nov 13, 2007 23:06

@juancarlospaco
Because it holds more office tools and is on the stable branch.

:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 14, 2007 0:30

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
wolfden wrote:Kuroo isn't developed any more, look at it's website.

Well, a new issue 0.81_rc1 was released on 31 August 2007 and a 'lite' version on 10 September 2007 so, to paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated. I have to say that I like Kuroo and use it a lot. Having read the dire warnings about Kuroo in the Forum, for several months after discovering SL I was too scared to use Kuroo to install packages, only using it to browse Portage and doing all my emerging via the command line. Then I thought I'd 'risk' giving Kuroo a try and was surprised to find it to be very usable, and have used it frequently since.

What would be useful -- perhaps from Necoro himself, as he knows his own package the best (and presumably the competition too, as no doubt he has studied them) -- would be a feature-for-feature comparison of Kuroo and Portato. What features does Portato have that Kuroo doesn't, and vice versa?

Regardless, the development is slow, it's very problematic. The owner is asking others to take it over and nobody will. It is available via portage if one still wants it tho.

Necoro will listen and he implements feature requests if he can. Give him suggestions and see what he can do. You have a better shot of him improving a great program vs. kuroo getting fixes or even a new release.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Ric » Wed Nov 14, 2007 14:28

Thanks for asking :)
I still think mini versions fully configured for the CPUs would be good, especially because sabayon is the only disrto that is in a position to do so. :D
( My efforts to do this were...clumsy :oops:
Act weird. It supports freedom.
It gives others permission to act weird too.
Ric
Simple Hen

Postby CatalanUser » Wed Nov 14, 2007 16:16

I think it would be good to add an application to automate the install the programs in the desired installation language...

For example:
In PE 1.1 I selected Catalan at the installation program, but after the install the whole system is in English so I have to emerge kde-i18n-ca, openoffice, ... to have all the applications and kde in Catalan... I think there would be good to add an application to automate all that work...

Thank you for listening to our opinion... :D
CatalanUser
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions