i've been using Kanotix (a distro fully compatible with Debian Sid) for a couple of months now, and i'm very, very happy with it. but i still can't resist the urge to try out new distros. i've always wanted to try gentoo, but the compile time scares me a bit. personally, i don't really mind waiting for everything to compile, but as we only have one pc in our house, not everyone around here can wait for that. then i recently found out about SabayonLinux. it sort of made me think that SabayonLinux is to Gentoo like Kanotix is to Debian, in that it makes improvements to its 'parent', while retaining full compatibility. another similarity is that both SabayonLinux and Kanotix have a small but extremely helpful and friendly community.
i got really interested. so i'm going to take the plunge as soon as 3.0RC2 comes out. i'm really excited, but i still have a lot of questions.
1. what advice would you give a Debian user trying out a Gentoo-based distro for the first time? what differences should i expect?
2. is there a howto showing the equivalent commands between emerge/portage (which i've never used before) and apt?
3. is there a way to install debian binaries in SabayonLinux? (just in case)
4. one feature i'm really interested in is the reiser4 filesystem. should i have any concerns over using it?
5. my system is 64-bit capable but is a bit slow by today's standards (Sempron64 2600+, 256MB RAM, GeForce FX5500). which would you recommend, the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
thanks in advance!