This thread is used for announcement of the portato package manager only. Please do not use this to discuss problems. See the Known Issues section below and use the appropriate thread, create a new one for your problem or use the old portato thread. If you have issues concerning the announcement you should post it here, though
A short introduction for these who don't know what Portato is:
Portato is a GUI for the package manager of Gentoo/Sabayon portage.
- NEW: allow eix as backend DB
- NEW: show the list of world packages
- NEW: allow to search descriptions
- NEW: add an icon to signal the 'best' version for a package
- CHANGE: use an internal messagequeue module instead of external shm
- FIX: bugmail sending
- I18N: Italian translation - thanks to Ponsi
- I18N: French translation - thanks to Clément 'moonpyk' Bourgeois
Q: Portato suckz. Which are other GUIs out there...
A: You might have a look at porthole, kuroo or himerge.
Q: I use pkgcore/paludis/equo. Does it work with it too?
Q: Portato is great. Can I do something to make it even better?
A: Yeah - of course. Have a look at the Supporting section .
Q: I want a new feature to be included in portato. Whom should I beg?
A: File a feature request here: http://necoro.eu/portato/r/bugs
Layman gives me an error during sync of portato overlay (something with changed location).
This is due to the change of the hoster. Delete and re-add the overlay. But as the svn ebuild (9999) is the only one remaining in there, you can remove the overlay completely in most cases.
Portato needs support on different fields:
- Translating - As of version 0.8.5 portato supports different languages. If you want to get your language into portato or improve an existing one - see http://necoro.eu/portato/translating
- Documentation - User Documentation is not existing at the moment . Feel free to write one
- Testing - Test the application and file bugs . (Someone who wants to write unittests is warmly welcomed...)
- Development - Of course Portato always needs developer. You should know the basic principles of (object-oriented) programming, but don't need to know Python or Gtk.
Email: portato (at) necoro (dot) net
IM: are listed in my profile