- which beryl version do you have installed? (type beryl -v and emerald --version and beryl-manager --version and in a console window) Maybe there is an easier way to retrieve all the information about beryl, but I don't know it, sorry.
- which graphics card do you use? Is it nvidia or ati?
- do you see the beryl-icon in the upper taskbar? Right click on that and tell us which window manager is selected. Probably you suffer from fallback to another window manager.
- right klick on the desktop, choose "start" and enter kdesu accel-manager Which acceleration mode do you employ? For Nvidia choose AIGLX. Look for the GL-Status message in that window.
- open up a console window, get root (type in su and enter your root password) Then type in beryl and look for the next few lines to come which might tell you something about the reasons beryl won't work for on your PC. Post us the results.
I tried to repair it using live-dvd and that reapir mode which check install packets because full repair takes 2-3h but I think that is only way out from that problem because I got such an funny message when I typed into console with root rights:
andu@sabayonx86 ~ $ su
sabayonx86 andu # beryl
beryl: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory