KDE user manager missing

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE user manager missing

Postby fanis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 0:40

I am new to sabayon, installed it today. I know nothing about Sabayon or Gentoo.

first I tried gnome (thinking that I was more familiar to gnome-like desktop) but I was unable to configure in the way I like the layout switching. So I installed again sabayon with KDE this time. I was able to configure layout switching in a way simmilar I remembered have done it on fedora 15 (with gnome-shell then). What is wrong with gnome people? Gnome design is seriously broken

back to my KDE problem (I also know nothing about KDE, but I am willing to give it a try)

I want to add new users. The user management icon is missing like in this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2135461

I went to Rigo and searched for a tool and found "System Config Users 1.2.96-r2~0" already installed.

There is no "system-config-users" at the terminal ("system-c" autocompletes to "system-config-printer")

what is the problem?
fanis
Baby Hen

Re: KDE user manager missing

Postby tollgate » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:10

You should have kuser installed.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby fanis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29

first, thank you for an answer. although somewhat usefull (as a kde n00b I did not knew about kuser, I found it about an hour ago) it does not answer my problem (where is the simple config users tool)

If I am desperate I could also use the terminal (command line). That is not that far away from kuser.
The problem with kuser is that I am too n00b to use it corectly. There are a whole bunch of groups that I know little about. For example in mint debian (that now is my main OS) I belong to only two (2) groups. Myself and sudo. In sabayon I see 21 groups and I see no group named sudo. So appart that I have to add all of them to give user status I do not know which I should not add to not make him sudoer.
fanis
Baby Hen

Postby tollgate » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:45

Fanis - I would make a note of all the groups your current user is in, and then replicate this for the new user.

We do not really use sudo in Sabayon. We use su instead. I thinks it's the wheel group that gives acces to su.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby fanis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:19

thank you for the info.

still it is a workaround of the problem, not a solution, and you did not said if I only face it on sabayon or users config tool misses to everyone on sabayon. In the later case Sabayon is not friendly to newbies and it is bad as I see no justification for it. If most people have this tool then I face a problem and even if we do not find the solution I think I should know at least.
fanis
Baby Hen

Postby tollgate » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06

Fanis - as far as I know, kuser is the correct gui tool to use in KDE. You are not missing anything. There is also a command line tool called superadduser you might want to try out.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby fanis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06

From what I saw it is clear that there should exist a tool at system settings in system administration tab that is not kuser. So it seems that it misses from Sabayon.
fanis
Baby Hen

Postby tollgate » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26

Perhaps kuser should be in system settings. But it's no big deal really. At least it's installed by default and once you know it's on your system you should be OK.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby fanis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 21:17

I think that now I see what is happening. The common KDE tool for the job is kuser. But...

most distributions have a simpler specific tool. The tool I was expecting is kubuntu specific. Other distributions have other ways. This link http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread ... Management gives a glance.

tollgate wrote:Perhaps kuser should be in system settings. But it's no big deal really.

kuser is a nice general graphic interface for managing users and groups instead of doing the same job from text terminal. But if Sabayon wants to be easier for newbies a tool with simple choices like other distributions have would be good.
fanis
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers